News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Scott Kelby's Second-Annual Worldwide Photo Walk

Started by rawmustard, July 13, 2009, 12:56:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rawmustard

So is anyone here planning to participate in the Scott Kelby Worldwide Photo Walk this Saturday? (7/18) I am planning to participate in Lansing, which has reached full capacity. (Each location has a maximum of 50 official participants.) I figured I wanted to do a full photowalk of downtown Lansing in warmer weather while we were touring for last winter's East Lansing roadmeet, and this event would be as good a time as any. I do know at least one other person in the roadgeeking community is planning to participate (he can chime in if he wants), and I know several are also interested in photography in general, so it stands to reason a good number of us would be drawn

I really got interested in photo walks when several area Flickr users met up in Kalamazoo last year. (They held another just last month, but I was not able to participate in that one.) Since that time, I try to do a little more exploring of various municipalities and thus have gotten a greater appreciation of the development of a community. Since streets and their control devices obviously factor in, a little bit of roadgeeking is satiated, but I also get to look at buildings and other structures, both modern and historic. I definitely recommend participating in a photo walk if history, development, architechture, and photography are any of your interests. And even if you don't meet up with a group, it still is fun to walk around a town individually. You might see a lot more than you would just driving through.

Dougtone

Quote from: rawmustard on July 13, 2009, 12:56:44 PM
So is anyone here planning to participate in the Scott Kelby Worldwide Photo Walk this Saturday? (7/18) I am planning to participate in Lansing, which has reached full capacity. (Each location has a maximum of 50 official participants.) I figured I wanted to do a full photowalk of downtown Lansing in warmer weather while we were touring for last winter's East Lansing roadmeet, and this event would be as good a time as any. I do know at least one other person in the roadgeeking community is planning to participate (he can chime in if he wants), and I know several are also interested in photography in general, so it stands to reason a good number of us would be drawn

I really got interested in photo walks when several area Flickr users met up in Kalamazoo last year. (They held another just last month, but I was not able to participate in that one.) Since that time, I try to do a little more exploring of various municipalities and thus have gotten a greater appreciation of the development of a community. Since streets and their control devices obviously factor in, a little bit of roadgeeking is satiated, but I also get to look at buildings and other structures, both modern and historic. I definitely recommend participating in a photo walk if history, development, architechture, and photography are any of your interests. And even if you don't meet up with a group, it still is fun to walk around a town individually. You might see a lot more than you would just driving through.

I will be attending two photo walks on Saturday.  One in the morning in the Binghamton suburb of Vestal, and an evening affair in Schenectady.  I attended a Flickr meetup in Ithaca in April, and found that I could take in more of the area I was visiting, than if I was in a car alone.  Plus, it was a fun change of pace for a few hours.

CanesFan27

Quote from: rawmustard on July 13, 2009, 12:56:44 PM

I'll be participating in the one in Smithfield, NC and Burlington, NC.  I'm looking forward to both - and most likely will try to do the same in Fuquay-Varina, NC in between.

I've always been for walking aroudn towns more - it's amazing what you can discover!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.