News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

__________ is/are underrated.

Started by Max Rockatansky, May 03, 2022, 03:43:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

CA 1 north of San Francisco (almost as scenic if not as scenic as Big Sur).

Videodrome (one of the best body horror movies ever, but nobody ever talks about it)

Orange Crush (the High Fructose Corn Syrup version of what Fanta should be)

The Mustang II (it sold well for a reason)

Peeing on the side of the road (total and annoyance saver over finding a public restroom in rural areas).

hbelkins

Chicago (the classic lineup with Terry Kath)

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

JayhawkCO

1995hoo

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

jeffandnicole

kphoger

Quote from: JayhawkCO on May 03, 2022, 03:53:16 PM
Anchovies/Sardines

Especially anchovies.  Sometimes after church, I'll whip up a simple lunch of frozen tortellini and pesto from a jar.  Before I mix everything together, though, I sauté some diced onion in olive oil, then I put in some anchovy paste or diced anchovies right at the end.  The smell when it first hits the pan can be a bit much for the rest of the family (three out of the four don't like anchovies), but they're head over heels for the final result.

I'm to the point now where, if it's a sauce that's going on pasta, then it's getting anchovies.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: kphoger on May 03, 2022, 04:05:48 PM
Quote from: JayhawkCO on May 03, 2022, 03:53:16 PM
Anchovies/Sardines

Especially anchovies.  Sometimes after church, I'll whip up a simple lunch of frozen tortellini and pesto from a jar.  Before I mix everything together, though, I sauté some diced onion in olive oil, then I put in some anchovy paste or diced anchovies right at the end.  The smell when it first hits the pan can be a bit much for the rest of the family (three out of the four don't like anchovies), but they're head over heels for the final result.

I'm to the point now where, if it's a sauce that's going on pasta, then it's getting anchovies.

Have you had white anchovies? Mind blowing.

kphoger

Quote from: JayhawkCO on May 03, 2022, 04:06:58 PM
Have you had white anchovies? Mind blowing.

Yes, because you recommended them.  I was underwhelmed.

Quote from: kphoger on April 09, 2021, 01:31:46 PM
OK, I picked up some white anchovies on Wednesday.  But now I'm worried they'll just taste like sardines–which I already had and rarely use.  Did I make a mistake here...

Quote from: kphoger on April 27, 2021, 11:39:58 AM
Forgot to follow up...  I had the white anchovies a while ago, and they were basically just a better-tasting sardine.  I imagine the refrigerated kind are better–being preserved in vinegar rather than just oil–but I don't know where to find those around here.  This past weekend, I bought a tin of white anchovies preserved in salt water to see if those are any better.

The way I ate them was to mash them up with spreadable cheese, capers, herbes de Provence, olive oil, lemon juice, smoked paprika, and diced Kalamata olives–then spread that on crackers.
Male pronouns, please.

JayhawkCO

Yeah, that brand isn't great. They're too much like sardines texturally. You need the pretty filets in oil like this.

I have the brand that you have but I only use them in Caesar salads. The others I can just eat by themselves.

abefroman329

Spray cheese on a Ritz cracker.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: abefroman329 on May 03, 2022, 04:20:27 PM
Spray cheese on a Ritz cracker.

That shit is like freebase cocaine once you start eating.

triplemultiplex

Recent seasons of The Simpsons.
There are some real gems sprinkled throughout compared to the lull the show seemed to experience a decade ago.  Plenty of duds, too, don't get me wrong, but enough good ones to continue watching.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

kphoger

Quote from: JayhawkCO on May 03, 2022, 04:19:46 PM
You need the pretty filets in oil like this.

As I said, I don't know a local source to buy those from.
Male pronouns, please.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: kphoger on May 03, 2022, 04:29:28 PM
Quote from: JayhawkCO on May 03, 2022, 04:19:46 PM
You need the pretty filets in oil like this.

As I said, I don't know a local source to buy those from.

If you ever get out here for a vacation anytime soon, I'll buy you some. There are a couple of specialty grocers that have them here.

These look decent (if not a bit pricey) from Amazon.

Also, The Seafood Shop in Wichita could likely order some in for you from glancing at their website. They're often distributed by the same companies that bring in fresh fish (Seattle Fish and the like).

Rothman

Quote from: triplemultiplex on May 03, 2022, 04:29:21 PM
Recent seasons of The Simpsons.
There are some real gems sprinkled throughout compared to the lull the show seemed to experience a decade ago.  Plenty of duds, too, don't get me wrong, but enough good ones to continue watching.
No.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Takumi

Physical media.

Sports car racing, though those who tend to get into it tend to get really obsessed with it.

Juan Pablo Montoya.

Dream pop.

The post-reformation era (2007-present) of the Smashing Pumpkins.

Chicken thighs.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Takumi on May 03, 2022, 04:53:02 PM
Physical media.

Sports car racing, though those who tend to get into it tend to get really obsessed with it.

Juan Pablo Montoya.

Dream pop.

He's never going to live this down:

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

JayhawkCO

Takumi

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 03, 2022, 04:55:46 PM
Physical media.

Juan Pablo Montoya.

Dream pop.

And yet he's so much more than that. Two-time Indy 500 winner, CART title, IMSA title, F3000 (today's F2) title, wins in F1/Indy/NASCAR/IMSA/WEC, and you could make a case that he's won the Triple Crown of Motorsport. (He says he has, but most say he hasn't, because his win at Le Mans was a class win and not overall.)
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Takumi on May 03, 2022, 05:13:25 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 03, 2022, 04:55:46 PM
Physical media.

Juan Pablo Montoya.

Dream pop.

And yet he's so much more than that. Two-time Indy 500 winner, CART title, IMSA title, F3000 (today's F2) title, wins in F1/Indy/NASCAR/IMSA/WEC, and you could make a case that he's won the Triple Crown of Motorsport. (He says he has, but most say he hasn't, because his win at Le Mans was a class win and not overall.)

I'm not disagreeing that his overall resume is very impressive.  I would argue finishing in the top ten in the points in a NASCAR season was more impressive then his two Road Course wins though.

Brandon

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

kphoger

Quote from: JayhawkCO on May 03, 2022, 05:08:04 PM

Quote from: kphoger on May 03, 2022, 04:59:48 PM

Chicken thighs.

true dat

In full agreement again. White meat is for suckers.

Don't get me wrong:  I like chicken breast too.  I just think the thighs are underrated.
Male pronouns, please.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kphoger on May 03, 2022, 06:16:32 PM
Quote from: JayhawkCO on May 03, 2022, 05:08:04 PM

Quote from: kphoger on May 03, 2022, 04:59:48 PM

Chicken thighs.

true dat

In full agreement again. White meat is for suckers.

Don't get me wrong:  I like chicken breast too.  I just think the thighs are underrated.

Dark meat McNuggets were fantastic before the white meat brigade killed them with their "health consciousness."

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.