News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Unpopular opinions (non road related)

Started by Roadgeekteen, March 30, 2021, 09:59:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoePCool14

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 65+ Clinches | 280+ Traveled | 8800+ Miles Logged

interstatefan990

Quote from: kphoger on April 08, 2021, 11:28:17 AM
Here are two from just a minute ago, for comparison:

[image]
[image]

Wow. I don't know what I expected you to look like, but it wasn't this. (Not in a bad way, though.)  :wave:

Quote from: JoePCool14 on April 08, 2021, 04:06:48 PM
Verdana sucks.

Calibri sucks. It is grossly overused.
Multi-lane roundabouts are an abomination to mankind.

kphoger

Quote from: kphoger on July 20, 2013, 11:32:45 PM
You look nothing like what I expected, Jonathan.

Quote from: interstatefan990 on April 08, 2021, 05:51:20 PM
Wow. I don't know what I expected you to look like, but it wasn't this. (Not in a bad way, though.)  :wave:

This seems to be a theme with me.

↓ That's me in the green T-shirt ↓

[Thanks, |route56|]
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Takumi

Quote from: webny99 on April 07, 2021, 11:25:38 AM
Quote from: kphoger on April 07, 2021, 11:14:30 AM
Fat people like cold weather.  Skinny people like hot weather.

No disagreement from me there, although there are other ways to slice the pie, too:

Young people like cold weather. Old people like hot weather.
Men like cold weather. Women like hot weather.
I'll throw a wrench into this one. I'm a fat young man and I like hot weather.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Takumi on April 08, 2021, 07:32:05 PM
Quote from: webny99 on April 07, 2021, 11:25:38 AM

No disagreement from me there, although there are other ways to slice the pie, too:

Young people like cold weather. Old people like hot weather.
Men like cold weather. Women like hot weather.
I'll throw a wrench into this one. I'm a fat young man and I like hot weather.

And I'll throw another wrench, I'm thin and prefer cold weather.

kernals12

I'm a thin young man and I prefer warm weather

Another unpopular opinion: Clapping sucks. When I watched the inauguration, I was pleased by the absence of pausing for applause. It's probably why Biden was sworn in 10 minutes early.

interstatefan990

Quote from: kernals12 on April 08, 2021, 08:22:08 PM
It's probably why Biden was sworn in 10 minutes early.

The thing is, he didn't actually become president until 12 noon. So after his swearing in, I saw a lot of people saying "we have a new president now" and "DJT is no longer in office", but what they didn't realize is that Biden wasn't going to officially become president for another 10 minutes.

US71

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 08, 2021, 07:47:26 PM

And I'll throw another wrench, I'm thin and prefer cold weather.

I don't like cold weather, but I will tolerate it.  I'm not crazy about 90 with 60 percent humidity, either, but I will tolerate it.

Early to mid-Spring is my favorite weather.

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Scott5114

Another unpopular opinion: Clapping sucks. When I watched the inauguration, I was pleased by the absence of pausing for applause. It's probably why Biden was sworn in 10 minutes early.

Yeah, that is one thing that annoys me a lot about political speeches. The State of the Union is the absolute worst when it comes to that. I kind of want to become president just to see if I can get Congress to applaud lines like "I ate toast for breakfast this morning".

Quote from: interstatefan990 on April 08, 2021, 09:19:20 PM
It's probably why Biden was sworn in 10 minutes early.

The thing is, he didn't actually become president until 12 noon. So after his swearing in, I saw a lot of people saying "we have a new president now" and "DJT is no longer in office", but what they didn't realize is that Biden wasn't going to officially become president for another 10 minutes.

In practical terms, it didn't really matter, since President Trump had left Washington earlier that morning and was either already in Florida or on the way there during that ten-minute window. If there had been anything pressing that happened that needed the immediate attention of the President, it probably would have fallen to Vice President Pence (who was still in Washington) to handle, or they would have just stalled for a few minutes so that President Biden's authority to handle it was unquestionable.

In any event, unless it was something like a nuclear bomb launch, it would have taken enough time for the outgoing administration's orders to be communicated and implemented that nothing would have gotten done until after noon, meaning it would have been kind of silly to try, especially if it was something that the incoming administration would want to belay.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kernals12

I wish someone could invent a pill that eliminated the need for sleep. Just imagine what you'd do if you had an extra 8 hours in a day.

Scott5114

Just imagine how employers would exploit that...

Max Rockatansky

I don't know I get bored enough already as is, it would be way worse with an extra 6-6.5 hours to laze around conscious. 

interstatefan990

Quote from: kernals12 on April 08, 2021, 09:43:07 PM
I wish someone could invent a pill that eliminated the need for sleep. Just imagine what you'd do if you had an extra 8 hours in a day.

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 08, 2021, 09:46:57 PM

"Let's put a smile on those faces everyone, and don't forget to take your Sleep-Pill® before you clock in!"

Corporations are greedy enough. No thank you. In fact, I like sleeping. It's a hobby!

TheHighwayMan3561

I did read some (non-medical) article where if you really, really want to put yourself through the hell of adapting to this lifestyle, you can basically force your body to have to adapt to just getting the necessary REM sleep for survival, and thus pick up 5-6 extra hours that way.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

webny99

New York has the best State Parks, and it's not even close.

Scott5114

Quote from: webny99 on April 08, 2021, 11:05:37 PM

I've heard there's a nice one in Orleans County!

Max Rockatansky

Yet the NPS presence in New York is pretty minimal:

https://www.nps.gov/state/ny/index.htm

Alps

:popcorn:
i like moderate weather

kkt

I'd spend them all wishing I could get a good night's sleep again.

kurumi

I haven't been to any NY state parks, but if they leave Utah's in the dust, they must be pretty spectacular.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

kkt

Quote from: kurumi on April 09, 2021, 12:56:25 AM

I haven't been to any NY state parks, but if they leave Utah's in the dust, they must be pretty spectacular.

California does really well too.

interstatefan990

1995hoo

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 08, 2021, 09:46:57 PM

Don't forget, kernals12 thinks technology is reducing, or will reduce, the number of hours people have to work.   :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: webny99 on April 07, 2021, 12:00:03 PM
Quote from: kphoger on April 07, 2021, 11:35:30 AM
Quote from: kernals12 on April 07, 2021, 11:31:10 AM
Quote from: webny99 on April 07, 2021, 10:54:32 AM
Quote from: wanderer2575 on April 07, 2021, 10:22:00 AM
The whole back and forth comes down to this:  The one who is cold can put something on.  The one who is hot can take something off. 
The first part is true, but the second part is only true to a certain extent, which is one reason why many people (myself included) would rather be too cold than too hot.
That's only practical to a certain extent. Eventually you'll be wearing so many layers that you can't move.
That's especially true of one's fingers and toes.  If I have to wear gloves thick enough to render my fingers functionally useless, then that mindset has failed me.  Likewise, if I'm wearing two pairs of socks and my toes are still so cold they hurt.

However, with gloves that thick, are your fingers actually still cold? I would suspect not.

And if your toes are still cold with two pairs of socks, you could wear a different type of shoe that is better at keeping the cold and/or moisture out. My toes have never gotten cold while wearing work boots, for example.

Quote from: kphoger on April 07, 2021, 11:35:30 AM
Unpopular opinion:  It should be both legal and socially acceptable for people to walk around naked.

If by this you mean in public, then yes, that is unpopular. Or at least, perceived as unpopular to such an extent that even if people actually agree, they wouldn't be free to say so.

300 lb man says 'hold my beer'.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

webny99

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 08, 2021, 11:15:55 PM

I've heard there's a nice one in Orleans County!

The rest are so great that NY wins even without all the great ones in Orleans County.  :-P

Quote from: kurumi on April 09, 2021, 12:56:25 AM

Dust isn't much of a thing out here, so I won't guarantee that... but there are some good ones, including one that I've mentioned as being Utah-esque:
Quote from: webny99 on December 16, 2020, 03:07:23 PM
As for a great lakeshore park with no official beach, it's Chimney Bluffs (in Wayne County). The scenery is Utah-esque at points, and with the lake in the background...

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.