News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Road Trips You Want To Go On At Least Once In Your Life

Started by US 41, September 08, 2014, 04:14:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

02 Park Ave

C-o-H

riiga

Already been there, but that was in 2003 and I was only 11...   :-P

NE2

You could be an asshole and drive on the left in a right-hand-drive country.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

02 Park Ave

Too bad you can't go back in time; Sweden itself used to be a left-hand drive country.
C-o-H

riiga

Indeed. I would really like to if I could, this place looked much cooler back in the day.

Downtown Stockholm then (neon lights, left-hand drive traffic and yellow markings)

vs now

US 41

I feel like it would be really hard to turn a left side driving country into a right side driving country. First off it would take a lot of construction, sign movement, and paint.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

02 Park Ave

C-o-H

english si

The last changes were drive-on-right to drive-on-left (Samoa, Falkland Islands after liberation) and took a couple of hours overnight.

But they were small countries with not a huge amount of traffic (plus the Falkland Islands was a reversion after the invading Argentines changed the side of the road driven on, so it wasn't difficult).

I think the DfT costed converting the UK as a bit of fun - it was massively expensive and would take ages to fully sort the signs out (you'd spend a year or two placing the safety critical ones, but bagged up). Not even the conformity zealots think it a reasonable idea (though they still think the UK having the Euro would be a good idea :no:)

SSOWorld

Given what I've driven already I'm running out of easy ones First here is what I've driven/been a passenger on already
* CA 1 Big Sur
* I-70 KC to west end
* I-55 end-to-end in fragments.
* New Jersey Turnpike (both the urban and the scenic) and Garden State Parkway (both suburban and scenic)
* CA 2 (Angeles Crest Hwy)
* Trail Ridge Road (RMNP)
* NC 12
* Southern Tier Expwy (I-86/NY-17) to Deposit NY from West end
* I-15 from I-70 southward (Virgin River Gorge, vastness through NV and CA)
* UT-9 (Zion NP)
* US-163 (Monument Valley)
* Freeways in SE Louisiana (oh the bridges - ka-dunk, ka-dunk, ka-dunk,... and all are raised - no digging.)
* Name that bridge in SF or NY.

Now, for the drives of my dreams - most of which I must face reality for and not bother doing.
* drive through Canada into Alaska.
* Trans-Canada Hwy
* Autobahnen
* Going-to-the-Sun Road (Glacier NP)
* Hawaii Highways
* Along the West Coast (US-101) and inland (I-5) - NOTE: No need to go south of I-80 for this one :awesomeface:
* Finish I-70 (KC eastward, skip between Indy and Morgantown since I have that and don't want to drive it again
* finish I-80 (Cheyenne to Reno)
* finish I-90 (Black Hills to Missoula, MT - I just have small gaps left - biggest being between I-25 JCT and Butte)
* finish I-35 (South of Dallas - only a 3-day texas drive :P)
* Overseas Highway
* US-6 Cape Cod
* I-95 to Canada - such a lonely road
* speaking of loneliest roads - US-50 in Nevada.
* UK Motorways - like backing-up at high speed, but not. :awesomeface:
* Traversing Australia - pipe dream for sure, but I'll settle for patches of it.

One issue with out-of-USA (besides the usual Big Brutha shit) - knowing how to drive stick is definitely something I gotta recall.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

leroys73

The only state I have yet to drive in is Alaska so a road trip to there along with Yellowknife is my number one.  I want to do it by motorcycle and again by 4 wheels.

Next would be to ride my motorcycle up to Newfoundland and Labrador.  I have driven to Nova Scotia but didn't make the ferry trip to NL.

These both should be finished by 2016 if my plans are not interrupted again next summer.   

I've driven from Munich to Athens via Yugoslavia (August 1968) but I'd still like to do it on a motorcycle and continue on to Istanbul with a return up through Bulgaria, Romania, Hungary, Slovakia, and Czech Republic.  I know there are tours for this but the $$$ are the limiting factor. 
'73 Vette, '72 Monte Carlo, ;11 Green with Envy Challenger R/T,Ram, RoyalStarVenture S,USA Honda VTX1300R ridden 49states &11provinces,Driven cars in50 states+DC&21countries,OverseasBrats;IronButt:MileEatersilver,SS1000Gold,SS3000,3xSS2000,18xSS1000, 3TX1000,6BB1500,NPT,LakeSuperiorCircleTour

ZLoth

My list of roads:

• Trans-Canadian Highway from Victoria, British Columbia to Newfoundland
  • US-50 from Carson City to Delta, Utah
  • I-70 from Cove Fort, UT to Denver, CO
  • US-6 from Tonopah, NV to Ely, NV
  • US-50, I-80, I-90 Cross Country
  • Atlantic Ocean Road in Norway
I know, minor list.
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

US 41

Quote from: ZLoth on November 23, 2014, 06:04:33 AM
My list of roads:

• Trans-Canadian Highway from Victoria, British Columbia to Newfoundland
  • US-50 from Carson City to Delta, Utah
  • I-70 from Cove Fort, UT to Denver, CO
  • US-6 from Tonopah, NV to Ely, NV
  • US-50, I-80, I-90 Cross Country
I know, minor list.

I would be willing to do all those except the one in Norway. I think for now on I will be keeping my travels in North America (US, Canada, and Mexico). I hate flying and all though Mexico can be risky, it is a lot safer than Central American countries.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

english si

^^ They have these things called cruise liners that can transport you across the ocean.

vdeane

Quote from: english si on November 23, 2014, 10:50:34 AM
^^ They have these things called cruise liners that can transport you across the ocean.
Aren't they expensive and take a long time?  Probably more of a thing to do if you win cash a day for life or something than for a normal vacation.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

froggie

Cunard Lines schedules 7 days for the trip between New York and Southampton, though from personal experience it can be done in 5ish.  But yes it's expensive...several hundred dollars for one-way steerage.

Mapmikey

Quote from: froggie on November 23, 2014, 03:46:12 PM
Cunard Lines schedules 7 days for the trip between New York and Southampton, though from personal experience it can be done in 5ish.  But yes it's expensive...several hundred dollars for one-way steerage.

Deals can be had on this journey if you are willing to go during the winter...definitely recommend an inside cabin for the trip back to NY no matter when you go.  Excellent for sleeping/recovery and 5 of the 7 days are 25 hour days.

The bigger problem is having their schedule coincide with yours...if they are just turning around and coming right back that is not useful for traveling around Europe.  They also do a different extreme and go all over the place over several weeks before coming back across the pond.

I feel fortunate to have been able to do this where my stay in England was 9 days back in 2012.  Have been trying to find a way to do it again with the intent of cruising to Norway but haven't found a schedule that fits into the maximum amount of time off my boss will allow (31 days including the weekends...).

Mapmikey

leroys73

Quote from: ZLoth on November 23, 2014, 06:04:33 AM

Done most of those on your list. This one I didn't know it existed. I definitely would like to do it either by car or motorcycle but It'll have to go to my dream list as I doubt I'll ever get to Europe again.

Thanks for sharing it with us.  Hope you get to drive it.
'73 Vette, '72 Monte Carlo, ;11 Green with Envy Challenger R/T,Ram, RoyalStarVenture S,USA Honda VTX1300R ridden 49states &11provinces,Driven cars in50 states+DC&21countries,OverseasBrats;IronButt:MileEatersilver,SS1000Gold,SS3000,3xSS2000,18xSS1000, 3TX1000,6BB1500,NPT,LakeSuperiorCircleTour

RoadWarrior56

I have already driven the entire Alaska Highway nine years ago ( I highly recommend it, BTW).  I want to drive I-70 west of Denver at least once.

TheHighwayMan3561

self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

leroys73

Quote from: Alps on September 08, 2014, 11:36:05 PM
I have a lot planned, so here are the unplanned:
* Dalton Highway (I'll drive one way, not both)
* PEI remaining route clinch
* HI remaining route clinch
* Pan-Am Highway
* Cross country and back on non-freeways
* US 61

great choices.  I am doing the Dalton, both ways next July on a motorcycle.  Many have went before.

OCGuy81

The one that's really more a pipe dream than anything would be driving coast to coast WITHOUT getting on a freeway.  It'd take a long time, and require some planning in advance, but sticking to mostly US and state routes that aren't freeways.  Probably get tougher as you head east.

vdeane

If anything I'd think the opposite... interstates out east tend to have parallel local roads... not so much out west where the interstates were built right on top of the US routes.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

NE2

I'll try Boston to Frisco avoiding major cities. US 20 gets you to Erie (20A in Springfield; detour via Troy if you must avoid the Albany-Rensselaer bridge), then US 19 to Meadville, US 322 and PA 18 to Sharon, old route to Warren, SR 5 to Ravenna, SR 59 and old alignment to Akron, SR 18 to Medina, US 42 to Lodi, US 224 to Huntington, US 24 to Lewistown, US 136 to Edison, US 6 to Sterling, SH 14 to Baker Mountain, US 40 to Duchesne, US 191 to Helper, US 6 to Ely (old alignment in Spanish Fork-Payson), US 50 to Carson City, SR 88 to Stockton, SR 4 to Brentwood, Vasco Road to Livermore, then you have multiple choices to hook around through San Jose.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

02 Park Ave

C-o-H

Takumi

-the entirety of the Blue Ridge Parkway
-Tail of the Dragon
-NC 12 end to end
-US 17 end to end
-US 58 end to end
-US 1 to Key West
-Pacific Coast Highway
-trips to Toronto and Vancouver
-Transfagarasan in Romania
-going on the unrestricted Autobahn in a Porsche 911 Turbo
-a trip in southern Europe
-the Tokyo Bay Aqua Line
-the Isle of Man TT course
-various trips in the UK
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.