News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

AASHTO Fall 2021 meeting

Started by Crown Victoria, October 28, 2021, 12:38:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How long until the Route Numbering committee results from the Fall 2021 meeting are released?

Immediately!
0 (0%)
Within two weeks
1 (4.3%)
Within three months
3 (13%)
Just in time for the Spring 2022 meeting
15 (65.2%)
Never!
4 (17.4%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Voting closed: November 04, 2021, 12:38:55 PM

Crown Victoria

It's that time again...the AASHTO Fall 2021 meeting is being held this week. Of course we are all interested to see what route changes occur and if any new routes are born...

Feel free to vote in the poll!

CNGL-Leudimin

I wonder if this is the meeting we'll finally see the first new US Route designation since 2005 :sombrero:.

But of course, that won't happen, along with any of the following:

• I-894 decomissioned
  • I-515 absorbed by I-11
  • I-338 designated on a yet-to-be-built one way bridge into the San Francisco Bay
  • I-366 designated along VA 28
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

triplemultiplex

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on October 28, 2021, 03:20:14 PM

• I-338 designated on a yet-to-be-built one way bridge into the San Francisco Bay

One of my favorite roadgeek in-jokes.
Though let's be honest, after a few weeks it, too, would be congested as the pile of cars would back up onto the bridge and all the way to The Nimitz Freeway. :-D
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

NE2

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on October 28, 2021, 03:20:14 PM
I wonder if this is the meeting we'll finally see the first new US Route designation since 2005 :sombrero:.

But of course, that won't happen, along with any of the following:

• I-894 decomissioned
  • I-515 absorbed by I-11
  • I-366 designated along VA 28

Can we please take this mierda to fictional?
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Crown Victoria

Now that the meeting is over, let the wait begin for the results...

One item that is likely to be included this time around: I-885 in North Carolina, as the East End Connector is nearly finished.

US 89

Quote from: Crown Victoria on October 30, 2021, 02:32:06 PM

One item that is likely to be included this time around: I-885 in North Carolina, as the East End Connector is nearly finished.

I didn't get a picture, but last weekend I saw at least one standing I-885 shield on NC 147 south of Durham. There are also a whole lot of new covered-up signs in that area that I'm assuming have a bunch of 885 references on them...

LM117

I'm waiting for I-42 in Goldsboro.

Quote from: jdunlop on October 08, 2021, 02:31:38 PMI-42 was just submitted to AASTHO.  Approval anticipated in January.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

Alex

Quote from: US 89 on October 30, 2021, 05:47:01 PM

I didn't get a picture, but last weekend I saw at least one standing I-885 shield on NC 147 south of Durham. There are also a whole lot of new covered-up signs in that area that I'm assuming have a bunch of 885 references on them...

The one beyond the Glover Road overpass?

Pic from 5/31/21

TBKS1

More routes = more pictures for later.

Isn't there also like that weird Interstate 67 proposal in Indiana? I think I saw it on like interstate-guide a while ago but it doesn't exist and idk if it's even in the works or not.
I take pictures of road signs, that's about it.

General rule of thumb: Just stay in the "Traffic Control" section of the forum and you'll be fine.

Scott5114

Note that just because something is proposed by local politicians doesn't mean it will get so far as to reach the AASHTO approval stage. Most of the time, it has to be built first, for Interstates at least.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

bob7374

This article about the approval of extending I-555 in Jonesboro AR appeared last week:
https://katv.com/newsletter-daily/highway-63-in-jonesboro-re-designated-as-i-555

Given that the article indicates AASHTO approval, perhaps this means the USRN Committee has met recently, and perhaps results will be posted in the not too distant future.

WashuOtaku

Quote from: bob7374 on November 29, 2021, 10:57:48 PM
This article about the approval of extending I-555 in Jonesboro AR appeared last week:
https://katv.com/newsletter-daily/highway-63-in-jonesboro-re-designated-as-i-555

Given that the article indicates AASHTO approval, perhaps this means the USRN Committee has met recently, and perhaps results will be posted in the not too distant future.

AASHTO Annual Meeting was on October 26-29, 2021 in San Diego, California. We are all just waiting for someone from AASHTO or some other organization to post the meeting minutes.

mvak36

I was looking through the old AASHTO meeting minutes and it looks like this particular one was approved back in Spring 2016. Here are the Meeting Minutes and Arkansas' Application.
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

bob7374

Quote from: mvak36 on November 30, 2021, 11:25:08 PM

I was looking through the old AASHTO meeting minutes and it looks like this particular one was approved back in Spring 2016. Here are the Meeting Minutes and Arkansas' Application.
I thought it had been approved already too but went back in the AASHTO minutes only to 2018, not far enough, I guess. A very late breaking news article? Something must have caused the article to be published though, either FHWA approved the request 5 years later or Arkansas finally is getting around to signing it. In any case, the agenda for the Fall 2021 AASHTO Meeting did not include any mention of a meeting by the the USRN. So they may have not met since the spring, guess we'll find out eventually.  :-/

mvak36

Quote from: bob7374 on December 01, 2021, 12:07:57 AM

I thought it had been approved already too but went back in the AASHTO minutes only to 2018, not far enough, I guess. A very late breaking news article? Something must have caused the article to be published though, either FHWA approved the request 5 years later or Arkansas finally is getting around to signing it. In any case, the agenda for the Fall 2021 AASHTO Meeting did not include any mention of a meeting by the the USRN. So they may have not met since the spring, guess we'll find out eventually.  :-/

Yeah. I have been checking at least once a week hoping to see something but I am wondering if they had any meeting this time. Along with the agenda thing you mentioned, they haven't updated their homepage. It still says the next meeting is Spring 2021.

rschen7754

Quote from: mvak36 on December 01, 2021, 02:29:09 PM
Quote from: bob7374 on December 01, 2021, 12:07:57 AM

Yeah. I have been checking at least once a week hoping to see something but I am wondering if they had any meeting this time. Along with the agenda thing you mentioned, they haven't updated their homepage. It still says the next meeting is Spring 2021.

People misname files all the time, however the Spring 2021 applications link is https://route.transportation.org/wp-content/uploads/sites/50/2021/08/USRN-Applications_Compiled_2021.pdf with no mention of Spring or Fall.

mvak36

Quote from: rschen7754 on December 01, 2021, 10:16:33 PM

People misname files all the time, however the Spring 2021 applications link is https://route.transportation.org/wp-content/uploads/sites/50/2021/08/USRN-Applications_Compiled_2021.pdf with no mention of Spring or Fall.

Unless I'm missing something, it says Spring 2021 on the first page itself (right underneath the AASHTO at the top of the page)

This is the letter they have on the homepage: https://route.transportation.org/wp-content/uploads/sites/50/2021/03/Email-BOD-Solicit-US-Routing-Applications-Spring-Meeting-2021.pdf. It hasn't been updated since the Spring.

Bruce

rschen7754

NE2

As always:
AL US 90 realignment (removal of corner cut at Loxley)
DE US 9 Truck (Georgetown) realignment
IA US 151 Business (Cascade) realignment
MO US 54 Business (Lake Ozark) deletion
MO I-44 Business (Lebanon) deletion - application is missing
NC I-42 - application is missing
NC US 264 Alternate partial deletion, replaced by realigned US 264 (approved!)
OK I-240 extension - application is missing
FL USBR 90 realignment (major change between Tallahassee and Palatka)
MD USBR 1
MI USBR 20 realignment (Midland-Bay City)
OH USBR 21 realignment (minor)

All were approved, except that I-42 and I-240 need FHWA concurrence.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Scott5114

What's the typical lag time between AASHTO approval and FHWA concurrence?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

froggie

Depends on if the facility is ready and if the relevant DOT has submitted the proper paperwork to FHWA for review.

AASHTO just gives the route number.  FHWA determines if the facility is up to spec enough to actually add to the system, and has final say-so on if it's added or not.

bob7374

Quote from: froggie on February 14, 2022, 12:01:36 AM
Depends on if the facility is ready and if the relevant DOT has submitted the proper paperwork to FHWA for review.

AASHTO just gives the route number.  FHWA determines if the facility is up to spec enough to actually add to the system, and has final say-so on if it's added or not.
NCDOT already publicized they had gotten federal approval for I-42 on the US 70 Goldsboro Bypass, they have not mentioned the Clayton Bypass as of yet. Don't know whether this means FHWA turned them down or that they haven't gotten around to submitting paperwork for that segment yet.

CNGL-Leudimin

I had already read Oklahoma wanted to make I-240 into a loop. Although I feel the Kickapoo Turnpike is a bit too far out IMO, it should have gone roughly around Hiawassee Road.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Rover_0

Coming in to chime after 7 months, but I did get a reply from AASHTO with PDFs for Spring and Fall of 2021; I'm just not sure how to upload either to directly link here (if the decisions haven't already been posted on AASHTO's site).

EDIT: The new link for AASHTO past meetings are now found here (if it already hasn't been posted).

Some things from last fall:

I-240 in Oklahoma has been conditionally approved for an extension to become a full beltway

I-42 has at least a couple segments conditionally approved

US-301 Alt. in Florida has been approved

I-375 in Michigan has been conditionally eliminated

I-81 realigned, I-481 eliminated in Syracuse NY (conditionally)
Fixing erroneous shields, one at a time...

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.