News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

GNYT5c - Post Mortem - December 25 - 30 2021

Started by snowc, November 07, 2021, 06:17:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snowc

Well, I did finally manage to visit NY during the holidays, so here is the full breakdown, in pictures!  :colorful:

My family's vehicle, under a heavy load right now.  :-D

The trip's official teddy bear, Chris!  :colorful:

Now we are heading on I95 for the big drive! Notice the construction?

The purple car next to us looks cool right?  :colorful:

The new and improved President Biden Expressway! @Scott5114 is this considered political to include a president's name on a sign?

My hotel's beds are nice, and snoozy too. One of my family members are on the far right.  :colorful:

The vehicle taking a nap, in the snow.

And here I am taking a pic in my Bills gear!  :colorful:

End of photos, for now, heres the details
We left the house at 7:30a - 30 minutes behind schedule
We arrived in VA around 10am
We then passed by Richmond around 11am
Arrived at the first hotel around 2pm
Here is the fun part, and be ready to :colorful: yourselves!
We couldn't even find anything to eat, as everything was CLOSED for Christmas!
So we went to Sheetz and almost couldnt find my order.  :colorful:
Waffle house was busy and Subway was CLOSED!
Went to sleep around 8pm
Woke up at 6am and got breakfast whilst packing up for the second part.
Left at 7am, stopping for some donuts.
Arrived in PA around 7:30am
Arrived in NY around 12:00pm
I had to race to the hotel room to watch the game!  :colorful:
Eventually I got to the hotel at 12:50pm, 10 minutes before kickoff!
I had a late lunch at Applebee's and Popeyes (I had this, and NO, I did NOT have the chicken sandwich)
I went to bed around 8pm
I got up around 6am and headed to Dennys!
The lady was genuinely nice and had a good breakfast.
Arrived at Hahn Welding Supply to look at a plaque for my grandfather
I went to the duck pond and had some fun there!  :pan:
Then we went to the cemetery
And then went to Green Hills to get some donuts.
Stopped at Jreck Subs and got some subs, while a police officer was right behind me.  :colorful:
Headed back to the hotel, relaxed for a bit.
Ordered room service, had a good wrap with buffalo sauce in it.
Watched the Syracuse game and they beat Brown!
I went to bed around 8pm, woke up to some chills (thanks Mountain Dew  :colorful:)
Had to move up our departure date from the 31st to the 30th due to snow
I woke up at 6am and had breakfast at the hotel before we went to Watertown
I took a tour around town, even going to WWNY!  :colorful:
Headed back to the hotel and got some grub at Tully's (sorry Rothman, I didn't get to watch television)
Mostly relaxed all afternoon, then had Distillery for dinner (chicken sandwich is pretty good, right?)
Packed up for the ride home, and went to bed around 8pm
Woke up around 5am
Got some breakfast at the hotel before departing.
Departed hotel around 7am after getting lottery tickets (and won too!)
Arrived in PA around 9am
Had to detour around Harrisburg and got to Maryland via US 15
Went through Catoctin Mountain and arrived at I70 around 12pm
I arrived at the hotel around 12:30pm and got grub at KFC.
Had a very horrible experience at Laddie's, it was gross.  :colorful:
I went to bed around 7pm
Woke up at 6am and got breakfast
Arrived in VA around 7am
I arrived home at 2pm, after delaying traffic on 95.
End details.

US 89

Quote from: snowc on November 07, 2021, 06:17:30 PM
1. Will there be any snow on the following routes: I-81, I-70, I-99, I-80, I-95 (from Exit 73 in NC to Exit 133A in VA), I-295, US 30 (from Breezewood to I-99 Start) or any of the routes in Syracuse?

Ask again in two weeks. With current weather model technology it is simply impossible to forecast that far out with any degree of accuracy.

Rothman

Syracuse had a dusting of snow the other night.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

hotdogPi

Quote from: snowc on November 07, 2021, 07:58:34 PM
Quote from: Rothman on November 07, 2021, 06:43:17 PM
Oh really?!  :wow:

Syracuse is 18 hours ahead of my location for weather patterns, and I didn't get anything at all.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

hbelkins

Hard to tell about snow. I traveled to Breezewood over Thanksgiving weekend a few years ago, and there was snow on the ground (and some on the roads) in Maryland and Pennsylvania.

As for restaurants being open for Thanksgiving, once you get into Sheetz territory, they'll be open. My first experience with Sheetz was in Maryland on Christmas Day back in either 1990 or '91 (can't remember for sure now) and most every other place was closed, but Sheetz was open. They didn't have the menu they do now, but I got a meatball sub.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Rothman

Quote from: 1 on November 07, 2021, 08:05:02 PM
Quote from: snowc on November 07, 2021, 07:58:34 PM
Quote from: Rothman on November 07, 2021, 06:43:17 PM
Oh really?!  :wow:

Syracuse is 18 hours ahead of my location for weather patterns, and I didn't get anything at all.
Two words: Lake effect...
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

froggie

Snow in Upstate New York is a very definite possibility by Thanksgiving.

To "1":  New England east of the Connecticut River does not get lake effect snow.  Even west of the river, it takes just the right combination of temps and wind direction for Vermont to get lake effect off Champlain or a very long snow band from Lake Ontario.  Where you are is also much closer to the Atlantic Ocean, which has a moderating influence on temperatures.

snowc

I have decided to cancel my trip to NY given that snow is going to snarl traffic on Thanksgiving and my father taking back the position for NSCSD.
We are gonna stay home, given that the Delta+ variant is going to be prominent on that week.
Sorry! :no:
@Alps @SSOWorld @Scott5114 can you please lock this thread so no more discussion can be involved? I am not rescheduling this.

I have FINALLY decided to go to NY around the holidays! See Original Post for details.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: snowc on November 09, 2021, 10:52:58 AM
I have decided to cancel my trip to NY given that snow is going to snarl traffic on Thanksgiving and my father taking back the position for NSCSD.
We are gonna stay home, given that the Delta+ variant is going to be prominent on that week.
Sorry! :no:
@Alps @SSOWorld @Scott5114 can you please lock this thread so no more discussion can be involved? I am not rescheduling this.

You're quite the scientist if you can predict that out so precisely several weeks out.

Chris

US 89

We are NOT going to NY this thanksgiving, thanks to @Rothman and @hbelkins for the snow possible in Thanksgiving
given that snow is going to snarl traffic on Thanksgiving

Misinterpretation of the year right here.

Just because it can snow on Thanksgiving doesn't mean it will...

corco

HB and Rothman directly control the weather

vdeane

Quote from: US 89 on November 09, 2021, 11:07:21 AM
We are NOT going to NY this thanksgiving, thanks to @Rothman and @hbelkins for the snow possible in Thanksgiving
given that snow is going to snarl traffic on Thanksgiving

Misinterpretation of the year right here.

Just because it can snow on Thanksgiving doesn't mean it will...
And even then, that doesn't mean that it will snarl traffic.  I can only think of a couple of times when I've had travel difficulties around Thanksgiving; once when my parents and I had to drive through significant snow between two family gatherings, and two years ago when that major sleet storm hit the Sunday after and merged with a nor'easter when it got near Albany (although it was still significant before it merged with the nor'easter, that's when it went from "just drive slowly and cautiously" to "oh my god will I even get home I feel like I'm going to die or get stuck or both").
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

SkyPesos

given that snow is going to snarl traffic
First of all, we don't even know if it's going to snow or not that far out. And it depends on how much snow there are; there's a big difference between an inch of snow and a foot of snow when it comes to driving in them.

US 89

Oddly enough, some of the biggest/most impactful winter storms I can remember in Utah have been centered around Thanksgiving.

I remember many years back we had a blizzard the Tuesday afternoon of Thanksgiving week. Blizzards are very rare in Utah because our winter storms don't usually meet the wind criteria, so the minute meteorologists started using the B word, the public reaction was akin to something you might see when snow is forecasted in the south. There were runs on gas stations the day before, grocery stores started running out of some staples, and I got out of school 30 minutes early so that I could for sure be home and off the roads before it hit - which is not something one typically sees in northern Utah even for major winter storms. Then there was the time it snowed almost a foot at my house on Thanksgiving Day and 8 inches more the next day.

Then again, we've also had Thanksgivings where it was sunny and warm enough to throw a frisbee at the park in jeans and a t-shirt. Weather is weird.

thspfc

You're cancelling a large road trip over the possible threat of a little bit of snow, and a hunch that a fading pandemic is going to resurge?

You do you I guess.

hotdogPi

Quote from: thspfc on November 09, 2021, 02:24:26 PM
You're cancelling a large road trip over the possible threat of a little bit of snow, and a hunch that a fading pandemic is going to resurge?

You do you I guess.

The pandemic stopped fading about a week ago; it's now at about a constant level nationwide, and it's increasing big time in my area. (This isn't to say Syracuse matches where I live, though – other parts of Massachusetts aren't increasing as quickly as where I live, so it appears to be a local issue.)

But yes, the snow issue is ridiculous.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

hbelkins

Quote from: corco on November 09, 2021, 11:39:27 AM

Well, I guess I need to put in my order for no snow in West Virginia, southwestern Virginia, northeastern Tennessee, and possibly northwestern North Carolina for the first week of December, then.

Quote from: 1 on November 09, 2021, 02:29:43 PM

You do you I guess.

The pandemic stopped fading about a week ago; it's now at about a constant level nationwide, and it's increasing big time in my area. (This isn't to say Syracuse matches where I live, though – other parts of Massachusetts aren't increasing as quickly as where I live, so it appears to be a local issue.)

Even if there is an uptick in virus cases, and I don't know where this Delta + thing came from, as the last I heard the next variant is going to have another Greek letter name, a modicum of precautions can prevent it being a threat. I certainly haven't canceled any plans the past 18 months because of the virus. In fact, I went on a multi-state trip with my brother back in August when the resurgence was raging, with no ill effects.

I've called off trips before due to weather forecasts, but those have been decisions made much closer to the time of departure and with looking at the forecasts.

My brother has a hiking trip scheduled to the Grand Canyon in February, so there's a decent chance he'll run into snow somewhere along I-64, I-44, or I-40. He probably won't call the trip off unless he sees a big storm in the forecast a couple of days out from his departure.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Scott5114

I think I'm probably more likely to have winter weather negatively impact my plans to go to Kansas City than you are in New York. Not that Kansas is too bad with the snow (KTA does a stellar job from the few times I've had to deal with it up there, and Kansans know how to drive in it), but because at our latitude we're more likely to get ice and sleet than New York is. And of course once you get south of Braman all hell breaks loose.

Not locking the thread because it's possible other users may wish to discuss the likelihood of winter weather on their Thanksgiving trips.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

snowc

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 09, 2021, 02:42:00 PM
I think I'm probably more likely to have winter weather negatively impact my plans to go to Kansas City than you are in New York. Not that Kansas is too bad with the snow (KTA does a stellar job from the few times I've had to deal with it up there, and Kansans know how to drive in it), but because at our latitude we're more likely to get ice and sleet than New York is. And of course once you get south of Braman all hell breaks loose.

Not locking the thread because it's possible other users may wish to discuss the likelihood of winter weather on their Thanksgiving trips.
Ok.

snowc

As the thread title says, we are taking this thread in a different direction.
Instead of GNYT5c, we are turning it into a Winter weather thread!  :sombrero:

Rothman

I will bring down the wrath of God on Thanksgiving.  The snow will blanket the Northeast as it never has before.  Plow trucks will be useless.  Terror will seize upon the land.  The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, "SAVE US!"

...and I'll look down and whisper, "No."

snowc

Quote from: Rothman on November 09, 2021, 03:35:40 PM
I will bring down the wrath of God on Thanksgiving.  The snow will blanket the Northeast as it never has before.  Plow trucks will be useless.  Terror will seize upon the land.  The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, "SAVE US!"

...and I'll look down and whisper, "No."
Lol Rothman  :colorful: :colorful: :-D :-D

Scott5114

...and I'll look down and whisper, "No." "Only when the lowest-numbered route you haven't been on changes."

FTFY
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Rothman

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 09, 2021, 04:17:11 PM

...and I'll look down and whisper, "No." "Only when the lowest-numbered route you haven't been on changes."

FTFY

As the self-proclaimed "Nit picker of unprecedented pedantry," you could take a few pointers from me.

thspfc

Quote from: hbelkins on November 09, 2021, 02:41:10 PM

Well, I guess I need to put in my order for no snow in West Virginia, southwestern Virginia, northeastern Tennessee, and possibly northwestern North Carolina for the first week of December, then.

Quote from: 1 on November 09, 2021, 02:29:43 PM

You do you I guess.

Even if there is an uptick in virus cases, and I don't know where this Delta + thing came from, as the last I heard the next variant is going to have another Greek letter name, a modicum of precautions can prevent it being a threat. I certainly haven't canceled any plans the past 18 months because of the virus. In fact, I went on a multi-state trip with my brother back in August when the resurgence was raging, with no ill effects.

I've called off trips before due to weather forecasts, but those have been decisions made much closer to the time of departure and with looking at the forecasts.

My brother has a hiking trip scheduled to the Grand Canyon in February, so there's a decent chance he'll run into snow somewhere along I-64, I-44, or I-40. He probably won't call the trip off unless he sees a big storm in the forecast a couple of days out from his departure.
I really haven't thought about Covid at all in the last several months. When Dane County's first mask mandate ended back in early June and I no longer had to wear a mask at work, that pretty much signaled the end of the pandemic to me. The mask mandate was reimplemented in early August, but at that point Covid was so dead to me (yes, I am vaccinated) that wearing a mask just became something that I did because I was supposed to.

I took two significant trips during the pandemic: skiing in Michigan in December 2020 (after which I briefly had Covid) and then skiing in Aspen in February 2021.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.