Which US cities eat out more, and less

Started by txstateends, May 22, 2012, 02:35:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

txstateends

http://www.bundle.com/article/how-america-eats-out/?fromMSN=true

Most:
Dallas (I believe it, as many restaurants as there are and cars in their parking lots!)
New York City
Plano (likely a similar restaurant popularity as Dallas)
Tulsa
Fort Worth (same or similar to Plano and Dallas for restaurant traffic)
Austin
Los Angeles
Miami
San Francisco
Boca Raton

Least:
Bronx
Orlando
St. Paul
Columbus, OH
Minneapolis
Charlotte
Jacksonville, FL
Cincinnati
Milwaukee
Philadelphia

The chart and the exact %s....

\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

sr641

Houston eats at McDonalds alot. Watch Supersize me.
Isaac

NE2

Bronx isn't a city. It's part of New York, which is at the top. Give Orlando the frugality prize, "bundle.com" eejits.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

kphoger

Having lived in the Chicago area, I think they must eat out a lot because there's such an abundance of fantastic restaurants.  Man, I miss the food there!
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

signalman

Quote from: NE2 on May 22, 2012, 05:01:09 PM
Bronx isn't a city. It's part of New York, which is at the top. Give Orlando the frugality prize, "bundle.com" eejits.

Brooklyn and Staten Island are mentioned too.  Again, they're part of NYC.  Eff it, they might as well go for the geographic inept award and mention what Queens does too.

bulkyorled

Kinda surprised LA is on there and definitely surprised Irvine is on there. But if that's based on ALL forms of eating out then nevermind. If it was just fast food then that would blow me away
Your local illuminated sign enthusiast

Signs Im looking for: CA only; 1, 2, 14, 118, 134, 170, 210 (CA), and any california city illuminated sign.

formulanone

Pompano Beach is a big city? I suppose throwing in all of northern Broward County into one lump comprises about 300,000 people, but...anyhow, my guess is that Orlando area natives don't want to deal with the tourists. Kind of surprises me, though.

kurumi

Quote from: bulkyorled on May 23, 2012, 06:44:35 AM
Kinda surprised LA is on there and definitely surprised Irvine is on there. But if that's based on ALL forms of eating out then nevermind. If it was just fast food then that would blow me away

Very odd selection of cities overall, starting with "New York City" (Manhattan?) vs. 3 other boroughs. Fremont, CA (214,000) and Pompano Beach, FL (99,000) but not Sunnyvale, CA (140,000). Bundle.com promises "data-driven ratings" but this chart just screams "we suck at it".
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

txstateends

According to the article in the link, they claim they didn't include fast food and bars.  I guess it was anything sit-down that wasn't considered fast food.

formulanone

Well, if you take the cities of Coral Springs (121,000), Margate (53,000), Tamarac (60,000), Coconut Creek (53,000), and Parkland (24,000) which use "Pompano Beach" (100,000) as the postal mailing address, you get around 410,000 folks, not including a few thousand that live in unincorporated areas between the city limits. Boca Raton kind of tilts the scales, since roughly two-thirds of the "postal boundaries" of Boca Raton are technically unincorporated; plus the great number of people who work within its actual city boundaries probably distorts a lot of information (since many people are likely to go out to eat when on the job).

But that Dallas number is absolutely staggering; I didn't notice a lack of supermarkets when I was in the DFW area.

agentsteel53

there are restaurants in Irvine?  I've always seen that place as a hellhole of corporate and bank headquarters buildings. 

it is next to impossible to find a gas station or a convenience store in Irvine.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

J N Winkler

Quote from: agentsteel53 on May 23, 2012, 02:05:02 PMthere are restaurants in Irvine?  I've always seen that place as a hellhole of corporate and bank headquarters buildings.

Actually, that aspect may explain its high ranking--the people who work in those buildings need places for expense-account lunches.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Beltway

Apparently Richmond VA does not eat out at all!
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

bulkyorled

Quote from: agentsteel53 on May 23, 2012, 02:05:02 PM

there are restaurants in Irvine?  I've always seen that place as a hellhole of corporate and bank headquarters buildings. 

it is next to impossible to find a gas station or a convenience store in Irvine.

Oh yea. There's stuff in Irvine but corporate is the main focus. Its like a Sim City where you accidentally forgot a few of the important lifelines like gas or shopping so you rip down a few things and squeeze it in where you can.
Your local illuminated sign enthusiast

Signs Im looking for: CA only; 1, 2, 14, 118, 134, 170, 210 (CA), and any california city illuminated sign.

luokou

Quote from: bulkyorled on May 24, 2012, 03:17:20 AM
Quote from: agentsteel53 on May 23, 2012, 02:05:02 PM

Oh yea. There's stuff in Irvine but corporate is the main focus. Its like a Sim City where you accidentally forgot a few of the important lifelines like gas or shopping so you rip down a few things and squeeze it in where you can.

For a planned city, you'd think the Irvine Company would make it a little easier for car-driving residents to find any kind of conveniences.  Sure, there are the large open-area malls near Tustin and Lake Forest, and a whole slew of places by UCI. Still doesn't mean that i'd want to spend any time in Irvine. Besides, they way they lay out their streets makes it virtually impossible to find anything anyway.

txstateends

Quote from: formulanone on May 23, 2012, 01:25:08 PM

But that Dallas number is absolutely staggering; I didn't notice a lack of supermarkets when I was in the DFW area.

That's the thing -- you'd think if the #s above for Dallas are true, that almost no one ever goes to a grocery store, but, even with a few shakeups here and there, Dallas still has many different supermarkets/grocers to choose from.  The latest addition is coming in the next year: Trader Joe's has already picked out at least 3 DFW area sites for new stores.

Duke87

Quote from: signalman on May 23, 2012, 03:28:57 AM
Quote from: NE2 on May 22, 2012, 05:01:09 PM

Brooklyn and Staten Island are mentioned too.  Again, they're part of NYC.  Eff it, they might as well go for the geographic inept award and mention what Queens does too.

It appears as though when they say "New York", they specifically mean Manhattan. If you included all the other boroughs, the number wouldn't be nearly as high. Manhattanites eat out a lot because there are lots of great places to do so, a lot of people don't have the kitchen space to cook much of anything themselves, and people have the money to throw around getting take-out all the time. But in the outer boroughs, space is greater, opportunities are not as great, and there are a lot of people who cannot afford to eat out very often.

If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.