News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Seemingly useless state highways...

Started by Quillz, October 19, 2010, 12:54:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quillz

Does your state have any state highways or routes that you feel are completely unnecessary?

California has many three-digit routes that are either a mile or less in total length. There are also other highways, such as CA-77, that aren't signed, less than a mile long and their entire route is absorbed within a longer route. To me, all these routes seem useless, and are usual the result of other roads or routes having been realigned over the years.

What about in your state? Any numbered highways that leave you wondering why it's a numbered highway?

froggie

agentsteel53

I don't know if it is reasonable to expect someone to find a thread that has not been added to in a year and a half!

in any case, I-710 between Pasadena and Valley Blvd is pretty useless.  It exists legislatively, but the navigational benefits of a zero-lane freeway are dubious at best.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Quillz

Quote from: froggie on October 19, 2010, 01:08:09 PM
We've had past discussions on useless multiplexes and pointless routes.
Sorry, didn't see these topics. I guess you can close this one, then.

froggie

QuoteI don't know if it is reasonable to expect someone to find a thread that has not been added to in a year and a half!

Was just pointing out that we've had past discussions on the topic.  As for whether it's reasonable or not to expect someone to find threads, I believe that's just a matter of whether one uses the search function or not (I do).

Alps

Those threads are SO OLD that we may as well have a new one.  I thought about merging them, but wow, those are old.

huskeroadgeek

Nebraska used to have some spur routes that didn't appear to go anywhere, but most of those have been decommisioned. Some states like Wyoming in which just about every paved road in the state is a state highway or Virginia in which the state maintains just about every rural road have more routes that don't appear to be necessary.

Ian

I guess I'll contribute to this...

• NY 157A in East Berne, NY. Such a minor suffix route that doesn't really go anywhere, just down to NY 443 and back to NY 157.
  • NY 9R in Latham, NY. Another minor suffix that goes into the 'burbs of Latham then back to US 9. I'd kill NY 9R and extend NY 470 west to US 9.
  • DE 9A in Wilmington, DE. Doesn't really serve much use except for may be connecting I-495 with DE 9
  • DE 491 in Claymond, DE. Like DE 9A, it really doesn't serve much purpose except connecting PA 491 with DE 92, plus it is only accessed by DE 92 westbound!
  • ME 216 in Phippsburg, ME. Just sort of branches off of ME 209 and abrubtly ends at a series of dirt driveways.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

cu2010

NY has several routes under a mile which do nothing but serve as a connector between two other state routes (such as 437, which is less than a half-mile long) or just connect one route to a point of interest (such as 419, which connects 329 near Watkins Glen with Watkins Glen State Park). 

On that note, 329 and 409 in the same area (which are longer than a mile, but just as useless if you ask me) start at 14/414 and just randomly end at local roads after a very short distance...

Then there's 421, which starts at 30 south of Tupper Lake (in the middle of absolutely nowhere) and dead-ends after a little over six miles at the Veteran's Memorial Camp (in the middle of absolutely, positively nowhere).

I think all of those roads could be turned into reference routes (or turned over to county/local maintenance) and nobody would really notice or care...

Of course, there's also 790 and 587...
This is cu2010, reminding you, help control the ugly sign population, don't have your shields spayed or neutered.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: froggie on October 19, 2010, 01:34:37 PM
QuoteI don't know if it is reasonable to expect someone to find a thread that has not been added to in a year and a half!

Was just pointing out that we've had past discussions on the topic.  As for whether it's reasonable or not to expect someone to find threads, I believe that's just a matter of whether one uses the search function or not (I do).

We should give you the Marc Fannin Award for Historic Thread Awareness.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

J N Winkler

My personal view is that new discussion on old topics should be merged with the older discussions and that mentions of "this has been discussed before" can usefully be translated as "these observations have been made in the past; let's not reinvent the wheel; let's go back, take those previous comments into account, and come up with something new and interesting."
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

froggie

...which is more or less the same view I have and why I referenced the earlier threads.

US71

Quote from: cu2010 on October 19, 2010, 10:05:12 PM
NY has several routes under a mile which do nothing but serve as a connector between two other state routes (such as 437, which is less than a half-mile long) or just connect one route to a point of interest (such as 419, which connects 329 near Watkins Glen with Watkins Glen State Park). 

Sounds like Arkansas: 398 connects AR 23 and AR 22

We have many more that are dead-end spurs.

352 starts at US 64, then heads south 1 mile before becoming a county road.

399 runs 1/2 a mile to the local charcoal plant near Paris, AR

219 runs from 64 at Ozark and dead-ends in the forest, while another section dead-ends near the Arkansas River

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

SSOWorld

Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.