News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

__________ is/are underrated.

Started by Max Rockatansky, May 03, 2022, 03:43:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MultiMillionMiler

I'm lactose intolerant so I can't really eat many sugar foods. I like salty foods more. Even cheese gets to me sometimes. Cake is my least favorite sugary food tho.

kphoger

Quote from: kphoger on December 30, 2022, 01:29:24 PM
Fruitcake.

I'm seriously beginning to think that the majority of people who bash fruitcake have never actually eaten it.  Fruitcake–especially anything other than the ubiquitous Claxton brick–is awesome.

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on December 30, 2022, 02:03:39 PM
I'm lactose intolerant so I can't really eat many sugar foods. I like salty foods more. Even cheese gets to me sometimes. Cake is my least favorite sugary food tho.

Cake is one of my less-favorite desserts as well, but I'll take fruitcake over certain other kinds of cake.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kphoger

This is what I assume is happening:

Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

GaryV

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

Scott5114

Quote from: kphoger on December 30, 2022, 02:53:08 PM
This is what I assume is happening:

I think it's a function of fruitcake being a holiday food. That means that a lot of people's only exposure to fruitcake is one made by someone who has no business baking a cake of any sort. You know the situation...Aunt Martha has baked the fruitcake for the past 32 Christmases and nobody has the heart to tell her she sucks at it, so she never gets better at it...or worse, someone did and she keeps baking the damn things the same way anyway because the fruitcake is Her Contribution To Christmas.

(We have the same situation with the turkey in my family. I have an aunt who Does The Turkey every year for Thanksgiving. I used to think that I didn't like turkey all that much because it was basically just dried-out chicken. One year my mom couldn't get ham for Christmas and just did turkey again, and it turns out her turkey is actually way better than my aunt's. So yeah, I like turkey, it's just that my aunt can't make it worth a damn.)

And of course, once that happens and people start having their own Christmases without Aunt Martha there, everyone just kind of tacitly agrees that's one holiday tradition they don't really need to continue. So then the next generation doesn't have any exposure to fruitcake other than tales about how bad it is.

Also, given the color scheme and rounded rectangular border, your diagram parses as a recreational sign to me. Boy, that would be a weird sign to find in a national park.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

J N Winkler

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 30, 2022, 06:06:45 PMWe have the same situation with the turkey in my family. I have an aunt who Does The Turkey every year for Thanksgiving. I used to think that I didn't like turkey all that much because it was basically just dried-out chicken. One year my mom couldn't get ham for Christmas and just did turkey again, and it turns out her turkey is actually way better than my aunt's. So yeah, I like turkey, it's just that my aunt can't make it worth a damn.

For most families, a whole turkey is a once- or twice-a-year dish, which adds to the problem by making it harder to iron out deficiencies through practice.

I've had good luck rescuing dried-out turkey by slathering it with drippings, but as a general rule, it's better to have the bird moist out of the oven.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

kkt

Fruitcake.

I'm seriously beginning to think that the majority of people who bash fruitcake have never actually eaten it.  Fruitcake–especially anything other than the ubiquitous Claxton brick–is awesome.

I've had some fruitcake.  There is some fruitcake that is not as awful as others.
None of it is worth eating on a good taste vs. calories and fat tradeoff.

Scott5114

Quote from: J N Winkler on December 30, 2022, 06:51:01 PM
For most families, a whole turkey is a once- or twice-a-year dish, which adds to the problem by making it harder to iron out deficiencies through practice.

I've had good luck rescuing dried-out turkey by slathering it with drippings, but as a general rule, it's better to have the bird moist out of the oven.

I asked my mom what she did differently than my aunt, and she said she just leaves it in for longer at a lower temperature. Having experimented myself, I can confirm that it leads to juicier poultry.

So I'm guessing the stress and having to have the turkey ready on a specific schedule is also a reason for dry turkey. (In my family, Thanksgiving is the big holiday everyone's in town for–Christmas is a more leisurely "just wander over sometime between X and Y time" type affair. Case in point, the first proposed time for this year's Christmas get together fell through, and we haven't gotten around to rescheduling. My guess is it'll be some Thursday in January, or perhaps be delayed to coincide with someone's February birthday.)
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 30, 2022, 06:06:45 PM
Also, given the color scheme and rounded rectangular border, your diagram parses as a recreational sign to me. Boy, that would be a weird sign to find in a national park.

Something like this, maybe:

:-D
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

hbelkins

Fruitcake.

Both my grandmothers made awesome fruitcakes. After they got them baked, they'd put them in a sealed container with a glass of bourbon so the cake would soak up some of the flavor. Now, I admit I can't drink bourbon anymore after an unfortunate incident back in the late 1980s that involved copious amounts of vomiting, but something about the bourbon-tinged fruitcakes my grandmothers made was pretty tasty.

Huh? I'd definitely expect cheese to bother someone who is lactose-intolerant, since cheese is basically milk in solid form, but cake or sugary foods?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

roadman65

I think the transportation system in Orlando is underrated. With the thousands of tourists visiting, they should implement a light rail from Orlando Airport to International Drive where the major hotels are. 

Apparently Rental Car Companies, John Morgan of his egotistical law firm Morgan and Morgan, and Disney pressured lawmakers and citizens not to pursue.  For rental cars they lose millions. For Morgan he ran ads saying crime would come to the tourist areas if a link to the city were possible as well as Lynx, the country’s  worst transit company was chosen to manage it.  Disney of course wants all Orlando tourists to stay at their many resorts and don’t want a rail line creating I Drive more of a competitor to them than they already are.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

MultiMillionMiler

Florida's straight roads are underrated.

formulanone

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on December 31, 2022, 11:19:15 AM

I could do without needing to reclinch SR 471, and about two dozen others.

Max Rockatansky

^^^

Probably the most interesting road I ever found in the Green Swamp was Clay Sink Road.  About the only place in the entire state that has somewhat interesting hilly and curvy roads is on the Brooksville Ridge.

Florida is in a competition with Illinois over who has the most flat and boring roads (spoken as former Florida and Illinois resident).

formulanone

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 31, 2022, 11:56:52 AM

Florida is in a competition with Illinois over who has the most flat and boring roads (spoken as former Florida and Illinois resident).

Florida is flatter but I feel the scenery is more varied than Illinois.

To be fair, there's a lot of states which have plenty of one-and-thankfully-done clinches.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: formulanone on December 31, 2022, 11:58:36 AM

Florida is flatter but I feel the scenery is more varied than Illinois.

Florida does have the better lot of scenic roads than Illinois does.  Like you said, there is some decent variances to the scenery in Florida, just not much in the way of anything with hills.

roadman65

I like Florida roads cause you make great time on them. Unlike Vermont where to go one mile on VT 30 takes forever as the curves prevent you from seeing just how far a mile can be.

Don't knock the roads in Florida as they're highways and not numbers assigned to back roads like in Vermont.  The latter you have freeways and two lane winding roads where in Florida you have freeways and off freeway highways.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

jeffandnicole

Florida keeps you looking at the scenery because of the threat of Alligators.

Illinois keeps you looking at the scenery because you're just hoping to see a sign showing how many miles until the next state.

Max Rockatansky

^^^

The alligators are amusingly not very threatening.  My wife was terrified of them when I took her to Everglades National Park last year.  They usually just sit around ignoring everyone and run away if disturbed (not a recommendation to attempt).

Quote from: roadman65 on December 31, 2022, 12:10:27 PM
I like Florida roads cause you make great time on them. Unlike Vermont where to go one mile on VT 30 takes forever as the curves prevent you from seeing just how far a mile can be.

Don't knock the roads in Florida as they're highways and not numbers assigned to back roads like in Vermont.  The latter you have freeways and two lane winding roads where in Florida you have freeways and off freeway highways.

I don't know, I would be lying if I did say a lack of mountainous geography wasn't a major motivation to for me to get back to the west coast from Florida.  I also happen to be the kind of guy who would rather go see how fast a mountain grade could be driven than beeline through Alligator Alley.  In Florida even the dirt roads are generally as straight as can be (example: Everglades Loop Road).

Hunty2022

OneRepublic is heavily underrated.
100th Post: 11/10/22
250th Post: 12/3/22
500th Post: 3/12/23
1000th Post: 11/12/23

Hunty Roads (under construction):
https://huntyroadsva.blogspot.com

MultiMillionMiler

^^^

Probably the most interesting road I ever found in the Green Swamp was Clay Sink Road.  About the only place in the entire state that has somewhat interesting hilly and curvy roads is on the Brooksville Ridge.

Yeah but they have long straight sections and many of them are 3+ lanes wide in each directions for long stretches. Florida Turnpike is good without even being part of the interstate highway system!

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on December 31, 2022, 12:36:13 PM
^^^

Yeah but they have long straight sections and many of them are 3+ lanes wide in each directions for long stretches. Florida Turnpike is good without even being part of the interstate highway system!

Florida's Turnpike is about as boring as it gets.  When I went TD to Key West from Orlando I would go out of my way to avoid the bulk the Turnpike via:

-  County Road 15
-  US 441-US 192
-  US 192
-  FL 70
-  FL 710
-  SE 86th Blvd
-  US 98-US 441
-  FL 715
-  FL 80
-  US 27

The above route would get me down to the Turnpike Extension and would avoid almost all the tolls.  There was plenty of places to stop along the road and they cost less than the Turnpike Plazas.  Give me some back country peace and quiet any day over the Turnpike, even if it cost me an hour drive time.  Now that FL 997 is widened if I still lived in Orlando I could even cutoff the Turnpike Extension and have it be viable.

formulanone

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 31, 2022, 12:47:26 PM
Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on December 31, 2022, 12:36:13 PM
^^^

Florida's Turnpike is about as boring as it gets.  When I went TD to Key West from Orlando I would go out of my way to avoid the bulk the Turnpike via:

-  County Road 15
-  US 441-US 192
-  US 192
-  FL 70
-  FL 710
-  SE 86th Blvd
-  US 98-US 441
-  FL 715
-  FL 80
-  US 27

The above route would get me down to the Turnpike Extension and would avoid almost all the tolls.  There was plenty of places to stop along the road and they cost less than the Turnpike Plazas.  Give me some back country peace and quiet any day over the Turnpike, even if it cost me an hour drive time.  Now that FL 997 is widened if I still lived in Orlando I could even cutoff the Turnpike Extension and have it be viable.

I'd usually wind up going through Okeechobee (the city) because we'd need gas/food/bathroom breaks.

skluth

Quote from: hbelkins on December 30, 2022, 10:26:53 PM

Huh? I'd definitely expect cheese to bother someone who is lactose-intolerant, since cheese is basically milk in solid form, but cake or sugary foods?
There's often butter in cake and many frostings. I also like to use milk instead of any water if I use a commercial cake mix.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.