News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

__________ is/are overrated.

Started by kphoger, April 28, 2022, 10:42:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffandnicole

Quote from: jlam on May 02, 2022, 03:51:06 PM
Quote from: webny99 on May 02, 2022, 03:46:55 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 02, 2022, 03:10:32 PM
Quote from: abefroman329 on May 02, 2022, 03:08:36 PM
Quote from: Rothman on May 02, 2022, 03:07:02 PM
Quote from: abefroman329 on May 02, 2022, 02:58:09 PM
No one is calling anybody names in this thread that I'm aware of.
Abe.
Yes, Roth?

People on here call me Max all the time, it's maddening.

I figured out a while ago that's not your real name, but I'm not sure what else to call you considering I don't know your real name.
Simply call him "Max Rockatansky."  Nicknames are overrated.

Call him Quote Max Rockatansky Unquote?

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on May 02, 2022, 03:55:46 PM
Obviously, my name isn't Webny either (that's not even a real name)

https://www.ancestry.com.au/name-origin?surname=webny&geo_a=r&geo_s=au&geo_t=au&geo_v=2.0.0&o_iid=41020&o_lid=41020&o_sch=Web+Property

13 hits   :D

Well, it might be a last name, but it's not a first name.

Interestingly, I actually do have known ancestors with one of the "similar surnames". There's obviously no connection to my username, but an amusing coincidence nonetheless. :biggrin:

Takumi

Abe.
Yes, Roth?

I figured out a while ago that's not your real name, but I'm not sure what else to call you considering I don't know your real name.

Obviously, my name isn't Webny either (that's not even a real name) but I'm fine with people calling me that because I haven't disclosed my name on the forum other than occasionally to sign PM's.

Next thing you know, we'll find out that Abe's name isn't actually Abe, or mine isn't actually Takumi. (I haven't even used the handle Takumi anywhere other than this forum in well over a decade. Most places, amusingly, I use interstate366.)
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

abefroman329

Quote from: Takumi on May 02, 2022, 05:10:49 PMNext thing you know, we'll find out that Abe's name isn't actually Abe, or mine isn't actually Takumi. (I haven't even used the handle Takumi anywhere other than this forum in well over a decade. Most places, amusingly, I use interstate366.)
Anyone could find my real name with a few minutes of Googling, but I just don't feel like using it here.  Or anywhere I'm not required to use it.

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Takumi on May 02, 2022, 05:10:49 PM
Abe.
Yes, Roth?

Obviously, my name isn't Webny either (that's not even a real name) but I'm fine with people calling me that because I haven't disclosed my name on the forum other than occasionally to sign PM's.

Next thing you know, we'll find out that Abe's name isn't actually Abe, or mine isn't actually Takumi. (I haven't even used the handle Takumi anywhere other than this forum in well over a decade. Most places, amusingly, I use interstate366.)

You aren't signed at 85 MPH by chance?

Quote from: abefroman329 on May 02, 2022, 05:17:25 PM
Quote from: Takumi on May 02, 2022, 05:10:49 PMNext thing you know, we'll find out that Abe's name isn't actually Abe, or mine isn't actually Takumi. (I haven't even used the handle Takumi anywhere other than this forum in well over a decade. Most places, amusingly, I use interstate366.)
Anyone could find my real name with a few minutes of Googling, but I just don't feel like using it here.  Or anywhere I'm not required to use it.

Here I was this whole time thinking you were the Sausage King of Chicago.

CtrlAltDel

Speaking of which, I also saw this today.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

CoreySamson

Weather broadcasting on TV or by any weather website with articles for anything other than your daily forecast (looking at you, Weather Channel) are absurdly overrated.

Instead watch independent Youtuber livestreams, follow meteorologists on social media, and learn a basic understanding of weather radar. You'll be much more informed and better off.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

Scott5114

It kind of depends on where you are. The Oklahoma City area TV stations all have better Doppler than the NWS does and some fancy software analysis tools that the layperson doesn't have.

As of right now (5:20 PM CDT May 2) there's a severe weather event going on in Oklahoma, so you may want to check out the stream on https://news9.com to see what weather coverage here is like.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kenarmy

Just a reminder that US 6, 49, 50, and 98 are superior to your fave routes :)

EXTEND 206 SO IT CAN MEET ITS PARENT.

Takumi

Yeah, mine's fairly easy to find as well, and I think has been mentioned on the forum once or twice in years past. Even on what little social media I have, I use my middle name instead of my last name.

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 02, 2022, 05:19:42 PM
Abe.
Yes, Roth?

Contrary to popular belief, it's 65.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

kkt

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 02, 2022, 05:19:42 PM
Abe.
Yes, Roth?

Here I was this whole time thinking you were the Sausage King of Chicago.

"Devastatingly handsome."

gonealookin

Quote from: kphoger on May 02, 2022, 03:25:11 PM
Just in case anyone is late to the game...  His name isn't Max Rockatansky.

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 18, 2022, 01:22:40 PM
I kind of find of amusing that there has been a lot of people over the years who thought my name is Max Rockatansky. 

The funny part from my side of it:  The poster from Fresno made some comment about his wedding and I referred to "Mr. and Mrs. Rockatansky" in my reply.  And somebody here (not him) thought I was serious in using that surname and jumped all over me for it.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: gonealookin on May 02, 2022, 09:27:44 PM
Quote from: kphoger on May 02, 2022, 03:25:11 PM
Just in case anyone is late to the game...  His name isn't Max Rockatansky.

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 18, 2022, 01:22:40 PM
I kind of find of amusing that there has been a lot of people over the years who thought my name is Max Rockatansky. 

The funny part from my side of it:  The poster from Fresno made some comment about his wedding and I referred to "Mr. and Mrs. Rockatansky" in my reply.  And somebody here (not him) thought I was serious in using that surname and jumped all over me for it.

There is a bit of irony that my real life wife has same first name (at the time legally Jessie) as Max's wife in the original Mad Max.  I don't think we would be naming a hypothetical child "Sprog"  though.  I should tell her to watch out for the Toecutter gang so I don't have to chase them down in my Challenger (which has a MFP logo on it like the 1973 Falcon XB GT) and almost immediately get shot.  I did want to name the puppy I adopted last year "Dog"  but I got vetoed. 

kphoger

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 02, 2022, 09:37:13 PM
I don't think we would be naming a hypothetical child "Sprog"  though.

It could be, however, a perfectly acceptable nickname for one's child.

https://english.stackexchange.com/questions/143624/whence-does-sprog-come
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

abefroman329

Quote from: kkt on May 02, 2022, 09:11:06 PM"Devastatingly handsome."
Yes, that's the one major difference between Mr. Froman and me.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kphoger on May 03, 2022, 09:31:12 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 02, 2022, 09:37:13 PM
I don't think we would be naming a hypothetical child "Sprog"  though.

It could be, however, a perfectly acceptable nickname for one's child.

https://english.stackexchange.com/questions/143624/whence-does-sprog-come

Very in line with the Mad Max movies to name a character something like that.  There a bunch of characters that are literally named as what they are in Mad Max and George Miller movies.  Feral Kid in the Road Warrior also comes to mind.

abefroman329

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

abefroman329

Quote from: kphoger on May 03, 2022, 01:23:58 PM
Doritos
They're not my first choice at Subway (that would be Sun Chips), but Doritos Locos Tacos are surprisingly tasty.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: abefroman329 on May 03, 2022, 02:19:53 PM
Quote from: kphoger on May 03, 2022, 01:23:58 PM
Doritos
They're not my first choice at Subway (that would be Sun Chips), but Doritos Locos Tacos are surprisingly tasty.

Doritos would be so much more tolerable without the flavorless dust.

kphoger

Here's one that might be unpopular.  I don't know.

Having separate men's and women's restrooms is overrated.

For a number of years now (since before most Americans had probably even heard the term transgender), I've been of the opinion that most all public restrooms should just be unisex.  I'm actually rather surprised that the current 'separate but equal' status quo has persisted, basically unchallenged, for so long.

I have a distinct memory (from the ninth grade or so) of using a large public unisex restroom facility in or near Venice (Italy), where each toilet had its own cubicle but the sinks were all out in the common open.  I still remember it, because it struck me at the time how much that approach just made sense.

And I've also been in two situations here in the States where a woman entered the men's room while I was using it, and neither one bothered me.  The first was when my wife and I were having dinner at a Kansas City restaurant and, to use the restroom, one had to go out back, down the stairs, and into a hallway that was shared with other businesses.  While I was doing my business at the urinal there, a lady came in looking for something or someone (I don't remember exactly);  she apologized for the intrusion, I told her it didn't bother me at all, she said she wondered why men's and women's were separated in the first place anyway, and I agreed.  The second time was when I was sitting in a stall at a northern Iowa rest area along I-35.  At one point, I looked down under the cubicle wall and saw high-heeled shoes in the stall next to mine;  it turned out that a gentleman had had double hip replacement and was on his way home, but he had to do a #2 along the way, so his son and daughter-in-law both had to help him out in the process.  I can't remember if my sons were still in the bathroom or not by the time the family went in, but I do know they asked my wife–who was waiting outside–if it would be OK if they all went in together, and she said of course.

https://theconversation.com/how-did-public-bathrooms-get-to-be-separated-by-sex-in-the-first-place-59575
Male pronouns, please.

7/8

What's even more ridiculous is when there are two single-occupant washrooms and they're still separated by gender. What difference does it make if only one person is in the washroom at a time? :pan:

kphoger

Quote from: 7/8 on May 03, 2022, 02:34:12 PM
What's even more ridiculous is when there are two single-occupant washrooms and they're still separated by gender. What difference does it make if only one person is in the washroom at a time? :pan:

Precisely.  Imagine my surprise when I first researched why that is, only to find out that it's a legal requirement.
Male pronouns, please.

jakeroot

Quote from: 7/8 on May 03, 2022, 02:34:12 PM

I was once waiting to use the restroom at a very nice gas station, but the man in the men's room was taking forever. So I just used the woman's instead. Two separate rooms, who really cares right? Well, turns out the man behind the counter cared a lot, he came running over and slamming on the door and telling me to get out. Only thing he said was, over and over again, "women's room!!" I just ignored him, he yelled at me again after I got out, still no real explanation besides repeating what the sign said. I just said "who gives a fuck?" I think I threw him the tosser gesture or something rather childish, and walked out.

Still to this day, I do not understand the concern, as I see way more unisex standalone rooms these days than the other way around. But I guess some people are still fixated on the "men are messy" way of thinking that is likely the reason we have gendered standalone rooms.

Quote from: kphoger on May 03, 2022, 02:26:34 PM
I have a distinct memory (from the ninth grade or so) of using a large public unisex restroom facility in or near Venice (Italy), where each toilet had its own cubicle but the sinks were all out in the common open.  I still remember it, because it struck me at the time how much that approach just made sense.

I recall the Keflavik Airport in Iceland having a large restroom area with individual stalls (basically rooms, no gaps in the doors!) and a large hand washing area. So much better.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.