News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Cantilevers from hell

Started by Scott5114, December 21, 2009, 10:30:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thenetwork

Quote from: shoptb1 on February 05, 2010, 05:23:39 PM
Quote from: Chris on February 05, 2010, 04:19:57 PM
Italy sometimes installs these monsters

What the hell is that truss? I'll give it to the Italians on one mark...they love their artistic design.

The one in the foreground is wild, but I'd like to see the one in the background up close as well!

Scott5114

It appears to be the same as the foreground one, but in a cantilever (half-gantry) form.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

D-Dey65

On the westbound Long Island Expressway service road at former Exit 54(Wicks Road), they have a whole bunch of them cluttered right next to each other, that could easily be reduced and removed.

Sorry, no pics.

joseph1723

A little late but here's a new one from Ontario:

It looks like MTO is using more far reaching overheads than before, if this sign was put up a few years back it would have been on a sign bridge. Also they seemed to have learned something from Caltrans   :clap:

The Premier

Alex P. Dent

Ian

I actually noticed that North and South Carolina love those extended cantilevers:

UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

thenetwork

Quote from: The Premier on April 18, 2010, 07:52:38 PM
Here's one on I-76 just past the SR 59 on-ramp in Akron:

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=41.061848,-81.547158&spn=0,0.006899&z=17&layer=c&cbll=41.061864,-81.547048&panoid=pyVp7GtbJ6_LPL9NMST4xQ&cbp=12,264.29,,0,7.24

Talk about a waste of metal (and tax money).  There are at least 2 sign bridges past this one letting people know of the upcoming I-76/I-77 split and which lanes are for which routes.

architect77

Quote from: mightyace on February 02, 2010, 07:31:06 PM
Of the ones I've gotten so far, I think this one takes the cake:

TN SSR 255 WB @ I-65

I think that Tennessee takes the cake for the most part.....

[Edited to remove quoted images from post. No need to have the same images twice in one topic...if you're quoting a post with images, please take them out. -S.]

architect77

Over time, metal fatigue, vibrations, and poor workmanship have resulted in about a dozen of these cantilievered structures to fall over in the past decade (across the country, only 1 in Georgia).

Rather than beefing up the members of the structural posts, Georgia issued a directive that only a "balanced butterfly" post be used to elevate advanced guide signs.

On arguably the nation's widest highways, with 6 travel lanes in each direction depending on the sign's info to navigate though the lanes, do you Georgia's elevated "Overheads" are appropriate? I don't...

North Carolina is using sturdier structural posts:

Quillz

Quote from: joseph1723 on February 02, 2010, 08:05:56 PM
Here's the widest one I've seen in Ontario so far:
ON 427 NB at ON 27 collector transfer
[ snip ]

This one just has a wide BGS on it:
ON QEW Hamilton Bound at Cawthra
[ snip ]

I think MTO only started using a lot of cantilevers structures in the past five or so years. I recall almost all of the signs before then were one sign bridges.  Both of the cantilevers pictured replaced a older sign bridge though. I've seen more and more supports for cantilevers getting installed now.    
What is the significance of the blue guide sign in the background rather than the green sign? Are blue signs reserved for a different class of highway?

deathtopumpkins

Ontario uses blue signs on the local lanes and green signs on the express lanes in local/express setups.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

thenetwork

Quote from: architect77 on September 02, 2010, 11:30:35 AM
Over time, metal fatigue, vibrations, and poor workmanship have resulted in about a dozen of these cantilievered structures to fall over in the past decade (across the country, only 1 in Georgia).

I remember how Michigan seemed to have an epidemic of bad overhead sign structures in the latter half of the 80s -- especially in Southeast MI.   

Ian

The new Rhode Island cantilevers look like they could hold up quite a load!

Older New Hampshire's cantilevers are pretty bulky:

Older Florida's cantilvers look similar to the one above:
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.