Non-Road Boards > Off-Topic

This is true? - Geographic oddities that defy conventional wisdom

<< < (291/291)

Scott5114:

--- Quote from: kkt on June 03, 2022, 12:48:37 AM ---
--- Quote from: CtrlAltDel on May 26, 2022, 12:04:33 PM ---I recently learned that Hawaii is not part of NATO.

--- End quote ---

The mutual defense part of the NATO treaty is only mandatory for member countries' territories within North America and Europe.  So not only Hawaii, but the British territory of the Falkland Islands are not covered, territories in West Africa that were ruled by France at the time the NATO treaty was negotiated, even Spain's little inholding of Cueta in Africa is not covered.

Doesn't mean the other NATO countries necessarily ignore it if such territories were invaded, but they would have an out of they wanted one.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, like I said upthread, if Putin decided he wanted to nuke Honolulu, I doubt anyone would object to the US invoking Article 5.

kphoger:

--- Quote from: Scott5114 on June 03, 2022, 05:05:51 PM ---Yeah, like I said upthread, if Putin decided he wanted to nuke Honolulu, I doubt anyone would object to the US invoking Article 5.

--- End quote ---

Except Putin, perhaps.

Road Hog:

--- Quote from: CtrlAltDel on May 26, 2022, 12:04:33 PM ---I recently learned that Hawaii is not part of NATO.

--- End quote ---
Neither is Mississippi. Damn.

Scott5114:

--- Quote from: Road Hog on June 06, 2022, 09:54:43 PM ---

--- End quote ---
Neither is Mississippi. Damn.

--- End quote ---

How do you figure? The reason Hawaii isn't technically part of NATO, so far as I can tell, is because it's south of the Tropic of Cancer.

Road Hog:
I had to tick down the president's list and Arkansas has every early president between Washington and Van Buren as a county namesake except Adams (both of them), funny enough.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version