News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

East Tennessee ideas?

Started by hbelkins, July 07, 2020, 02:08:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

My wife's been after me to do a little roadgeeking. We just had a 17-year-old dog die, and I really haven't been anywhere other than an occasional trip to the office and necessary errands in town in ages.

Normally, I'd consider something that would allow a Sheetz run, such as checking out the US 35 construction in West Virginia, or a foray down into southwestern Virginia to check to see if the cutouts in places like Norton and Tazewell are still there, or looking in on US 460 construction near Breaks. But both of those states now have mandatory mask-wearing orders. So that's a big "nope" for me.

How about east Tennessee? Anything new or unusual that I may have missed over the years? Anything around the Tri-Cities or Morristown? Old signage isn't really a thing in that area of the Volunteer State, but there may be some new construction or interesting features still to be seen.

This would probably be a day trip; I'm around two hours from the Cumberland Gap Tunnel.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

webny99

Cumberland Gap itself was interesting, and I'd like to go back sometime.

I visited several states with mask requirements while traveling the past few days, and it really wasn't that big of a deal. It doesn't affect you at all while on the road or outdoors, and grabbing a mask for indoor public places has become habit by now. It would have been a bigger shock to visit somewhere and find that it wasn't required at this point.

vdeane

Does Pennsylvania have a mask wearing policy?  Because if so, it's not enforced.  I was at a Sheetz along US 6 last week and half the customers were not wearing masks.  Coming from NY, it was very jarring to see.  Fortunately, it wasn't too crowded, and I was pretty much able to keep social distancing from the other customers.

And this was despite the sign on the door saying masks were required.  Contrast this with the Tim Hortons I stopped at a couple days before, where someone tried to walk in without a mask, and was immediately told they needed one and given one to put on.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

hbelkins

Quote from: webny99 on July 07, 2020, 02:41:35 PM
Cumberland Gap itself was interesting, and I'd like to go back sometime.

I visited several states with mask requirements while traveling the past few days, and it really wasn't that big of a deal. It doesn't affect you at all while on the road or outdoors, and grabbing a mask for indoor public places has become habit by now. It would have been a bigger shock to visit somewhere and find that it wasn't required at this point.

I've been there many times, and unless I'm pressed for time and needing to get where I'm going, or in a hurry to get home, I always drive down into the town to see if the "TENN-US 25E" sign is still there, and how it's holding up.

I've driven all the major routes in the area (both 25s, 27, 23/26, both 11s, both 19s, 321, 421, various state routes linking county seats, the new TN 91 bypass of downtown Mountain City, and have been to Morristown since the ramp and overpass were built at the shopping area along 25E. I'm not sure if there's anything particularly scenic or roadgeeky I may have missed.

I wouldn't mind staying in Kentucky, but I can't think of anything that's new since the last time I was in a particular area beyond US 68 reconstruction between Millersburg and Carlisle. When you've run out of things to explore without having to drive 2-4 hours just to get there, it takes some of the fun out of it.

74/171FAN

Quote from: vdeane on July 07, 2020, 03:02:49 PM
Does Pennsylvania have a mask wearing policy?  Because if so, it's not enforced.  I was at a Sheetz along US 6 last week and half the customers were not wearing masks.  Coming from NY, it was very jarring to see.  Fortunately, it wasn't too crowded, and I was pretty much able to keep social distancing from the other customers.

And this was despite the sign on the door saying masks were required.  Contrast this with the Tim Hortons I stopped at a couple days before, where someone tried to walk in without a mask, and was immediately told they needed one and given one to put on.

Yes, that is the problem.  It is not being enforced.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

hobsini2

HB, I don't know about new in eastern Tennesse but in eastern Kentucky, there is the onging extension construction of KY 3174/Future US 460 southeast of Pikeville.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

ibthebigd

Go to Pal's Sudden Service

SM-G950U

hbelkins

Quote from: ibthebigd on April 03, 2021, 09:39:12 PM
Go to Pal's Sudden Service

SM-G950U

I actually (finally) ate at a Pal's in Norton, Va., a few years go. Pretty tasty.

Ketchup99

I don't really have any trip suggestions, but if you want to see stuff in West Virginia or Virginia, go do it. Oh, and also - if you're planning your trip around where you can avoid putting a piece of fabric on your face for a few minutes - please grow the fuck up. :)

Alps

HB, you brought up that you won't travel places with mask mandates. So then someone called you out on it. Fine. You've both had your say, that's off topic enough. Either move on and get back to discussing ideas of things to see in East Tennessee, or we'll lock the thread. Thanks.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.