Non-Road Boards > Off-Topic

This is true? - Geographic oddities that defy conventional wisdom

<< < (290/293) > >>

empirestate:

--- Quote from: thenetwork on May 29, 2022, 03:41:39 PM ---There are NO bridge crossings over the Amazon River proper anywhere in South America.

--- End quote ---

The real oddity would be if there were one on some other continent. :-)

michravera:

--- Quote from: thenetwork on May 29, 2022, 03:41:39 PM ---There are NO bridge crossings over the Amazon River proper anywhere in South America.

--- End quote ---
Yeah, the bridge at Manaus crosses the Rio Negro, but not the Amazon. My understanding is more that no road network goes close enough to it where it is narrow and where there is a road network, you wouldn't want to build a bridge because the level changes enough that you'd either have to build it too high or it would get flooded and it would be too long to do any good.

oscar:

--- Quote from: JayhawkCO on May 26, 2022, 11:36:12 AM ---This isn't really geographic, but I thought I would put it here.

Kiribati is pronounced KEE-ree-BOSS.

Gilbertese (the language of Kiribati) uses 'ti' to make S sounds. So for instance, Christmas Island in the local dialect is Kiritimati.

--- End quote ---

The Hawaiian language, and Hawaiian place names, use similar workarounds for letters missing from the Hawaiian alphabet (such as C, R, S, and T). K gets used a lot as a substitute for C or S. Vowels also get a lot of work, with five vowels in the alphabet but only seven consonants.

michravera:

--- Quote from: oscar on May 30, 2022, 07:04:38 AM ---
--- Quote from: JayhawkCO on May 26, 2022, 11:36:12 AM ---This isn't really geographic, but I thought I would put it here.

Kiribati is pronounced KEE-ree-BOSS.

Gilbertese (the language of Kiribati) uses 'ti' to make S sounds. So for instance, Christmas Island in the local dialect is Kiritimati.

--- End quote ---

The Hawaiian language, and Hawaiian place names, use similar workarounds for letters missing from the Hawaiian alphabet (such as C, R, S, and T). K gets used a lot as a substitute for C or S. Vowels also get a lot of work, with five vowels in the alphabet but only seven consonants.

--- End quote ---

I've often joked that perhaps, the Hawaiians could sell some of their extra vowels to Poland and the Poles could sell some of their extra consonants to Hawaii.

kkt:

--- Quote from: CtrlAltDel on May 26, 2022, 12:04:33 PM ---I recently learned that Hawaii is not part of NATO.

--- End quote ---

The mutual defense part of the NATO treaty is only mandatory for member countries' territories within North America and Europe.  So not only Hawaii, but the British territory of the Falkland Islands are not covered, territories in West Africa that were ruled by France at the time the NATO treaty was negotiated, even Spain's little inholding of Cueta in Africa is not covered.

Doesn't mean the other NATO countries necessarily ignore it if such territories were invaded, but they would have an out of they wanted one.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version