News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Highways that exist only in one city

Started by golden eagle, July 20, 2010, 12:06:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mapman1071

Quote from: hm insulators on July 26, 2010, 04:18:26 PM
A couple off the top of my head: Arizona 51 and Arizona 143, both entirely in Phoenix.
AZ 210/Future I-210 Tucson
AZ 280 Yuma
AZ 95s/95t Parker
AZ 79b Florence
Unsigned Loop202 Spur Phoenix

TheStranger

In Austin, Loop 111 (former US 183) I don't think ever leaves the city limits, along with Loop 275 (former US 79/81).  I think the same deal applies to Spur 343 which I'm not even sure is all that well-signed.

In Lampasas, Loop 257 is a short connector through town between two segments of US 190.
Chris Sampang

golden eagle

Quote from: Brandon on July 26, 2010, 02:21:24 PM
Now for a different thread, highways that exist in only one county, there are a few.

That'll be the longest thread ever.

By the way, did anyone mention Kentucky 4, known as New Circle Road, which is entirely in Lexington? And what about Kentucky 2054 through Louisville?

Brandon

Quote from: golden eagle on August 03, 2010, 11:38:58 PM
Now for a different thread, highways that exist in only one county, there are a few.

By the way, did anyone mention Kentucky 4, known as New Circle Road, which is entirely in Lexington? And what about Kentucky 2054 through Louisville?

Yes, it would be a long thread.  Some states like Kentucky would have lists a mile and a half long.  Others, like Illinois, would have a very short list.  And then don't get me started on Hawai'i's routes.  :-o
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

kj3400

Quote from: Brandon on August 04, 2010, 10:38:48 AM
Quote from: golden eagle on August 03, 2010, 11:38:58 PM

Yes, it would be a long thread.  Some states like Kentucky would have lists a mile and a half long.  Others, like Illinois, would have a very short list.  And then don't get me started on Hawai'i's routes.  :-o

All of them, right? :P Someone should start that thread just for kicks.

I can only think of DC Rt. 295 which exists entirely in DC. Districts do count, right?
Call me Kenny/Kenneth. No, seriously.

golden eagle

Washington is a city (in my opinion), so it counts to me.

mapman1071

Quote from: AlpsROADS on July 20, 2010, 06:53:07 PM
I-278 in NY isn't even that long, but it's about as long as you'll get for a single route (excluding the NJ part) for the Northeast US.  It's around 33 miles.  The entire Belt Parkway (including the Cross Island) is around 35 miles.

Cross Island Parkway Starting at  Exit 25A Southern Parkway - East to Exit 27   Jamaica Avenue/Jericho Turnpike (NY 25) Is In Nassau County but is Matained By NYCDOT

[Fixed the quote. -rmf67]

Seenhighways

Quote from: mightyace on July 20, 2010, 01:52:37 AM
Here are a few I came up with:

I-440, TN 45, 155, 254, 255 Nashville, TN
I-275, I-640 Knoxville, TN
I-124 (Hidden) Chattanooga, TN
I-240 Memphis

There is also I-240 in Oklahoma City, OK it is also a loop route.  There may be more along the I-40 route.

Stephane Dumas

Winnipeg have its own system of "city routes", the only provincial highways going into Winnipeg city limits are TCH-1, MB-59, TCH-100, TCH-101.

Brandon

Quote from: kj3400 on August 04, 2010, 02:17:49 PM
Quote from: Brandon on August 04, 2010, 10:38:48 AM

All of them, right? :P Someone should start that thread just for kicks.

I can only think of DC Rt. 295 which exists entirely in DC. Districts do count, right?

Although, thinking about it, all of Oahu's routes are technically viable for this thread.  They all exist in the City and County of Honolulu.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Alps

Thanks to the Hawai`i comment, I now have another idea.  How about routes that exist in NO cities at all?  That is to say, the entire route lies in unincorporated land and never crosses any boundaries except county lines.  I'm sure there are plenty out in the Western deserts.

TheStranger

Quote from: AlpsROADS on August 19, 2010, 09:08:45 PM
How about routes that exist in NO cities at all?  That is to say, the entire route lies in unincorporated land and never crosses any boundaries except county lines.  I'm sure there are plenty out in the Western deserts.
First one that came to mind was Route 177 in Riverside County - from I-10 in unincorporated Desert Center to Route 62 in unincorporated Rice.

Another one - not sure if it still exists, though Google Street View suggests it does - is the short remnant of Route 195 on the north shore of the Salton Sea; this was true even when the route went up Box Canyon Road to Interstate 10 at today's exit 168.
Chris Sampang

mgk920

Thanks to the Hawai`i comment, I now have another idea.  How about routes that exist in NO cities at all?  That is to say, the entire route lies in unincorporated land and never crosses any boundaries except county lines.  I'm sure there are plenty out in the Western deserts.

There are a couple of very tiny state highways in the Devil's Lake S.P. area just south of Baraboo, WI that enter no incorporated city or village.  There might also be one or two more in the far northern part of the state.

Mike

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Thanks to the Hawai`i comment, I now have another idea.  How about routes that exist in NO cities at all?  That is to say, the entire route lies in unincorporated land and never crosses any boundaries except county lines.  I'm sure there are plenty out in the Western deserts.

Oh 288 in North Central Ohio. It doesn't even cross a county line.
Oh 282 between US 422 and 305, in Northeast Ohio, crosses the Geauga-Portage line (and Nelson Kennedy State Park), but no towns*
* - It used to run further south to Garettsville, but was scaled back in the 1960s.
Oh 746 in Central Ohio. It does cross the Morrow-Marion Co. line. But I'd classify it as a maybe. I don't recall if the Calidonia city limits cross over Oh 309 or not.
Oh 657 in Central Ohio. It goes through several unincorporated communities in Licking Co. The northern reaches of Newark may clip 657's southern terminous.
(to be continued)
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

mgk920

Does I-215 (NV) enter any incorporated municipality?

Also, how many of the surface street state highways in the Las Vegas, NV area do not enter any incorporated municipality?

Mike

OracleUsr

NC has two I can think of right off the bat:

NC 400  --Basically a couple of blocks in the town of Manteo
NC 610  --All in southern High Point
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

thenetwork

Quote from: Adam Smith on August 22, 2010, 01:04:46 AM
Oh 288 in North Central Ohio. It doesn't even cross a county line.
Oh 282 between US 422 and 305, in Northeast Ohio, crosses the Geauga-Portage line (and Nelson Kennedy State Park), but no towns*
* - It used to run further south to Garettsville, but was scaled back in the 1960s.
Oh 746 in Central Ohio. It does cross the Morrow-Marion Co. line. But I'd classify it as a maybe. I don't recall if the Calidonia city limits cross over Oh 309 or not.
Oh 657 in Central Ohio. It goes through several unincorporated communities in Licking Co. The northern reaches of Newark may clip 657's southern terminous.
(to be continued)

Many in Ohio, including:

SR 358 In Ottawa County.  (Connects SR 2 & US 6)
SR 523 In Sandusky County. (Connects SR's 19 & 53)
SR 778 & SR 228 In Sandusky County.  (Both connect SRs 19 & 101)

bulldog1979

All Michigan highways would be in incorporated land. All of MI is incorporated into either cities, villages or townships.

rawmustard

Quote from: bulldog1979 on August 23, 2010, 09:18:43 AM
All Michigan highways would be in incorporated land. All of MI is incorporated into either cities, villages or townships.

Townships in Michigan are considered to be unincorporated. The only municipal corporations Michigan has are cities and villages; the only difference between those are that villages are part of whichever townships they happen to lie while cities are not.

froggie

The two halves of MS 607 would fall under this new category.  I'm pretty sure there are several other Mississippi routes that also qualify (like MS 854).

Would have to do some research into which placenames in Virginia are actually incorporated towns before I could make any guesses there.

There's only a very few in Minnesota, since the vast majority of the smaller state routes that you'd otherwise think would qualify were created to link INCORPORATED cities (in Minnesota, *EVERY* incorporated town is officially a city, even Tenney, population 4) to the state highway system.  Amongst the few I can think of offhand that qualify as not going into any incorporated place are 117, 286, 308, and 317.

Steve:  how would you classify the New England "Towns" here (i.e. NH, VT, MA, etc)?  Incorporated?  Unincorporated?

Brandon

Quote from: rawmustard on August 23, 2010, 10:05:16 AM
Quote from: bulldog1979 on August 23, 2010, 09:18:43 AM

Townships in Michigan are considered to be unincorporated. The only municipal corporations Michigan has are cities and villages; the only difference between those are that villages are part of whichever townships they happen to lie while cities are not.

Then there are the charter townships which are different from regular townships.

yakra

Quote from: froggie on August 23, 2010, 10:18:07 AMhow would you classify the New England "Towns" here (i.e. NH, VT, MA, etc)?  Incorporated?  Unincorporated?
Note how I snipped the part where you asked Steve specifically. ;)

Incorporated.
Here in Maine, we have Cities and Towns - I wanna say towns are roughly similar to Boroughs in Pennsylvania?
Unincorporated areas are Townships - even the occasional Grant, which you'll see listed in the shapefiles as, say, "North Yarmouth Academy Grant Twp".
We also have these weird little halfway-in-between entities called Plantations. Organized-but-not-incorporated, or something? I still don't really understand how they differ from, say, towns. But they exist.

NH seems to have a lot of Grants and Locations. But I don't really have any knowledge of how their minor civil divisions work.
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.