News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

How fast do you drive?

Started by Bryant5493, April 05, 2009, 04:01:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ctsignguy

In Ohio...i drive fast enough to keep pace with the traffic, but not so fast it gets me unwanted attention..

when i travel out of state, i try to keep my nose TOTALLY clean speed-wise (highway cops just LOVE out-of-towners!)
http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u102/ctsignguy/<br /><br />Maintaining an interest in Fine Highway Signs since 1958....

PAHighways

It's easy to see the cops in Ohio.  They are usually the conspicuous cars sitting in the medians.

I only drive at the most 10 mph over the limit.

Chris

QuoteChris probably drives a diesel as they are popular here in Europe. 42mpg is easily attainable in a modern diesel, even at 90mph I get into the 40's no problem. If I do 55mph in 5th gear the on board computer registers 70mpg

Yeah, I drive on diesel. Just fueled up at the local gas station: 48 mpg  :love: Eat that Toyota Prius  :biggrin:

Bryant5493

Chris said:
:love: Eat that Toyota Prius  :biggrin:

:-D :-D

Be well,

Bryant
Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

mrivera1

Well in Southern California, if you aren't in traffic, you're going 10-20 over, no exceptions, except for those collecting Social Security, or those who can't vote yet.  Hey...that would be a good sign.   :-D
Why did Caltrans kill the US highways?  If you're smart, you'll know where you're going.  Too bad we have too many stupid people, and yes, Miss Talking on Cell Phone While Cutting Across the Freeway to Make Her Exit at 85mph, I'm talking about you.

BigMattFromTexas

when i drive im gonna go 2,000,142 M.P.S

Truvelo

Quote from: BigMatt on May 02, 2009, 07:25:49 PM

What's that? 2 million millimeters per second :-D
Speed limits limit life

Darkchylde

I usually do about 75 on freeways during the day, except if they're of the urban variety, then I'll do what the traffic gives me, up to about 5 over.

At night, I only do the speed limit unless the area's well-lit, in which case I'll do five over.

Duke87

Quote42mpg is easily attainable in a modern diesel, even at 90mph I get into the 40's no problem. If I do 55mph in 5th gear the on board computer registers 70mpg

It's also entirely possible that you guys are talking imperial gallons, which is not the same as US gallons. In that case, 42 and 70 mpg imperial are 35 and 58 mpg US, respectively.

As for how fast I drive... often the answer ends up being "as fast as the guy in front of me is going."
If the highway is wide open and there's no one in front of me, I'll be getting up to 70 to 80 unless I have to slow down for a curve or to pass someone (blowing by someone doing 50 in the right lane at 80 is inadvisable).
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Chris

Well, I was talking about US Gallons :)

I fueled up a couple of days ago: 48 mpg on average. (I calculate it by the amount of fuel I consume, and the distance driven, not by board computer, since they are usually not really correct, as several tests have pointed out.)

SSOWorld

further proof to the mentality that the U.S. has towards fuel efficiency - or the lack thereof. :rolleyes:
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Chris

Well, don't expect normal-sized (sedans, hatchbacks, mini-mpv's) European cars to get any more than 32 mpg on gasoline. The advantage of diesel is that is just consumes far less fuel, like 40% less. I never understood why Americans don't drive diesel with their personal cars, the higher diesel price is easily offset by a higher mileage per gallon.

mightyace

^^^
I know I said before that I think that it's mostly perception in this country.  Based in part upon horrible early diesel cars here and the perception that diesel has to be smelly and is only for trucks.

As, you have said in the past, that's no longer the truth.  So, how do we change public perception over here?
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Truvelo

I've heard that the BMW 335d has been approved for sale in all 50 states due to it's low emissions. What people need to do is take a test drive in this sort of diesel car and it'll change their feelings towards diesel forever. 0-60 in under 6 seconds and 50-70mph acceleration that beats a Porsche should do for starters :colorful:
Speed limits limit life

mightyace

What might the street price of the BMW 335d be?

As you probably already know, over here, BMW in considered a premium brand.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

bugo

On rural interstates, around 75-80.  On turnpikes, 80-85.  On urban freeways, usually from 65-80 depending on traffic.

Duke87

The reason you don't see diesel as much in the US is thus:

Diesel engines spew out a lot more particulate matter and sulfur oxides than traditional gasoline engines. US EPA emissions standards for those things tend to be quite a bit tighter than in Europe. This means that in order to sell the car here, the exhaust needs to be filtered far more, making it more expensive to build, and when the cars start to get old, they'll fail emissions tests like crazy.
Also factor in that cars in America are larger, because people expect them to be larger and the smaller ones simply aren't safe due to all the other large car and trucks around. Not to mention that we don't have lots of old cities and towns with really narrow streets like Europe does, so there was no reason to make cars smaller until fuel efficiency became a concern.
Because of this, the American version of any diesel car produced will be larger and thus not quite as efficient.

...of course, the US doesn't have the same exorbitant taxes on gas that Europe does, so of course there won't be the same motivation to be fuel efficient.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Chris

Actually, most diesel cars after 2004 have a particle filter that filters 95% of the particle matter. And all diesel sold is ULS (Ultra Low Sulfur) which contains 95% less sulfur than traditional (regular) diesel. The newest diesel cars are even cleaner than hybrids!

algorerhythms

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 08, 2009, 04:27:00 AM
I usually drive at 70 mph. This works well because the default speed limit in Oklahoma is 70 for freeways and 65 for most rural highways. Norman and Oklahoma City post their freeways at 60 but I really don't see any reason to slow down unless there's congestion or the cops are sitting in the totally obvious spot under the gore point sign they're always under. I will bump it up to 75 if I'm late or on a turnpike (you get 5 bonus MPH on the limit since you're such a good customer).

In cities I'll usually stick with 45-50 mph.
If you happen to see a slowpoke with Maryland plates in the right lane doing 55, that's probably me.

Quote from: Truvelo on May 04, 2009, 09:19:52 AM
Quote from: BigMatt on May 02, 2009, 07:25:49 PM

What's that? 2 million millimeters per second :-D
What's that in furlongs per fortnight? About 1.8 x 10^12?

bugo

Quote from: Chris on May 05, 2009, 01:51:06 PM
I never understood why Americans don't drive diesel with their personal cars, the higher diesel price is easily offset by a higher mileage per gallon.

Three words: Oldsmobile 350 diesel.

Hellfighter

agentsteel53

90 if I can get away with it.  Usually, I can.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

deathtopumpkins

I drive different speeds depending on the road... in my townhouse community, I usually do 20 even though the speed limit's 25 as little kids and animals are known to run out in front of you. On roads with a speed limit of 35, I usually do about 40, so I appear to be going just a tad slower than everyone around me to avoid getting pulled over. So I usually end up doing about 5 over. On the interstate, I try to stick to about 65... though often have to go up to 70 to merge or pass people.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

SSOWorld

kind of a thing to note is that usually if you "go with the flow of traffic", meaning maintain the speed that the traffic in your lane maintains and not constantly change lanes - endangering traffic by weaving back and forth, you're much less likely to get pulled over.

I have driven at 72-74 mph - in a 65 zone and cops have passed by me (I haven't detected them visually - usually because they're unmarked) and pulled others over who were weaving around or just suffering from a lead foot (note: I usually have the cruise control on)
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

aswnl

I mostly drive 130 km/h (80 mph) on freeways with 100/120 km/h (62/75 mph) limit.
But that's in my home country, the Netherlands.  :sombrero:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.