News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Local/regional fast food chains you wish were nationwide?

Started by planxtymcgillicuddy, November 06, 2019, 06:26:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DandyDan

The single best part of having previously lived in Omaha was the fact I could go to Runza and have a runza. Plus their fries are awesome. I believe they have exactly 3 restaurants outside Nebraska and one of those is in Council Bluffs, which shouldn't count.

For lesser known Nebraska based restaurants, there's Don and Millie's, which is a fast food burger shop which also serves beer.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

hbelkins

I've only been in In-n-Out territory once in my life, and there were none near where I was, so I didn't get to try the burger that everyone speaks so highly of. But in retrospect, I'm not sure I missed anything. The appeal of them appears to be some proprietary sauce that I probably wouldn't like anyway. I checked out their menu online and determined that it really wasn't a big deal if I never get to sample them.

Of course, I've pined for Sheetz for years, but I can't really think of anything else that I've heard of out there that I'd love to see here with the possible exception of Roy Rogers or Braum's. I've still never had Tim Horton's, even though there's one a couple of hours from me in an area that I've passed through frequently. Did Whataburger once and was totally unimpressed. (The burger was dry, smaller than I expected, and didn't even come with cheese on it.) Royal Farms' chicken was OK, but I don't get the hype.

We have Cook Out in this area now, and I'm a fan. Zaxby's and Cane's are both in the region. So, too, are both Cincinnati chili places (Skyline recently opened in Lexington; prior to that, the nearest one was in Williamstown, and they have a presence in Louisville but I don't think Gold Star does.). Steak n Shake and Freddy's are both in Lexington (Freddy's is much better) and S n S is opening locations here as quickly as they are closing elsewhere. Culver's has been around here for more than 20 years and I'm convinced it's better than Five Guys, and definitely cheaper. White Castle and Krystal are here, too, if you get a craving for intestinal hand grenades.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: kphoger on November 07, 2019, 12:46:49 PM
Quote from: dlsterner on November 06, 2019, 11:20:56 PM
Smashburger
Oooooohhh!  Yeah!  Although I'd personally settle for it just coming back to Wichita.  They closed down a while ago.

I've had Smashburger, and didn't think it was anything special.

QuoteMy top pick would be Steak 'n Shake.

Apparently, the parent company of Steak 'n Shake is having some financial difficulty. The one that's supposed to open in the Des Moines metro has been delayed by several months due to that.

Quote from: kphoger on November 07, 2019, 01:48:50 PM
Quote from: LM117 on November 06, 2019, 06:42:58 PM
White Castle.
That would be nice.  Although, it's been so long since I've been to one (more than 13 years), it's entirely possible my tastes have changed since then and I wouldn't like it now.  But yeah, considering the chain started here in Wichita, it would be nice to have one within 300 miles...

Yes! I once went to a White Castle in Minnesota (I believe it was the one in Forest Lake) and they gave me a survey to fill out. One of the questions was "what would get you to go to White Castle more often?" and my answer was "open one in Des Moines!" There are none in Iowa, so far as I'm aware.

Revive 755

Quote from: DandyDan on November 09, 2019, 07:14:13 AM
The single best part of having previously lived in Omaha was the fact I could go to Runza and have a runza. Plus their fries are awesome. I believe they have exactly 3 restaurants outside Nebraska and one of those is in Council Bluffs, which shouldn't count.

They have four:

* Council Bluffs, IA (as mentioned)
* Clarion, IA
* Lawrence, KS
* Loveland, CO

There used to be one in Shawnee Mission, KS, and I thought there used to be a second one in Colorado.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: kphoger on November 07, 2019, 12:46:49 PM
Apparently, the parent company of Steak 'n Shake is having some financial difficulty. The one that's supposed to open in the Des Moines metro has been delayed by several months due to that.

How did you come to that conclusion? The article never said anything about financial difficulties. The location is owned by a franchisee.  And it's so common for projects to be delayed for so many reasons that it could be something minor like obtaining road permits from the county or state, or unexpected ground containments that need to be rectified.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 09, 2019, 11:15:59 PM
Quote from: MNHighwayMan on November 09, 2019, 10:18:45 PM
How did you come to that conclusion? The article never said anything about financial difficulties. The location is owned by a franchisee.  And it's so common for projects to be delayed for so many reasons that it could be something minor like obtaining road permits from the county or state, or unexpected ground containments that need to be rectified.

It was in a different article I read, and I assumed that had something to do with the delay. Sorry that wasn't clear. (And maybe my assumption is wrong, but it seems reasonable to me.)

(Also fixed the quote author.)

dvferyance

Quote from: webny99 on November 08, 2019, 11:51:33 AM
Culver's is another great suggestion. They're a quality, afforable Midwestern version of everything that makes a good burger chain.
Culver's is more than the Midwest but still not national. It stinks when I am travelling having to settle for McDonald's. I don't see many Culver's outside Wisconsin and Illinois.

mgk920

A few years ago I would have said 'Culvers', but I do note they are moving that way now.

I'm wondering how long it will be before we start seeing Waffle Houses here in the upper Great Lakes and high plains areas.

Much more locally, 'Tom's Drive-Ins' here in the Appleton, WI area are a nice treat and should start spreading out, perhaps to Green Bay, Oshkosh, Fond du Lac, WI and then....

:cool:

Mike

Big John

Quote from: mgk920 on November 10, 2019, 12:24:28 PM

Much more locally, 'Tom's Drive-Ins' here in the Appleton, WI area are a nice treat and should start spreading out, perhaps to Green Bay, Oshkosh, Fond du Lac, WI and then....

:cool:

Mike
There was a Tom's in Howard near Meiger is now, but is closed

ftballfan

A few years ago I would have said 'Culvers', but I do note they are moving that way now.

I'm wondering how long it will be before we start seeing Waffle Houses here in the upper Great Lakes and high plains areas.

There aren't any Waffle Houses in Michigan, but there are several in Toledo (which borders Michigan) and some in Indiana. Also, most sizable communities on I-75 between Toledo and Dayton have Waffle House (Bowling Green, Findlay, Lima, Wapakoneta, Sidney, Piqua, Troy/Tipp City). In parts of the south, there are some exits with two Waffle Houses

Flint1979

Quote from: ftballfan on November 11, 2019, 10:26:58 AM

There aren't any Waffle Houses in Michigan, but there are several in Toledo (which borders Michigan) and some in Indiana. Also, most sizable communities on I-75 between Toledo and Dayton have Waffle House (Bowling Green, Findlay, Lima, Wapakoneta, Sidney, Piqua, Troy/Tipp City). In parts of the south, there are some exits with two Waffle Houses
I was just in a brand new Waffle House in the Toledo area. It's at the same exit that US-23 heads south (actually east) after it's wrong way concurrency with I-75. I was talking to the server about how this is one of the most northern waffle house's and said they are all along I-75 between here and Florida especially in Georgia.

DandyDan

Quote from: Revive 755 on November 09, 2019, 11:06:02 PM
Quote from: DandyDan on November 09, 2019, 07:14:13 AM

They have four:

* Council Bluffs, IA (as mentioned)
* Clarion, IA
* Lawrence, KS
* Loveland, CO

There used to be one in Shawnee Mission, KS, and I thought there used to be a second one in Colorado.
You mixed up Clarinda, Iowa with Clarion. If they had one in Clarion, I'd drive the hour or so it takes to get there from here.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: DandyDan on November 12, 2019, 06:43:26 AM
You mixed up Clarinda, Iowa with Clarion.

I know this is unrelated to the thread topic, but I mix those two cities up all the time.

Mark68

Quote from: doorknob60 on November 07, 2019, 05:36:53 PM
In-N-Out: No explanation needed. Good, consistent food for a great price. Don't overhype it and expect it to compare with a $15 burger, but for the price it's hard to beat.

Culver's: Honestly not sure if I like Culver's or In-N-Out more, both are great. Culver's does have a location near me now, but just barely.

Dunkin: Hear me out. I know they act like a national brand. But they don't have any locations in the Northwest (Idaho, Washington, Oregon, probably others). And I like them way better than Starbucks and Tim Horton's. Would be towards the top of my fast food breakfast choices (along with McDonalds and a local bagel shop) if they opened here.

Super Deluxe: Only 2 locations, in Portland, and I've only been there once. But I'd describe them as similar to In-N-Out, and I could see them expanding some around Oregon and beyond and doing well.

Dick's: Pretty much the same thing I said above, except in the Seattle area and they've been around a lot longer.

Have not had the opportunity to try Whataburger, Shake Shack, or a lot of the other popular regional chains yet, though. Burgerville is a regional chain worth mentioning and I like it but not quite as good as the ones above IMO.

I'm a SoCal guy, so I do make it to In-N-Out whenever I'm in an area that has one. Cheap, good burgers. The fries can be meh, but the shakes are awesome.

We have Culver's basically down the street from me, and I think they're OK. I like their (crinkle cut) fries, as long as they aren't undercooked (or too salty).

Dunkin' is actually an international brand. They're almost as prolific in Berlin as they are in New England. You can't go to a decently-sized train station (especially the ones that have connections between the U-Bahn & the S-Bahn--one of my favorites was Alexanderplatz) and NOT find a DD.

I don't think I ever ate at a Super Deluxe when I lived in Portland. I did eat at Burgerville. Frequently. Their burgers are delicious and their use of locally sourced food and recycled material was an added bonus.

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."~Yogi Berra

mgk920

Quote from: ftballfan on November 11, 2019, 10:26:58 AM

The last that I checked, there are also a couple of WHs in Illinois, but that are all in the suburban Saint Louis area.

Mike

roadman65

In and Out and Whataburger need to be.  Bojangles as well, although they were in Central Florida but some executive made an executive decision to leave the market south of Ocala.

Jack In the Box again.  They very well can being it was almost 40 years they left the east coast,  I am sure they can do better the second time around as a lot of people changed over the years.  People of yesterday are not the same as today.  I am sure Florida and other I-95 states would appreciate them very much.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Brandon

^^ Um, Jack in the Box is also a Metro St Louis staple.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

kevinb1994

Culver's is in the process of expanding here, with plans for a second area location at Collins Road and Parramore Road (near a Costco with a gas station), which is near the notable interchange on the 295 West Beltway. Appropriately enough, this location will be part of a development called Collins Town Center. There is already a location over in Middleburg off of the still-newish First Coast Expressway (SR 23), but that location pretty much serves the OakLeaf Plantation development as well.

formulanone

I wouldn't mind seeing a few more Portillo's, although I've visited their "satellite" locations Tampa and Scottsdale.

Brandon

Quote from: formulanone on November 14, 2019, 05:56:57 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing a few more Portillo's, although I've visited their "satellite" locations Tampa and Scottsdale.

I went to one of them in Brandon, Florida (Tampa).  It was a bit odd as I spent a minute looking for the entry.  The reason being that Chicagoland/Illinois Portillo's always have a revolving door through which one enters  The one in Brandon, Florida did not.  I kept looking for it before I realized one is supposed to enter through the "normal" doors.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

ErmineNotyours

Quote from: roadman65 on November 13, 2019, 09:28:43 PM

Jack In the Box again.  They very well can being it was almost 40 years they left the east coast,  I am sure they can do better the second time around as a lot of people changed over the years.  People of yesterday are not the same as today.  I am sure Florida and other I-95 states would appreciate them very much.

Jack In the Box has really gone downhill lately.  They are frequently understaffed, and they get my order wrong.  They have a large variety of items, and they're frequently out of what I want.  I started going again because they have Coke Freestyle machines, so I can have a soda after 5pm without sugar or caffeine and still get to sleep, but twice I went to the machines and they were out of diet anything.  The second time is entirely on me because after the first time I should have checked before ordering.  They still have a policy of "We don't make it until you order it," but the food doesn't seem as fresh as it used to.  It seems like they're contracting in the face of other chains coming in, rather than expanding.

Rothman

I liked Jack in the Box fries back in the late '90s (post their e coli scandal).  But, I haven't been impressed on more recent visits.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kevinb1994

Jack in the Box didn't satisfy when I was staying in Charlotte NC on the way to the Pittsburgh Road Meet back in early-mid August. Had to eat at another area restaurant (was Chick-Fil-A despite the line I think). Bojangles, which has (a) location(s) here, isn't that bad, but still, i've had better.

planxtymcgillicuddy

Bumping the thread to nominate the Come Back Shack.......For a burger joint, they really knock it out of the park, but only has three locations, two in the Charleston, SC area and one in Boone, NC near Appalachian State. For fast food options, I'd nominate Pal's Sudden Service
It's easy to be easy when you're easy...

Quote from: on_wisconsin on November 27, 2021, 02:39:12 PM
Whats a Limon, and does it go well with gin?

westerninterloper

Chains Nationwide:
Tony Packo's Cafe https://www.tonypacko.com/: local Toledo East European kitchen, with cabbage rolls, Hungarian hotdogs, dumplings, pickles.
Blake's Lotaburger https://www.lotaburger.com/: Albuquerque-based chain I know from Gallup - superb breakfast burritos
Also agree with Culver's - they're expanding to Toledo - makes me very happy.

Overestimated Chains:
Tim Horton's - quality has declined. Baked goods are largely parbaked, gummy, taste stale to me.
Waffle House - good quality, appreciate the simplicity, good when traveling; but I usually find a better local place for breakfast
In-n-Out - good burgers, but like others said, the rest is average
Nostalgia: Indiana's State Religion

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.