News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Live albums

Started by hbelkins, June 05, 2022, 08:13:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

Live albums aren't everyone's cup of tea, but I personally like them.

Here, in no particular order, are some of my favorites:

Rush -- All The World's A Stage
Queen -- Live Killers
Kiss -- Alive!
The Kings -- One For The Road
Ted Nugent -- Double Live Gonzo
Aerosmith -- Live Bootleg
Chicago -- Live in Japan (originally available in the US only as a vinyl import, which I have)
Brian May -- Live at the Brixton Academy
Cheap Trick At Budokan (the complete two-CD set)
Chicago -- XXXIV Live in '75
Deep Purple -- Made in Japan
Genesis -- Three Sides Live
Genesis -- The Way We Walk (Vol. 1-2)
Iron Maiden -- Live After Death
Judas Priest -- Unleashed in the East
Led Zeppelin -- Celebration Day
Led Zeppelin -- How The West Was Won
Ozzy Osbourne -- Speak of the Devil
Styx -- Return to Paradise
Thin Lizzy -- Live and Dangerous
UFO -- Strangers in The Night

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

TheHighwayMan3561

Yes - Yessongs

There is Peter Frampton's Frampton Comes Alive! which saved his career. Somehow the general public wasn't all that interested in his studio material prior to that, but thought that live album with stuff that previously didn't catch on was awesome. I'm always a little pleasantly surprised when radio plays a studio version of his songs because usually it's a live cut from Comes Alive.

I'm not a huge live album fan, but one band that's always disappointed me that there was never much prime live material from is Pink Floyd. They had some early live stuff with the Pompeii recordings, but the next large live releases were Delicate Sound of Thunder in the late 1980s and Pulse from one of their final tours after releasing the Division Bell in 1994. I don't think they've ever released live material centered on their peak mid-70s era.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

NWI_Irish96

A few of my favorites:

Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense
AC/DC - AC/DC Live
Fleetwood Mac - The Dance
The Eagles - Hell Freezes Over
Genesis - The Way We Walk Live
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Mr_Northside

Off the top of my head, I'll mention The Who - Live @ Leeds.

Also, The Band's "The Last Waltz" would be a live concert album (in addition to the movie - the recordings were also released as a 4-CD box set (that I have) quite a few years ago)
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

wanderer2575

Pat Metheny Group -- The Road to You

davewiecking

Allman Brothers Band Live at Fillmore East. End of discussion.

kevinb1994

I'm a fan of Live at Leeds, but Budokan is another favorite of mine.

There's also How the West Was Won.

Unplugged in New York is the essential Nirvana recording.

I actually prefer Seconds Out to Three Sides Live. The first Genesis live album doesn't even compare.

Road Hog

nexus73

Steppenwolf Live and Blue Oyster Cult's On Your Feet Or On Your Knees have not seen any mention, so I will add them to the list.  Made In Japan by Deep Purple is also a fave of mine.

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

mgk920

Also the sometimes repeated question regarding the percentage of today's fortysomthings who were conceived to the accompaniment of Peter Frampton's 'Frampton Comes Alive', recorded in three separate live concert sessions in the San Francisco Bay area?

:hmmm:

Mike

kphoger

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on June 06, 2022, 01:33:07 PM
The Eagles - Hell Freezes Over

Wow, I love that album.  It's also impossible to find on YouTube–darned copyrights...
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kphoger

I just finished listening to 10 000 Maniacs' live album MTV Unplugged.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

ethanhopkin14

Running on Empty by Jackson Browne wasn't entirely concert recordings, but were live sessions mixed with concert recordings, making it so Jackson Browne did what the Beatles were trying to do with Let it Be....a live album of new (to him, because it contained some covers) material.

I love Paul Simon's Concert in the Park from 1991.  I am a mega Paul Simon fan so I know my opinion is a bit biased. 

Rick Powell

Quote from: davewiecking on June 06, 2022, 08:05:51 PM
Allman Brothers Band Live at Fillmore East. End of discussion.
Their bassist, the late Berry Oakley, lived about 4 blocks away from me in Park Forest IL when I was growing up. This record often makes the various lists of "greatest live albums ever".

7/8

Most of the live albums I've listened to have been prog rock (not sure why, I should try some other ones!)

Anyway my list:
Unplugged by Eric Clapton - my parents played this one a lot and it's a great acoustic blues album,.
Genesis Live by Genesis - I wish the track list was longer, but they perform well here. The ending to The Return of the Giant Hogweed is powerful!
Seconds Out by Genesis - My favourite Genesis album, which puts it as one of my favourite albums ever! I listened to this a ton in university. The Cinema Show and Supper's Ready are particular highlights and better than the studio versions IMO.
Absent Lovers by King Crimson - Probably my favourite KC album. I love the 80's era and this album blows away the studio versions with so much more energy, and it's especially impressive that it's all from a single night! The only flaw is I wish Neil and Jack and Me was on here.
The Night Watch by King Crimson - I don't like it as much as Absent Lovers, but there's still some great tracks on here (particularly disc 1 for me). Easy Money is a great opener.
Exit... Stage Left by Rush - Lots of great ones here, but Tom Sawyer is done especially well and I love the heavy bass on this version.

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on June 06, 2022, 01:15:16 PM
Yes - Yessongs
+1. The ending of Starship Trooper is so epic and a great way to finish off the album.

Quote from: hbelkins on June 05, 2022, 08:13:58 PM

I haven't tried this one yet, but I'm starting to listen to it now. :thumbsup:

1995hoo

I won't count bootlegs nor situations where an artist routinely releases whole concerts (such as Springsteen's "live archive" program).

If I set those aside, two live albums I like that have not already been mentioned are Glenn Frey's Live and the Counting Crows' Across a Wire. Part of what makes the latter interesting is that the first CD is of a performance in which they rearranged all the songs from the studio versions, so you hear something a bit different from the way you're used to hearing those songs. The segue of the Byrds' "So You Want to Be a Rock and Roll Star" into "Mr. Jones" really underscores how the band came to view "Mr. Jones" after it was a big hit single.

Jimmy Buffett's Feeding Frenzy is a good one that is slightly marred by the inclusion of the long, annoying rant prior to "A Love Song (From a Different Point of View)" (better known as "Why Don't We Get Drunk and Screw").
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

hbelkins

Quote from: mgk920 on June 07, 2022, 11:11:22 AM
Also the sometimes repeated question regarding the percentage of today's fortysomthings who were conceived to the accompaniment of Peter Frampton's 'Frampton Comes Alive', recorded in three separate live concert sessions in the San Francisco Bay area?

:hmmm:

Mike

The popularity of that album is something that befuddles me to this day. He was relatively unknown as a solo artist before that double live set took off. And I don't think it was the novelty of the talk box, as it was already being used by Aerosmith and Joe Walsh.

As for me, it's in my collection, but it doesn't get a lot of heavy play from me these days. I actually had the 8-track as a teenager.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: hbelkins on June 05, 2022, 08:13:58 PM
Live albums aren't everyone's cup of tea, but I personally like them.

Here, in no particular order, are some of my favorites:

Queen -- Live Killers
Kiss -- Alive!
The Kings -- One For The Road
Ted Nugent -- Double Live Gonzo
Aerosmith -- Live Bootleg
Chicago -- Live in Japan (originally available in the US only as a vinyl import, which I have)
Brian May -- Live at the Brixton Academy
Cheap Trick At Budokan (the complete two-CD set)
Chicago -- XXXIV Live in '75
Deep Purple -- Made in Japan
Genesis -- Three Sides Live
Genesis -- The Way We Walk (Vol. 1-2)
Iron Maiden -- Live After Death
Judas Priest -- Unleashed in the East
Led Zeppelin -- Celebration Day
Led Zeppelin -- How The West Was Won
Ozzy Osbourne -- Speak of the Devil
Styx -- Return to Paradise
Thin Lizzy -- Live and Dangerous
UFO -- Strangers in The Night

Live Killers is probably my favorite live album.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

abefroman329

Delicate Sound of Thunder and Pulse

A Live One

Ben Folds Live

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.