News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Largest and smallest professional sporting events you've attended

Started by Bruce, May 21, 2022, 02:59:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruce

Would be a fun little competition to find the biggest and smallest figures, sorted by sport.

My largest: 68,741 - May 4, 2022 - Seattle Sounders FC vs. UNAM Pumas at Lumen Field in Seattle (Soccer, CONCACAF Champions League Final)

My smallest: 5,660 - April 17, 2022 - OL Reign vs. Angel City FC at Lumen Field in Seattle (Soccer, NWSL Challenge Cup)

Max Rockatansky

The largest would be either a Brickyard 400 or Indianapolis 500 when auto racing was at it's peak popularity.  Fair chance all those events had over 300,000 at the race track. 

Given I've been to dozens of MLB Spring Training games in Arizona and Florida that lowest attendance would likely be one of them.

Rothman

Largest was a Red Sox-Oriole game at Camden Yards in 2004.

Smallest was probably one of my daughter's softball t-ball games. :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 21, 2022, 09:07:30 AM
The largest would be either a Brickyard 400 or Indianapolis 500 when auto racing was at it's peak popularity.  Fair chance all those events had over 300,000 at the race track. 

Given I've been to dozens of MLB Spring Training games in Arizona and Florida that lowest attendance would likely be one of them.

Any Indy 500 is going to be the largest sporting event anybody ever attended, unless you count something like the World Cup or Olympics as a single event.

So Indy 500 is also my answer for largest. If we're counting Spring Training then that would be it for me as well.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

GaryV

Rothman

Quote from: GaryV on May 21, 2022, 09:59:25 AM
Quote from: Rothman on May 21, 2022, 09:49:34 AM
Smallest was probably one of my daughter's softball t-ball games. :D

They have pro t-ball?
I certainly paid for her to play.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Jim

I'm thinking a pre-2009 Yankee Stadium sellout would have been my largest, so somewhere in the 55,000 range.  I can't come up with anything I've been to that has a chance at being a larger crowd.

Edit: My largest is probably Bills-Dolphins playoff game in January, 1999.  I see the attendance was reported at 72,698.

I've been to some early-season minor league baseball games in the north and mid-summer minor league baseball games in Florida where the staff had to outnumber the paying customers.  I'll go with maybe 150-200 as the smallest.
Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

CoreySamson

The largest game I ever attended was probably Chargers-Texans, Nov 27, 2016 at NRG Stadium with an attendance of 71,897. My lowest professional game is probably a toss-up between a Lastros Astros game, a Rockets game, or a Dynamo game.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

Alps

Yeah I can't even. Smallest would be the Expos in 2003 with about 500 fans in the stadium. Smaller than any minor league game I've been to! (Those have been under 1000 once or twice even.) Largest I'm assuming is sold out football in Giants Stadium as a kid, couldn't tell you. Hoping to get soon to Michigan football which will win with over 100k.

Flint1979

Largest: 115,109 on September 7, 2013. Notre Dame vs. Michigan football.

Smallest: It has to be the game I went to a few years ago in Chicago. Rays vs. White Sox it was an early April game after Opening Day so no one was there hardly. I think the announced attendance was much higher than what was really there, I'd say maybe 400 fans were there but that number even seems like it might be high. I just remember it being a Monday day game, going downtown to park and coming back to the Southside on the Red Line.

SectorZ

Largest I have no idea. Probably multiple Patriots games.

Smallest was sometime in 2001, a Lowell Spinners game. It was probably a sellout (around 4500 on a Friday night) to start, but after the Spinners took a 5-0 lead in the first there was a 1.5 hour rain delay. By the end, my now-wife and I were two of twenty people remaining just before midnight or so. The game was even a bigger blowout by the end.

jp the roadgeek

Largest: Probably Orioles vs Oakland in 92 (attendance was 45,580)  First year of Camden Yards.  The only NFL game I ever attended was in a half empty Foxboro Stadium when the Pats were 1-15 in 1990.

Smallest: probably a weeknight New Britain Red Sox game when I was a kid (maybe 500 people tops).  Major sports: probably a Hartford Whalers game played during a snowstorm.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Takumi

Largest, probably the inaugural Roval race at Charlotte. Smallest, IMSA at Virginia International Raceway.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

hbelkins

Largest would be various Cincinnati Reds games in the old Riverfront Stadium in the 1970s. One year we were seated directly behind home plate, two rows from the top in the upper deck. Every infield pop-up looked like it was going over the fence.

Smallest would be a Lexington Legends minor league game in the late 1990s.

Overall largest sporting event would be various UK football games

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.