Phrases that are not needed

Started by roadman65, May 10, 2022, 02:40:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

Back in CB Radios days when they were ever so popular, there was Emergency Chanel 9 which was monitored by law enforcement 24/7.  What irked me about it was the way dispatchers responded after a distress call.

Instead of asking the caller, how May I be of assistance?  Or saying with a smile on their face ( yes you can hear a smile on radio) " This is Smithtown Police, how may we help."  You would get straight forward response " Please describe the nature of your problem"

Although not rude in tone, it's still not sounding helpful but like you were wasting his free time at the station and like his thinking mode was "just say it and and end it. I don't want to be bothered"

What straight forward phrase annoy you in common talk, exclude this forum please..

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Max Rockatansky

kphoger

"...and I'll be taking care of you this evening."
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Takumi

"Circle back"

When a call is "parked"  instead of "on hold" .
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

kphoger

Did you find everything you were looking for OK?

Well, I didn't see any drinking straws other than the store brand.  I don't know if the PfangleLife brand is just out of stock, or if you stopped carrying them, or what.

Hmm, yeah, I'm not sure.

Huh?  Don't you care that I didn't find everything I was looking for?  Don't even bother asking me if you're not prepared do something about a No answer.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kphoger on May 10, 2022, 03:12:29 PM
Did you find everything you were looking for OK?

Well, I didn't see any drinking straws other than the store brand.  I don't know if the PfangleLife brand is just out of stock, or if you stopped carrying them, or what.

Hmm, yeah, I'm not sure.

Huh?  Don't you care that I didn't find everything I was looking for?  Don't even bother asking me if you're not prepared do something about a No answer.

Fucking Pfangle is always out of the generic PfangleLife brand generic products.  I still can't find PfangleLife splintered toilet paper. 

kphoger

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 10, 2022, 03:17:37 PM
Fucking Pfangle

You misspelled the store name.  It's spelled Pfucking Pfangle+.
Male pronouns, please.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kphoger on May 10, 2022, 03:33:41 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 10, 2022, 03:17:37 PM
Fucking Pfangle

You misspelled the store name.  It's spelled Pfucking Pfangle+.

Yes, I think that I was autocorrected.  Pfuckint Pfangle is of course the well known neighborhood market variant of the big box Pfangle stores.

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

JayhawkCO

formulanone

Quote from: kphoger on May 10, 2022, 03:12:29 PM
Don't even bother asking me if you're not prepared do something about a No answer.

For $8-10/hour, they're trying extra hard to not make fun of the average shopper's haircut, questionable purchase, or poor wardrobe choices in that moment.

After seeing the average person at Wal-Mart, and knowing they're even more average than that, I know I'd lose my job in the first four hours for that kind of pay.

(I knew my grocery store pretty well after about 6 months, and I was 16 years old.)

jeffandnicole

kphoger

Quote from: formulanone on May 10, 2022, 04:02:05 PM
After seeing the average person at Wal-Mart, and knowing they're even more average than that, I know I'd lose my job in the first four hours for that kind of pay.

My first job was in retail.  Specifically, I pushed shopping carts full-time at a Target in the soccer mom western suburbs of Chicago (Roosevelt Road & County Farm Road).  One day, I had been out pushing carts in the rain for about six hours.  A lady came in, started to grab a cart, quickly removed her hand, and exclaimed in shocked surprise:  Ooh, they're all wet!.  I said wryly, It's raining outside.

I came pretty close to losing my job over that remark–perhaps because my manager didn't believe her, that I might be so rude.  (He didn't know me well enough, I guess.)
Male pronouns, please.

formulanone

Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 10, 2022, 04:11:19 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 10, 2022, 03:01:14 PM
"It is what it is. 

This times infinity.

Ever tried to explain things to people who are in that wide spectrum of "don't want to hear an answer", "don't care about the answer", "don't want an excuse", and are "going to bitch about it anyway"?

That's what that line is good for.

abefroman329

Quote from: kphoger on May 10, 2022, 04:14:39 PM

My first job was in retail.  Specifically, I pushed shopping carts full-time at a Target in the soccer mom western suburbs of Chicago (Roosevelt Road & County Farm Road).  One day, I had been out pushing carts in the rain for about six hours.  A lady came in, started to grab a cart, quickly removed her hand, and exclaimed in shocked surprise:  Ooh, they're all wet!.  I said wryly, It's raining outside.

I came pretty close to losing my job over that remark–perhaps because my manager didn't believe her, that I might be so rude.  (He didn't know me well enough, I guess.)
I was a cashier at a Target in a soccer mom-y suburb of Atlanta.  To this day, I refuse to hand a half-eaten candy bar to a cashier and say "ring this up."

abefroman329

Quote from: roadman65 on May 10, 2022, 02:40:54 PMBack in CB Radios days when they were ever so popular, there was Emergency Chanel 9 which was monitored by law enforcement 24/7.  What irked me about it was the way dispatchers responded after a distress call.

Instead of asking the caller, how May I be of assistance?  Or saying with a smile on their face ( yes you can hear a smile on radio) " This is Smithtown Police, how may we help."  You would get straight forward response " Please describe the nature of your problem"

Although not rude in tone, it's still not sounding helpful but like you were wasting his free time at the station and like his thinking mode was "just say it and and end it. I don't want to be bothered"

What straight forward phrase annoy you in common talk, exclude this forum please..
In fairness, they probably did this because, in an emergency, seconds count, and there's no time to waste on pleasantries.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kphoger on May 10, 2022, 04:14:39 PM

I pushed carts for about three months in a Phoenix summer at Target before I transferred to their security department.  At the time I was training for police physical agility exams and wanted it get my weight down 30 pounds so I wouldn't have to bench press 215 pounds twelve times (Phoenix PD required you bench your body weight 12 times in a set and I could only do 5-7 reps at 215 pounds).  I found the best way to avoid having to be friendly to customers was to stay in constant motion.  I found this could be accomplished by way of pushing 8 carts from each parking lot row rather than using the cart pusher machine.  I was getting a solid 15-20 miles of waking in every day on top of the running I was already doing in the morning.  I overshot my weight loss goal and dropped 42 pounds during that three months.  Nobody really ever bothered me so long as I appeared to be busy, probably the easiest job on the mind I've ever had. 

jeffandnicole

Quote from: abefroman329 on May 10, 2022, 04:21:23 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on May 10, 2022, 02:40:54 PMBack in CB Radios days when they were ever so popular, there was Emergency Chanel 9 which was monitored by law enforcement 24/7.  What irked me about it was the way dispatchers responded after a distress call.

In fairness, they probably did this because, in an emergency, seconds count, and there's no time to waste on pleasantries.

The ones I've talked with usually answer "911 what's your emergency?".

I bet if they said "This is Smithtown Police, how may we help", The person would often say "I have an emergency...".

It just helps get to the point much quicker.

Scott5114

Quote from: abefroman329 on May 10, 2022, 04:21:23 PM

I mean, they could shorten it even further: "Say your problem!"
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

JayhawkCO

Saying "Hello" instead of getting to the point when pinging someone on Teams.

7/8

Quote from: JayhawkCO on May 10, 2022, 05:01:25 PM

Yes to this one! I have a friend that'll often just write "Yo" in a message and wait for me to respond before elaborating. I find it pretty annoying.

wriddle082

Quote from: Takumi on May 10, 2022, 03:10:02 PM
When a call is "parked"  instead of "on hold" .

I always thought parking a call was a different process than just placing on hold.  More like putting it in a transfer portal where it can be picked up at any station, and not just the intended recipient's station.  I know, that sounds a lot like hold, but I'm pretty sure it's different.

kphoger

Quote from: 7/8 on May 10, 2022, 05:09:19 PM

Yes to this one! I have a friend that'll often just write "Yo" in a message and wait for me to respond before elaborating. I find it pretty annoying.

I would so totally not respond to that.
Male pronouns, please.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kphoger on May 10, 2022, 06:43:10 PM
Quote from: 7/8 on May 10, 2022, 05:09:19 PM

I would so totally not respond to that.

For a long time I would answer the phone with "go"  or "go ahead."   Most people just aren't prepared to just drop right into what they need to say, they want to dance around it for awhile.  I prefer just getting to the point, much to the annoyance of people I worked with and my wife (the latter is why I toned it down).

formulanone

Quote from: Takumi on May 10, 2022, 03:10:02 PM
"Circle back"

"I'm unprepared to answer this important/vague question at this moment because I only apportioned 28.75 minutes for this Zoom call."

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.