News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Making my own road atlas

Started by deathtopumpkins, September 18, 2010, 03:16:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian

Really cool! I can't wait to see New Hampshire and Pennsylvania  :cool:
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Scott5114

Quote from: Roadgeek_Adam on September 19, 2010, 08:15:21 PM
Not having NC 400 means its not technically correct. Make it a dot, and link an arrow to the road.

Not necessarily. Omitting details not clear enough to see at the current scale is necessary for a map to be usable. Otherwise maps would just be multicolored blobs of ink from including everything ever.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

corco

The other option would be to take cartographic liberty and exaggerate NC 400's length to display it, which is probably would I would do given what I perceive to the be purpose of the map, but either omission or extension based on cartographic liberty are totally valid options given the scale of the map and the desired aesthetics.

A dot would be pointless because it wouldn't have any meaning- it would just be a rogue NC 400 shield that would be more confusing than useful. Either extend the road beyond its actual path to make it seem real or omit it entirely. Both possibilities seem to meet the purpose of the map, so go with your gut.

deathtopumpkins

I'm leaving it off. I would be more inclined to include it as an over-extended line with a shield pointing to it if 1) it actually went somewhere significant, and 2) there were even room to show that on the map. Roanoke Island is cluttered enough as it is, IMO.

And for the record, NC 400's not the only state route segment I've left off.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

Bickendan

The Interstate shields are neutered. ;)

I love what I see; my only real gripe is the symbology colors. But that's because I've grown up with the Thomas Guides...

usends

This is looking good - what a huge project, though... not only the initial creation, but also the ongoing task of maintenance.

My two cents about county seats: I'm not a fan of using different dots to indicate county seats - the info that's being conveyed isn't really important enough to justify the added confusion.  The best solution I've seen is to do the dot size and font size just like any other town - the only difference is that county seat labels get underlined.

I am a fan of using state-specific route shields, and I like both the NC and US markers on your latest version.  However, some state shields are going to have to be "dumbed-down" a bit, in order to work on a map of this scale (MN immediately comes to mind, and your WY markers are probably going to have to be sans-cowboy).  I think that's true of your 2di shields as well.  They may be accurate, but the word "Interstate" is hardly legible on-screen, and will probably not print well either.  I'd just remove the text and go with an empty red area, like you've done on your 3di's.

I've never used Inkscape... I assume it has layers?  If so, I would move the yellow inset box down to a lower layer, so that it's not adding yellow to features like route markers and interchange boxes.

Why are some proposed routes green?  Is that because they're projected to be toll routes?  If not, then I'd just go with the same color that you'd use if the road were already built (or maybe the same color tinted back).  The dashed line should be enough to indicate that it doesn't currently exist.

Even if you do end up going with city limit fills, I think you still need to use dots for the bigger cities, like Raleigh, Cary, Durham, etc.  Traditionally these get placed in the downtown area.

I think the text halos around the labels for bigger cities need to be a little thicker.

It looks like you're using a gray stroke around water - I would suggest no stroke.  Or if you need a stroke, then use the same color as the fill.

Does the font you've chosen have an italic flavor?  If so, I'd suggest going with italics for natural features, such as the cape labels and water labels.  And I agree with the poster who said curved type for the rivers would look better.  I would also add the word "River" to each river, or at least the abbreviation "R."

I think the fills for forests and military facilities can be toned down quite a bit - those kinds of things don't need to be so visually prominent on a transportation map.
usends.com - US highway endpoints, photos, maps, and history

agentsteel53

needs '61 spec good-looking shields, not '70 spec ugly ones!  :sombrero:
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

deathtopumpkins

Quote from: Bickendan on September 20, 2010, 02:53:48 AM
The Interstate shields are neutered. ;)

I love what I see; my only real gripe is the symbology colors. But that's because I've grown up with the Thomas Guides...

Could you really see the state name anyway?  :-P

Quote from: usends on September 20, 2010, 04:47:15 PM
This is looking good - what a huge project, though... not only the initial creation, but also the ongoing task of maintenance.

My two cents about county seats: I'm not a fan of using different dots to indicate county seats - the info that's being conveyed isn't really important enough to justify the added confusion.  The best solution I've seen is to do the dot size and font size just like any other town - the only difference is that county seat labels get underlined.

That's a good idea. I'll play with it. I think I'm just partial to the hollowed-out dots because that's what *shudder* Rand uses.

QuoteI am a fan of using state-specific route shields, and I like both the NC and US markers on your latest version.  However, some state shields are going to have to be "dumbed-down" a bit, in order to work on a map of this scale (MN immediately comes to mind, and your WY markers are probably going to have to be sans-cowboy).  I think that's true of your 2di shields as well.  They may be accurate, but the word "Interstate" is hardly legible on-screen, and will probably not print well either.  I'd just remove the text and go with an empty red area, like you've done on your 3di's.

Yeah I was planning on simplifying the other states, but leaving them overall very close in appearance to actual signs in the field.  As for interstate shields, the 3dis do have the word "interstate" in them, but I'll try removing it from them all too.

QuoteI've never used Inkscape... I assume it has layers?  If so, I would move the yellow inset box down to a lower layer, so that it's not adding yellow to features like route markers and interchange boxes.

It does have layers. A very intuitive system actually, each object is its own layer. I had purposely put the inset boxes on the very top, but again, I'll play with moving them down.

QuoteWhy are some proposed routes green?  Is that because they're projected to be toll routes?  If not, then I'd just go with the same color that you'd use if the road were already built (or maybe the same color tinted back).  The dashed line should be enough to indicate that it doesn't currently exist.

Correct, they're both toll roads. Color choices like that will be clearly explained on the legend, whenever I make it.

QuoteEven if you do end up going with city limit fills, I think you still need to use dots for the bigger cities, like Raleigh, Cary, Durham, etc.  Traditionally these get placed in the downtown area.

Meh... I'm mixed on this one. I really don't like to, but I guess it would clearly show what specifically is downtown.

QuoteI think the text halos around the labels for bigger cities need to be a little thicker.

Okay, I'll try that.

QuoteIt looks like you're using a gray stroke around water - I would suggest no stroke.  Or if you need a stroke, then use the same color as the fill.

Nope, no stroke. That's just an effect of the fact that I imported the water as a raster image (rather than drawing it as a vector in Inkscape) and the map as a whole currently does not have a background. That "stroke" will not appear on the final product.

QuoteDoes the font you've chosen have an italic flavor?  If so, I'd suggest going with italics for natural features, such as the cape labels and water labels.  And I agree with the poster who said curved type for the rivers would look better.  I would also add the word "River" to each river, or at least the abbreviation "R."

Simple enough, and done. Italicized and added an "R.", and curved some of them.

QuoteI think the fills for forests and military facilities can be toned down quite a bit - those kinds of things don't need to be so visually prominent on a transportation map.

A lighter color maybe? Some transparency? I'll try a little lighter colors.

Jake: Shield generator acceptable? :P
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

agentsteel53

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on September 20, 2010, 09:02:09 PM

Jake: Shield generator acceptable? :P

yeah, try '61 generic (aka neutered) for the interstates, and '48 spec US but make it a cutout by removing the extra white around the edges.

jake@aaroads.com

deathtopumpkins

But the shield generator can't save files as .svg, can it? I think I might just keep them the way they already are, to save me a little work. They aren't TOO bad, are they?

agentsteel53

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on September 20, 2010, 09:44:17 PM
But the shield generator can't save files as .svg, can it?

nope. that would put me out of business :)

QuoteI think I might just keep them the way they already are, to save me a little work. They aren't TOO bad, are they?

they're pretty hideous.  Blame Penna DOT.  I can see why all kinds of official sources use them (because they are the federal standard) but what gets me is why a lot of places online use them too.  Wikipedia, for instance.  You do not need the extra 2.5% legibility because you are not reading Wikipedia in 24" size while doing 65mph.

jake@aaroads.com

brownpelican

Wow, this is damned good work here.

CL

For legibility's sake, I suggest you don't use the 1948 US cutout shields... mostly because of the small "US" on the top. If you're glancing at a road atlas I doubt that detail will aid someone all that much. And wouldn't Wikipedia be using them since that's how most modern U.S. Highways are signed?
Infrastructure. The city.

agentsteel53

I didn't mean the 1948 state/US spec, because that would be illegible in the small format.

this style would make the most sense:

jake@aaroads.com

CL

I do like the vintage feel of the series-C numerals...
Infrastructure. The city.

bulldog1979

Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 20, 2010, 10:23:43 PM
Quote from: deathtopumpkins on September 20, 2010, 09:44:17 PMI think I might just keep them the way they already are, to save me a little work. They aren't TOO bad, are they?

they're pretty hideous.  Blame Penna DOT.  I can see why all kinds of official sources use them (because they are the federal standard) but what gets me is why a lot of places online use them too.  Wikipedia, for instance.  You do not need the extra 2.5% legibility because you are not reading Wikipedia in 24" size while doing 65mph.

No, but at 20px in height in the junction lists on Wikipedia articles, the state names won't show up either.

agentsteel53

Quote from: bulldog1979 on September 21, 2010, 06:09:07 AM

No, but at 20px in height in the junction lists on Wikipedia articles, the state names won't show up either.

I do not mean the state-named variant.  Scroll down a bit for the 84 shield I think would make a great abstract example.

jake@aaroads.com

deathtopumpkins

UPDATE!

Applied most of the suggestions from this thread (cutout shields, separate icons for partial interchanges - triangles, adjusted coloration of shaded areas, halo around text, water body names), and finished the Raleigh-Durham area, as well as pretty much the whole state east of US 1.

triplemultiplex

As a guy who gets paid to do this kind of stuff, I'll throw in some suggestions.

Someone mentioned italicizing hydro type, that's definitely good; I'd also suggest using a serif font for that purpose.  It follows good precedent set by the USGS.

I don't know what you're syntax will be for labeling mountains and stuff in the western part of the state, but the labels for the capes should follow whatever you plan on using for those land features.  Capes, points, beaches, peninsulas and islands should be thought of as land features.  In other words, they should probably be black.

The word "interstate" in the interstate shields is definitely an unnecessary detail.

You've got a nice wide palette for categorizing roads that includes, what, 4 types of divided highway?  Intriguing, but it's not immediately obvious what the difference is between your dual orange highways and your dual dark red highways.  I'm not sure if that distinction is particularly useful since you already distinguish between divided highways as either an urban arterial or a rural expressway.  The same can be said for the dark red stroke used on the NC 211 bypass of Bladenboro.  I think the addition of a few grade separations (but not yet total access control) isn't quite deserving of a whole new category.

Interesting choice for a rest area/wayside symbol.  They're a little tough to see on a freeway line, though. Perhaps a thin stroke will make them pop just enough.  It's either that or a different color, and I like that blue for rest areas; right off the signs.

What are your thoughts on half-interchange markers?
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

bugo

Quote from: triplemultiplex on September 28, 2010, 01:49:35 PM
What are your thoughts on half-interchange markers?

I would use rectangular half-sized boxes to mark partial interchanges.  Either that or regular boxes that are half black.

bugo

Another thing I would change is to use elongated shields with both numbers in the shield for duplexed routes.  I would also use a smaller font in these stretched shields.  I would also put banners like "ALT" in the top of elongated shields.  Here's an example of both from the Oklahoma map (even though I would put "ALT" in the top of the shield rather than in the bottom):

deathtopumpkins

triplemultiplex:
-I haven't really decided on how to label land features yet. I don't really see a problem with doing water and land features differently, but I'll try it both ways.

-You're not the only one who has mentioned the interstate shields. I'll remove that.

-I haven't created a legend yet, but divided highways include the following:
--orange: divided arterial;
--dark red: limited-access expressway (intersections but no driveways). Despite what you sqidabout this category, I would personally find the information very useful. I feel that it is important to know if you are on an expressway or an arterial, and it's always been a pet peeve of mine that Rand, for example, doesn't include this information;
--blue: free limited-access freeway;
--green: toll limited-access freeway;
undivided highways fall into these same categories, with the addition of grey for minor highways (thick: numbered; thin: unnumbered)

-I made the rest area blocks a much brighter blue so that theywould stand out from freeway lines. I think the contrast is sufficient for this, as that is not an insanely important feature that really needs to stand out. I'll try a few different strokes.

-As for partial interchanges, if you'll read my last post you'll see that I've already begun adding them (distorted triangles). I welcome any and all opinions on them though.

Bugo:
- while it's probably the most efficient way of doing it, I DESPISE putting multiple numbers in one shield, and flat out refuse to do it, even with banners. Additionally, I want the shields to look like they do out on the road for the most part.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.