Controlled Access Roads Routed Under Buildings

Started by Grzrd, August 25, 2010, 03:52:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grzrd

Years ago, I worked in in Atlanta, GA at the Atlanta Financial Center building.  About 1.5 to 2 miles north of I-85 junction, a portion of the toll section of GA 400, a controlled access highway, is routed directly under the building.

Anyone aware of any other controlled access highways routed directly underneath a building?

TheHighwayMan3561

I'm not sure if this is what you had in mind, but I-394 in Minneapolis runs beneath two parking garages just west of its eastern terminus. Both garages have ramps directly to and from the freeway.

I remember seeing a picture of a freeway on-ramp in Japan that was built to pass through a building.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

TheStranger

There's a Walgreens located on the overpass above Interstate 80 on the edge of downtown Reno...

IIRC, the Eisenhower Expressway in Chicago has a large former mail facility over the carriageways.
Chris Sampang

Scott5114

Part of the I-35/I-670 interchange (and I-670 itself I think) in Kansas City is routed under the Bartle Hall convention center.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

deathtopumpkins

Most of the MassPike (I-90) into Boston has development built above it. Out in the western suburbs there are a few random buildings, but closer to downtown it seems sometimes like more is covered than not.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

SSOWorld

This is a concept called "air rights". MassHwy's doing this to fund the bloated big dig.  Two apartment buildings cover I-95 in Manhattan and the UN building covers the FDR.  Milwaukee has two ramps that go under the county courthouse.  Chicago also has rail yards covering the Kennedy near the Olglevie Transportation Center.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

agentsteel53

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on August 25, 2010, 03:57:08 PM
I'm not sure if this is what you had in mind, but I-394 in Minneapolis runs beneath two parking garages just west of its eastern terminus. Both garages have ramps directly to and from the freeway.

I remember seeing a picture of a freeway on-ramp in Japan that was built to pass through a building.

I don't suppose there are any long-forgotten I-394 signs in those garages?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Bickendan

Can't remember.

I-5 passes under Convention Center in Seattle.

US71

There's a section of US 67 routed under an airport runway at St Louis
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

jdb1234

The Red Mountain Expressway goes under a building at Highland Ave in Birmingham.

ctsignguy

When I-670 was redone near downtown Columbus, people wanted to preserve the historic aspects of the Short North....not cut off from the city as German Village was when I-70 went through many years ago....so ODOT had two rows of small business buildings built along the High St overpass....so when you are on High St either way, you have no idea you have driven over I-670...and the new buildings fit in nicely with the local architecture.
http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u102/ctsignguy/<br /><br />Maintaining an interest in Fine Highway Signs since 1958....

Duke87

Quote from: Master son on August 25, 2010, 04:16:54 PM
Two apartment buildings cover I-95 in Manhattan and the UN building covers the FDR.

It's four appartment buildings, actually. Plus the GWB Bus Terminal. And the UN is only one of several buildings that overhang the FDR.

New York City's less acknowledged example of this is Lehman High School in The Bronx, which sits astride the Hutchinson River Parkway just south of Tremont Avenue.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Stephane Dumas

A part of A-720/Ville-Marie autoroute in Montreal run under some buildings as well as ramps coming to and from A-10/Bonaventure autoroute.

Eth

Elsewhere in Atlanta, I-75/85 passes directly beneath the Civic Center MARTA station.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 25, 2010, 04:29:16 PM
Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on August 25, 2010, 03:57:08 PM

I don't suppose there are any long-forgotten I-394 signs in those garages?
No idea - I very rarely go near them, much less park in them. It would be something to check out though.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

mgk920

Quote from: TheStranger on August 25, 2010, 03:59:12 PM
There's a Walgreens located on the overpass above Interstate 80 on the edge of downtown Reno...

IIRC, the Eisenhower Expressway in Chicago has a large former mail facility over the carriageways.
The Congress Extension of the Eisenhower passes *through* Chicago's former main Post Office.

Also, don't the freeway tunnels in Pittsburgh, PA pass directly under numerous neighborhood buildings (ie, houses, shops, taverns, etc)?  I also believe that the major tunnels in the NYC area pass directly under various buildings.

Mike

Stephane Dumas

The Cross City Tunnel and part of the Eastern Distributor in Sydney, Australia, runs below buildings and street grid http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross_City_Tunnel http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_Distributor

Alps

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on August 25, 2010, 04:08:55 PM
Most of the MassPike (I-90) into Boston has development built above it. Out in the western suburbs there are a few random buildings, but closer to downtown it seems sometimes like more is covered than not.

You have a Sheraton, I believe, out in Newton, and a Shaw's supermarket further west but still inside I-495 (if not I-95).  Downtown, I-90 was cut into Back Bay and then covered - I've seen historical photos, and it was constructed a good 3-4 years before it was completely covered.

oscar

The I-395 tunnel in D.C. under the Mall runs under the headquarters buildings for the Department of Labor at the north end, and of Health and Human Services at the south end.  Indeed, IIRC, both buildings were built along with the tunnel, and incorporate ventilation shafts for the tunnel.

Not quite the same, but I-66 through Arlington VA runs under parking decks for Washington-Lee High School. 
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

jemacedo9

I-195 in Fall River MA passes under a building, and I-95 in Phila passes under a small park.

rawmustard

In Detroit, the south end of the Lodge goes under Cobo Hall.

Grzrd

Many more than I suspected.  Potential for an "X-Geeks" "clinch" category?

BigMattFromTexas

Only thing I can think of is the Lincoln Tunnel under Weehawken Stadium in Weehawken, New Jersey.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

In Cincinnati, I-71, between Ft. Washington Way and I-471, goes underneith Lytle Park and several buildings.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.