Regional Boards > Mid-Atlantic

West Virginia

<< < (4/88) > >>

tckma:
I was driving in WV this morning (on WV 45 from the MD state line toward Martinsburg), and I saw some new route shields I'd never seen before -- they were like your weird fractional county routes, but in a "home plate" shaped shield.

I can't find an example in GMSV, but the imagery along WV45 is several years old.

What is this?

Alps:

--- Quote from: tckma on January 27, 2018, 07:44:17 PM ---I was driving in WV this morning (on WV 45 from the MD state line toward Martinsburg), and I saw some new route shields I'd never seen before -- they were like your weird fractional county routes, but in a "home plate" shaped shield.

I can't find an example in GMSV, but the imagery along WV45 is several years old.

What is this?

--- End quote ---
"Driveway routes" - they're so small they're not even secondary or tertiary (triangle - yes there are more shapes) routes. Basically they feed a few homes and that's it. The most basic possible maintenance, but still state maintained.

hbelkins:
Yes, they're called HARP routes -- Home Access Road Program. SP Cook can give a better definition of their history, but basically they are roads that serve two or more homes that otherwise may not have been in the public maintenance fold. Now they are.

SP Cook:
HARP.  Home Access Road Program.  Political program of late Gov. Underwood (97-01).  WV has a long history of "orphan roads" which are just roads that developed to serve housing and commerce, built by the community, or the coal companies, or whatever.  Had been a serious political issue for a long time.  This was Underwood's answer. 

Program was abused to some degree.  Pretty much the state would give you a sign and a promise to perfom "as is maintance" if the neighbors would all sign a petition.  Lots of "roads" that were really just driveways, and lots of much more modern suburban tract housing streets were taken in.  State make no legal claim to real estate ownership. 

Next governor cancelled the program on day one. 

The symbol is supposed to by a house, think the little houses in Monopoly.  The proper way to index such a road is "County HARP #".  Numbering system is seperate from the regular County numbers.  Some counties used the unique to WV "fractional" system, some did not.

tckma:
Interesting.  So, these were basically political favors to very small neighborhoods, just to give their driveway a route number?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version