News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Highways maintained by the National Park Service

Started by kj3400, July 20, 2010, 02:44:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

agentsteel53

Jeff Royston got a photo of it for us.

Dec '98.  
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

TheStranger

Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 12, 2010, 03:07:13 PM
Jeff Royston got a photo of it for us.

www.aaroads.com/shields/img/NY/NY19724951i1.jpg

Dec '98. 

Series E digits!  How many states used Series E shield digits for Interstates on a regular basis?

Seems like they're mostly found on newer US route shields the most.
Chris Sampang

agentsteel53

Quote from: TheStranger on August 12, 2010, 03:21:59 PM

Series E digits!  How many states used Series E shield digits for Interstates on a regular basis?

A lot of states in the 40s-60s used the entire set of widths, A-F, for various digit quantities.  For example, a 1961 Indiana MUTCD that I have a scan of specifies Series A for three-digit US and state route shields, and Series F for one-digit. 

Series E was specified for "one and a half digit" in a lot of places - a digit 1 and another digit. Indiana was not alone: Montana as well used it on US-10 and US-12 shields a lot. 

as for interstates, I am trying to think of any consistent examples - it seems to show up most on I-10 shields (especially in Mississippi and California) and occasionally California I-5 and I-8.  Again, fewer digits.  I-495 is very unusual...
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

akotchi

Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 11, 2010, 04:21:48 PM
Quote from: TheStranger on August 11, 2010, 04:18:05 PM

Doesn't I-78 east of Route 139 in Jersey City qualify for the latter? :-D

I keep forgetting that I-78 ends as a surface street at the tunnel.  I'm surprised that when they truncated it, they didn't truncate the extra few miles to keep it all freeway.
If memory serves, I-78 is designated into the Holland Tunnel and ends at surface streets on the Manhattan side.  I believe there are signs on West Street showing I-78 shields.
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

PAHighways

US 206 and US 209 within the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area is under the jurisdiction of the National Park Service.

Duke87

Quote from: TheStranger on August 12, 2010, 03:01:14 PM
Honestly, a surface street NY 495 between the Queens-Midtown and Lincoln wouldn't be such a bad idea, and some late-90s atlases even showed that along 34th.

Except that sections of surface street state highways in New York that are within a city are generally maintained by said city rather than by NYSDOT. So, a surface street designation entirely within the City of New York wouldn't serve much purpose. There aren't too many numbered state routes in the five boroughs (22, 25, 25A, and 27), all of them extend into the city from beyond its borders.
Then again, the NY 495 designation already exists pointlessly (albeit unsigned) on roadway maintained by the Port Authority, so why not?

If it is to be done, though, it will likely have to be a one-way couple on two streets other than 34th. NYCDOT has plans to convert 34th to one-way towards the rivers with bus lanes, and it will be unable to carry any numbered routes if that happens.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

TheStranger

Quote from: Duke87 on August 12, 2010, 05:03:00 PM
Quote from: TheStranger on August 12, 2010, 03:01:14 PM
Honestly, a surface street NY 495 between the Queens-Midtown and Lincoln wouldn't be such a bad idea, and some late-90s atlases even showed that along 34th.

Except that sections of surface street state highways in New York that are within a city are generally maintained by said city rather than by NYSDOT. So, a surface street designation entirely within the City of New York wouldn't serve much purpose. There aren't too many numbered state routes in the five boroughs (22, 25, 25A, and 27), all of them extend into the city from beyond its borders.
Then again, the NY 495 designation already exists pointlessly (albeit unsigned) on roadway maintained by the Port Authority, so why not?

If it is to be done, though, it will likely have to be a one-way couple on two streets other than 34th. NYCDOT has plans to convert 34th to one-way towards the rivers with bus lanes, and it will be unable to carry any numbered routes if that happens.

Since the designation exists per se, at least it'd be a good way to create a naviable numbered route between the two tunnels (and IIRC, I don't think 34th is the most direct path between the two, despite the old TO 495 signs on it).
Chris Sampang

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.