News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

NY 17/"I-86"

Started by newyorker478, October 27, 2011, 07:54:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex

Quote from: deanej on November 05, 2011, 11:25:02 AM
In some places they already have.  Many newer guide signs in region 6 only show I-86.  In parts of Sullivan County, covered I-86 shields outnumber NY 17 reassurance shields.

That is bizarre to me see to see the south end of Interstate 390 devoid of any NY-17 shields.  :crazy: Not only are the references to NY-15 and NY-17 removed, but Elmira is also gone as well. How much of I-390 was resigned anyway?

vdeane

All of the exit signage in Steuben County is new though reassurance shields and shield assemblies at the exits have yet to be replaced for the most part.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

KEVIN_224

This is how it looked along I-84 near Middletown, NY this past July (I was heading towards Moosic, PA from Connecticut).

froggie

Looked the same way last month, and also in the other direction on I-84.

Dougtone

Quote from: deanej on November 06, 2011, 11:33:00 AM
It has been, but signs still remain.  I think they're just removing them as stuff gets replaced; the new I-390 shields south of Cohocton don't mention NY 15.

That's what I've heard, signs will be replaced as situations warrant.  I don't think NYSDOT will be doing many standalone sign removal projects, just replacing signs as the projects and contracts allow.

vdeane

They're in the process of a major sign rehab in region 4 right now (it sure makes every time I go back home interesting; always at least one new sign).  I'm not quite sure why.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

empirestate

Quote from: deanej on December 08, 2011, 06:15:47 AM
All of the exit signage in Steuben County is new though reassurance shields and shield assemblies at the exits have yet to be replaced for the most part.

There are now also overpass AND underpass names marked as well (except a couple of missing ones near Exit 3). That brings it in line with northern Livingston and southern Monroe counties.

(This is I-390 we're talking about now...)

surferdude

I can remember when I-86 in PA was named PA 17, which switched over to I-86 in Erie County, PA.  But if you want Federal Dollars, you need the Interstate or US Shield on the highway. 

empirestate

Quote from: surferdude on December 30, 2011, 11:17:56 AM
I can remember when I-86 in PA was named PA 17, which switched over to I-86 in Erie County, PA.

So can I, and it wasn't the only one. The other ("real"?) PA 17 is down in the central part of the state. I believe there are still signs on US 11/15 advising you to skip the PA 17 turnoff if you're actually aiming for NY 17.

Quote from: surferdude on December 30, 2011, 11:17:56 AM
But if you want Federal Dollars, you need the Interstate or US Shield on the highway. 
Not so; many roads are in the Federal Highway Aid Program that are neither Interstates nor US routes. And the US shield doesn't equate to federal dollars either.

hbelkins

Quote from: empirestate on December 30, 2011, 02:38:44 PM
So can I, and it wasn't the only one. The other ("real"?) PA 17 is down in the central part of the state. I believe there are still signs on US 11/15 advising you to skip the PA 17 turnoff if you're actually aiming for NY 17.

I drove US 15 from Harrisburg to Williamsport just last month, and did not see any such signage.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

empirestate

Quote from: hbelkins on December 31, 2011, 11:30:43 AM
Quote from: empirestate on December 30, 2011, 02:38:44 PM

I drove US 15 from Harrisburg to Williamsport just last month, and did not see any such signage.

It's possibly been removed, perhaps since the highway in question is now also I-86 (though if so, it took many years to make the decision to remove it). I recently did the drive SB and at night, so I haven't passed the spot for some time.

jemacedo9

As recent as 6 mths ago, on NB 11/15 at PA 17, there was a sign that read "NEW YORK STATE ROUTE 17" with a straight arrow.  It was a white-on-green one-line directional sign.  It's kinda small and easy to miss.  I usually drive SB on 11/15 once a mth but I don't drive NB as often.  Maybe it was finally removed.

hbelkins

In all honesty, it was getting dark when I drove it, so I may have missed the sign. Anxiously awaiting someone to call it up on StreetView...  :bigass:

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

jemacedo9

When construction was done on 11/15, they put up a new assembly, but they didn't put up a sign stating Penna.  The green sign is what I was referring to, but the pic has a little NY shield on it.  The sign installed after construction was the same minus the little shield.

empirestate

Quote from: NE2 on December 31, 2011, 08:03:49 PM
Who needs streetview? http://www.state-ends.com/paends/state/17.html

Good thing, too, since the sign is blurred out in StreetView (but present, at least). It's even smaller than I remember it; I expect it's probably still there and easy to miss.

hbelkins

This is the photo I got back in November:

shadyjay

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on December 08, 2011, 11:44:18 AM

This is how it looked along I-84 near Middletown, NY this past July (I was heading towards Moosic, PA from Connecticut).

That sign on the right sickens me.  We all know what is hiding under that "whiteout", but why, if NY 17 signage is going to be removed, did they even bother with two route shields and two WESTs?  Wouldn't it have made more sense to just replace the sign that existed there with a carbon copy of the former sign, with a single shield to be replaced with an I-86 shield once the interstate designation makes it down that far? 

Or am I missing something?  

vdeane

While the eventual plan is to remove NY 17, when NY 17 gets removed varies by region.  Region 6 is already removing NY 17 as signs are replaced.  Region 9 looks like it might do something similar once I-86 is more established in its region.  Region 8, on the other hand, looks like it wants to hold onto NY 17 as long as it can (it mounted the I-86 and NY 17 signs together rather than separately as other regions have done).  Can't speak for region 5 as I haven't been on its portion of I-86 in years.

xcellntbuy

The NY 17/Interstate 86 West sign was possibly installed after the NY 17 East sign.  The West sign may have been damaged and mounted ever so slightly lower than the East sign.

In the distance, the NY 17 (only) East--New York sign looks like the originally erected sign.

The old signs that used to exist at that Interstate 84 interchange had centered-mounted exit tabs and "New York City" was just "New York."  I also noted the much more substantial sign gantry in a rectangle box shape.  New York used to install triangular gantries.

machias

The sign on the left looks like it was manufactured to NYSDOT specs while the sign on the right looks like the Thruway sign shop made it, though it's hard to tell without seeing the sign in real life. I'll have to check it out the next time I'm in that area.

Thruway signs use a different version of Series D than NYSDOT. It looks like it's a bolded version of the Series D that we all know and love. When I exchanged email with the Thruway Authority about it, they told me that it was no different than any other version of Series D, but you can't help but notice that it does indeed look different.

bugo

Quote from: Brandon on November 02, 2011, 11:02:29 PM
Quote from: Quillz on November 02, 2011, 04:19:12 PM
I'd imagine New Yorkers feel about NY-17 what Californians felt about US-99. It will be a shame to see it go, given it was one of New York's most important highways for much of the 20th century.

I don't think all interstate-standard freeway necessarily has to be signed with the Interstate shield. Given how long NY-17 has been around, I would have just kept it signed as that.

Likewise for US-66 in Illinois, but I-55 took its place as the corridor was upgraded to freeway.

Likewise for literally DOZENS of US highways and state highways.

longhorn

Quote from: vdeane on January 03, 2012, 10:53:54 AM
While the eventual plan is to remove NY 17, when NY 17 gets removed varies by region.  Region 6 is already removing NY 17 as signs are replaced.  Region 9 looks like it might do something similar once I-86 is more established in its region.  Region 8, on the other hand, looks like it wants to hold onto NY 17 as long as it can (it mounted the I-86 and NY 17 signs together rather than separately as other regions have done).  Can't speak for region 5 as I haven't been on its portion of I-86 in years.

Just drove through there, is that's why between Elmira and Binghamton its still hyw17? Its pretty much interstate quality to I-87. Has the government given the ok to make it an interstate to I-87?

vdeane

Elmira to Binghamton needs the Prospect Mountain project with the I-81 interchange completed first before the rest of it can be signed.  There's also some non-standard stuff in western Broome County, but I suspect upgrading that was rolled into other projects; there was also some nonstandard stuff upgraded in Tioga County a few years ago.  Elmira-Chemung is already signed.

East of Windsor, there are a ton of little issues that need addressing, mainly things like exit ramp curvature and the like.  Most of these project, including removing the Hale Eddy at-grade intersections, have no funding.  Exit 131, however, is currently being done, and exit 125 may get done as part of the Legoland development.

Rothman

I listed the remaining projects individually somewhere in the deep reaches of the forum.  Might have been in the New York thread.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.