News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

photos of old signs on the internet

Started by agentsteel53, January 28, 2009, 03:08:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

agentsteel53

AARoads is going to be putting a shield gallery together soon... and we're looking for any and all examples of old highway signs that conform to obsolete standards.  Whether they be cutout US shields, or a former style of state marker (i.e. Florida with the keys), whatever ... either stand-alone or on green/black/white guide signs.

the first step is to find them... so please post links to pictures, websites, etc, that have them.  If they're copyrighted, we'll get the permissions as necessary, but the first thing to do is simply find them.  Whether they're field photos, or people's collections, either way works.

I'm especially interested in long-dead websites that I may not know about, or failed to catch when they were around - so if anyone is an archive.org expert, now is your time to shine.  For example, most of these links are quite dead, but I know they had good information back in the day:

http://www.gribblenation.com/links.html

(quick, anyone wanna find Spui or Mr Yamamoto??)
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

agentsteel53

thanks! 

can we put those on the AAroads shield gallery when it is online?  if so, how would you like to be credited?

jake@aaroads.com

US71

Quote from: agentsteel53 on January 28, 2009, 07:02:42 PM
thanks! 

can we put those on the AAroads shield gallery when it is online?  if so, how would you like to be credited?

Go ahead and use my name.
----

There's also a collection at the Univ of Arkansas with old signs and another in Oklahoma. I'll ask Jeremy Lance where those are at.

I've also got a message out to Yamamoto as well as Mark Roberts from cosmos-monitor.

agentsteel53

jake@aaroads.com

us44mt

Very cool cutouts US71. The old state shaped cutouts are quite nice.   

Alex

You can use the two old style U.S highway signs I photographed in Prichard the other day. That's as old as it gets outside of keys shields in this region.

Voyager

*takes photos of historic US 40 in Vacaville*
Back From The Dead | AARoads Forum Original

agentsteel53

Quote from: aaroads on January 28, 2009, 10:53:25 PM
You can use the two old style U.S highway signs I photographed in Prichard the other day. That's as old as it gets outside of keys shields in this region.
cool!  those are definitely going to go up... I'm trying to get a variety of shapes and styles. 

I have 3469 files collected on my hard drive right now.  Not all of those are shields, and I don't yet have the permission to use them all, but I imagine at least 1000 will make the gallery initially, and then as many as 2000.

jake@aaroads.com

US71

This is a little subtle:
the MO 13 sign is current, but MO 86 is 60's era: a little but smaller silhouette & smaller numbers.

Older Mississippi highway sign

One must not forget the "rainbow" signs  :nod:

CityBoy1986

Robert Lee has several on state-ends.com, but he seems to have disappeared.  He hasn't updated since February of last year, and I sent in a couple of pictures since then.

agentsteel53

one certainly must not forget the rainbow shields.  When did you take that photo?  I last saw them in July of 08... and that was the only gantry left, as far as I know.

jake@aaroads.com

WillWeaverRVA

I've got a few, but a lot of them are available elsewhere. Some aren't, though:

I've got versions without watermarks, as well.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Alex

I don't think I've ever seen photos of Interstate 195 Virginia shields that are in the 3di shield.

When was the last time you saw an Interstate 85 Virginia shield? I swore I saw one in 1999 in Petersburg, but could never find it on return visits.

WillWeaverRVA

There are a select few normal-size (and neutered) 3di I-195 shields floating about in Richmond.

(There's also one more on Idlewood Avenue at the ramp to northbound I-195, and two on Hamilton Street...those are the only ones I'm aware of)

As for the state-named I-85 shield in Petersburg, I'm not entirely sure I want to go to Petersburg to search for one, but if it's anywhere it'd likely be at the Squirrel Level Rd interchange.
Will Weaver

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Alex

Quote from: SyntheticDreamer on February 03, 2009, 11:45:05 PM
There are a select few normal-size (and neutered) 3di I-195 shields floating about in Richmond.

As for the state-named I-85 shield in Petersburg, I'm not entirely sure I want to go to Petersburg to search for one. :P

I've probably seen the neutered I-195's once or twice. As for the Interstate 85 VA, I've scoured the area a couple of times, but did not drive down all possible streets looking for it. However as it is impossible to find an I-77 VA shield anymore, it is equally impossible to find an I-85 VA. All of the signage along U.S. 1 southwest of the city to NC were replaced around 2000 or so.

WillWeaverRVA

Next time I'm in Petersburg (which you can probably tell is fairly uncommon), I'll see if I can find an I-85 VA shield. I might drive around this weekend since I'll be off work. Maybe I'll go then.

As for other state-name shields, I might be mistaken but if I recall correctly the last I-295 VA shield was replaced a couple years ago; it was on the southbound C/D lanes at US 1/I-95 in Glen Allen.
Will Weaver

Alex

Quote from: SyntheticDreamer on February 04, 2009, 12:06:11 AM
Next time I'm in Petersburg (which you can probably tell is fairly uncommon), I'll see if I can find an I-85 VA shield. I might drive around this weekend since I'll be off work. Maybe I'll go then.

As for other state-name shields, I might be mistaken but if I recall correctly the last I-295 VA shield was replaced a couple years ago; it was on the southbound C/D lanes at US 1/I-95 in Glen Allen.

Yes there was one on each side of the c/d roadway there: https://www.aaroads.com/mid-atlantic/virginia200/i-295_nb_exit_043_01.jpg Those were removed by the mid-2000s. There was also one near Short Pump at one point, but that also is gone.

Are the Interstate 95 Virginia shields toward Emporia still around, or have they also succumbed?

WillWeaverRVA

I haven't been down there, so I wouldn't know.

I know there are a ton of I-95 Virginia shields up in the Spotsylvania area, along US 1/17. There's even a LGS with a state-name shield on it, but these all appear to be fairly new. In fact, Stafford and Spotsylvania Counties have a great deal of I-95 Virginia shields. There was one in Prince William County, on US 1 at SR 619 outside Quantico Marine Corps Base, but it got knocked over by a motorist in early 2007, and was gone by mid-2008.
Will Weaver

mefailenglish

Quote from: aaroads on February 04, 2009, 12:27:59 AM
Are the Interstate 95 Virginia shields toward Emporia still around, or have they also succumbed?
When I was through there last month...they were still there.

An example of the FL Keys shield:

Alex

I've photographed some of the Interstate 95 Virginia shields hanging around the side roads of the freeway corridor between Richmond and Washington. Fortunately there are several of those around. Interstate 66 VA shields are not to hard to find, as are Interstate 81's and 64's in the mountains. There was an Interstate 64 VA shield on the westbound mainline at one point (don't know if its still there?) after the I-295 interchange.'

Hampton Roads is pretty devoid of state-named shields. I found some white-box shields and a couple for I-64, but nothing for I-464, 564, or 664. As mentioned above, I-295 is devoid of any now. Roanoke OTOH has a few I-581 VA white box shields (I found another in December).

Hellfighter

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: aaroads on February 04, 2009, 11:18:32 AM
There was an Interstate 64 VA shield on the westbound mainline at one point (don't know if its still there?) after the I-295 interchange.'

This is gone now.

I was in Richmond today, and there are still lots of I-195 VA shields in downtown Richmond, including some that I didn't know existed on Canal Street at 12th Street. There are assemblies with vintage I-195, I-64, I-95, and VA 195 signage on Canal Street before 12th, at 12th, at 9th, and at the 8th Street ramp to VA 195. As a bonus, there are old US 60 and VA 147 (non-cutout) shields at 9th and Cary.

There's even an old, possibly original overhead sign at the 12th Street ramp to VA 195.

I don't have any photos of these, though, because parking in downtown Richmond is a nightmare, and traffic is so bad in the Shockoe Slip that photographing them from inside my car is tantamount to suicide. This might explain why Richmond hasn't removed the signs - Richmond-style VA 195 unisigns are EXTREMELY rare (even rarer than Virginia state-named shields), and I only know of two in existence (near Idlewood Avenue in Carytown, and on 8th Street just before Cary Street).
Will Weaver

hbelkins

You are welcome to use anything you wish on millenniumhwy.net! Several from Kentucky, West Virginia, and Virginia as well a few from Ohio and Tennessee.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

corco

Here's a state name I-5 shield

Here's an ancient SR 167/I-405 overhead sign on SR 900 at the northern terminus of SR 167 in Renton. It reflects an earlier time when 167 continued north on Rainier into Seattle, an alignment that hasn't existed since the early 70's

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.