News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

What is your roadgeek "guilty pleasure(s)"?

Started by index, February 02, 2018, 03:49:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sparker

Driving freeway stretches with lots of roadside businesses & general clutter; I actually prefer US 101 between San Jose and S.F. over I-280 just because there's a lot to see (and it often changes over the course of months!).  Also like that part of 101 from Marin up through Healdsburg for the same reason.  But all-time fave for this particular "guilty pleasure" is CA 99 Bakersfield-Sacramento.  Lots of places to turn off and find things to do/eat/drink -- not the "high plains" monotony of I-5.   

Buck87

I much prefer the "contractor made it exactly (or very close to) geographically correct" Ohio shields over the official Ohio shield which is too generic and blobby IMO.

I also enjoy a lot of other odd and unique signage that doesn't quite follow the standard rules.

VS988

index

Quote from: Buck87 on February 03, 2018, 06:11:00 AM
I much prefer the "contractor made it exactly (or very close to) geographically correct" Ohio shields over the official Ohio shield which is too generic and blobby IMO.
VS988

I'm the opposite of this. I don't like complex or otherwise highly detailed shields. In my opinion, a shield should be simple, if color use only two or three colors, and be distinct or related to other states. I think this can go for symbols or logos in general. (with the exception of things like coats of arms and seals)
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

Milwaukee, WY

-The loud, high-pitched whine from certain types of concrete tining. (Asphalt and longitudinal grooves disappoint me)

-Clearview

-Davit style light poles

-Doghouse signals

iPhone

CtrlAltDel

My least popular view is most likely that I think state names in Interstate shields are unnecessary clutter and should never be included.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

wriddle082

REFLECTORS!!!

And the sequences by which different DOTs choose to place them.

For example, of the states I've been to, FL, GA, IL, MA, NV, and VA, for the most part, use two reflectors on each outer edge of a double yellow center line.  Most of the other states I've been to place one reflector in between the lines.

And the farthest south I've seen the snowplowable reflectors (with the metal casings imbedded in the pavement) used would have to be NC, TN, and AR.  States south of those tend to use regular raised reflectors.

Can anybody else report about reflector placement sequences?

adventurernumber1

Quote from: Milwaukee, WY on February 03, 2018, 08:24:24 AM

-The loud, high-pitched whine from certain types of concrete tining. (Asphalt and longitudinal grooves disappoint me)

I absolutely love all of the sounds of pavement that are made while driving on it, and that includes the amazing sounds of driving on concrete interstates at high speeds (including the loud, high-pitched sounds).

:bigass:  :colorful:

As a young kid, when walking through grocery stores and such, I would pretend I was driving on roads, and I would either make "clunkety-clunk" or loud, high-pitched sounds while "driving on concrete roads." Especially with the latter, people who walked by me surely thought I was a little strange.  :rofl:  :rofl:
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: wriddle082 on February 03, 2018, 05:17:15 PM
REFLECTORS!!!

[...]

And being from a state that doesn't use reflectors, I think they're a waste of time, money, and materials. Road "paint" (in quotes because of whether it's paint, thermoplastic, or etc) is all that's necessary.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Takumi on February 02, 2018, 08:13:12 PM
Telling people that Virginia isn’t really as bad as some people make it out to be.

Yes.  Thank you. 

I'm sure many people that freak out about overzealous cops if you're going 80 or over never actually go 80 or over. 

In my experiences on their highways, people drive there just like any other state, and the cops patrol the highways just like any other state.  And by that, I mean you may pass a few cops while you're on the roads.  You're not going to see hundreds of them.  Oh, and when someone is pulled over, don't assume they're pulled over for going over 80.  Maybe they simply had car trouble and the cop is assisting them!

US 89

Quote from: adventurernumber1 on February 03, 2018, 05:23:19 PM

I absolutely love all of the sounds of pavement that are made while driving on it, and that includes the amazing sounds of driving on concrete interstates at high speeds (including the loud, high-pitched sounds).

I really like when pavement changes from asphalt to concrete, or from any pavement to transverse-grooved concrete.

adventurernumber1

Quote from: roadguy2 on February 03, 2018, 08:07:19 PM

I really like when pavement changes from asphalt to concrete, or from any pavement to transverse-grooved concrete.

That is quite cool as well! It is a very neat sound and feeling whenever that happens.  :nod:
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

Brandon

Reading (and being mildly entertained by) Timworld threads.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

wriddle082

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on February 03, 2018, 07:04:24 PM
REFLECTORS!!!

[...]

And being from a state that doesn't use reflectors, I think they're a waste of time, money, and materials. Road "paint" (in quotes because of whether it's paint, thermoplastic, or etc) is all that's necessary.

Since I do a LOT of night driving, and don't always have the luxury of choosing whether or not I do this driving on wet roads, I can say, without a shadow of a doubt, reflectors help tremendously!

Many years ago (like "˜89 or "˜90 I think) my dad and I were driving to NC for Thanksgiving.  Hit the Smokies stretch of I-40 at night in the rain.  Literally could not see the road markings in TN, which at the time was only seldomly using reflectors and had not used them there (TDOT started installing them on all interstates a few years later).  Then we crossed into NC, the reflectors began, and we felt much safer knowing we wouldn't run off the road.

But yeah, MN and IA don't have a desperate need for them.  Little to no curves, few hills, probably overall less traffic than the South in general.  Yeah I can see where you would think they don't help up there.

jwolfer

Quote from: wriddle082 on February 03, 2018, 11:11:21 PM
Quote from: MNHighwayMan on February 03, 2018, 07:04:24 PM
REFLECTORS!!!

[...]

Since I do a LOT of night driving, and don't always have the luxury of choosing whether or not I do this driving on wet roads, I can say, without a shadow of a doubt, reflectors help tremendously!

Many years ago (like "˜89 or "˜90 I think) my dad and I were driving to NC for Thanksgiving.  Hit the Smokies stretch of I-40 at night in the rain.  Literally could not see the road markings in TN, which at the time was only seldomly using reflectors and had not used them there (TDOT started installing them on all interstates a few years later).  Then we crossed into NC, the reflectors began, and we felt much safer knowing we wouldn't run off the road.

But yeah, MN and IA don't have a desperate need for them.  Little to no curves, few hills, probably overall less traffic than the South in general.  Yeah I can see where you would think they don't help up there.
I live in Florida and reflectors are on ALL state highways even in urban areas... Most counties use them on main roads... I find them helpful on dark roads, in the rain, and when power is out.  At night they give some advance warning of curves and changes in elevation.

When going the wrong way on a multilane highway, the reflectors are red. So you know you are going the wrong way. Helps stop some wrong way collisions I am sure

Also they serve as pseudo rumble strips and lane reminders.

I really love the reflectors

Z981

OracleUsr

The Black on Yellow LEFT banner
Inkscaping Clearview signs taking out the Clearview
Reading weirdly designed gore signs by reading them as I see them. Case in point, where the EXIT on a gore sign is much higher than the number, I read the number in a low-pitched voice.
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

hbelkins

Quote from: jeffandnicole on February 03, 2018, 07:23:50 PM
Quote from: Takumi on February 02, 2018, 08:13:12 PM
Telling people that Virginia isn't really as bad as some people make it out to be.

Yes.  Thank you. 

I'm sure many people that freak out about overzealous cops if you're going 80 or over never actually go 80 or over. 

In my experiences on their highways, people drive there just like any other state, and the cops patrol the highways just like any other state.  And by that, I mean you may pass a few cops while you're on the roads.  You're not going to see hundreds of them.  Oh, and when someone is pulled over, don't assume they're pulled over for going over 80.  Maybe they simply had car trouble and the cop is assisting them!

Virginia's problem is that you do not have the ability to defend yourself against random taxation (as SP Cook calls it.) And it's more bothersome in little towns where the speed limit drops to 35 but you can still safely drive 55, vs. interstates where it's easy to exceed 80 mph.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

wanderer2575

Eating large quantities of cheap fast food while on the road (hello, Taco Bell!).

Just driving aimlessly.

Takumi

Quote from: hbelkins
And it's more bothersome in little towns where the speed limit drops to 35 but you can still safely drive 55, vs. interstates where it's easy to exceed 80 mph.
Show me a state east of the Mississippi where this doesn't happen.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

briantroutman

The answers here are all over the map.

A guilty pleasure is generally defined as something that you occasionally indulge in but would be embarrassed to admit liking because that thing either has no intrinsic value or is terribly unpopular (or both). Watching reruns of CHiPs, for example, would be a guilty pleasure: It's a poorly written, laughably acted show with no redeeming value (and you realize this), but you like to watch all of the car chases like a ten-year-old.

So what's a "roadgeek guilty pleasure" ? Something that you like about roadgeeking that's unpopular with other roadgeeks:

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on February 03, 2018, 04:38:48 PM
My least popular view is most likely that I think state names in Interstate shields are unnecessary clutter and should never be included.

Or something roadgeeking enables you to do that's bad for you:

Quote from: wanderer2575 on February 04, 2018, 06:20:36 PM
Eating large quantities of cheap fast food while on the road (hello, Taco Bell!).

Or something that you enjoy as a roadgeek that non-roadgeeks wouldn't understand:

But then again, if it's the latter, wouldn't that include basically ALL aspects of roadgeekdom?

OracleUsr

Using Google Maps to look for new signage in other areas.  Probably only a third of which in areas I have actually visited.
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

US71

I like old bridges, old alignments, old signs. Before a trip, I often check my route using on-line mapping to look for old roads. 2-3 years ago, I found a section of the old Bankhead Highway east of Tupelo, MS.  Sometimes, I just go and let the old roads find me.

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

hbelkins

Quote from: Takumi on February 04, 2018, 06:54:00 PM
And it's more bothersome in little towns where the speed limit drops to 35 but you can still safely drive 55, vs. interstates where it's easy to exceed 80 mph.

Show me another state east of the Mississippi that bans radar detectors.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Takumi

Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

US71

Quote from: hbelkins on February 05, 2018, 11:23:40 AM

Virginia seems to be the only one (and DC). Most other states allow in private vehicles, but not commercial vehicles.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

roadman

Quote from: US71 on February 05, 2018, 11:48:51 AM
Quote from: hbelkins on February 05, 2018, 11:23:40 AM
Show me a state east of the Mississippi where this doesn’t happen.

Virginia seems to be the only one (and DC). Most other states allow in private vehicles, but not commercial vehicles.
Radar detector ban in commercial vehicles is a Federal mandate, and not up to individual states.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.