News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

South Carolina

Started by wriddle082, January 30, 2011, 07:53:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fillup420

Quote from: ccurley100 on December 18, 2023, 07:50:02 AM
Is there any reason why I-85 is still only 60 or 65mph between Greenville and the Georgia state line other than a revenue generator from speeding tickets?

I lived in Charleston for a year (2018). I frequently drove I-26, 85 and 385 between Greenville/Spartanburg and Charleston. I don't think i ever saw a cop running radar anywhere. Traffic routinely moved at ~80mph.

ccurley100

I don't know how harshly they are enforced although I saw a few cops.  That wasn't the question. I just wanted to know if there was a specific reason why they were so low.  I'm hoping that it will be 70 between Spartanburg and the NC line once all the construction is done.  I-77 in York County is annoying too.  60 mph when it's 8 lanes wide and then goes to 70 when its only 4. 

US 89

The construction on 85 north of Spartanburg is still there? I suppose I shouldn't be surprised, but I last drove that segment over two years ago and spent probably an hour getting through that construction.

There is also a big construction project on I-26 north of Columbia. Lost probably 45 minutes of my life in the traffic associated with it on Saturday. I don't want to get my hopes up, but it looks like they'll be extending the Columbia 6-lane a bit further north when all is said and done there.

wriddle082

Quote from: US 89 on December 19, 2023, 08:24:00 AM
The construction on 85 north of Spartanburg is still there? I suppose I shouldn't be surprised, but I last drove that segment over two years ago and spent probably an hour getting through that construction.

There is also a big construction project on I-26 north of Columbia. Lost probably 45 minutes of my life in the traffic associated with it on Saturday. I don't want to get my hopes up, but it looks like they'll be extending the Columbia 6-lane a bit further north when all is said and done there.

The next I-26 widening project to start will be southeast of Columbia, from Old Sandy Run Rd to SC 6.  This will widen the most "treacherous" stretch, if you will, of I-26 between Columbia and Charleston.  It has a couple of longish uphill sections in the vicinity of the US 21 exit that seem to slow down the heavy truck traffic on a regular basis.  Hopefully the longer uphill sections get four lanes in the uphill direction to help with this.  They will also be converting the US 21 interchange from a rather unnecessary folded diamond to a regular diamond.

They are also currently widening I-26 NW of Charleston between SC 27 and the current end of the six-lane at Jedburg Rd, which takes it past the Volvo exit.  Hopefully they focus more on the Columbia-Orangeburg end soon.  I'd say the more critical need is between I-77 and I-95 (and the I-95 interchange) rather than southeast of I-95.  But this flat stretch NW of Charleston is probably cheaper to work on right now, and it does contain a set of bridges over a tributary of the Ashley River that don't have shoulders and are probably structurally deficient.

The Ghostbuster

When will future Exit 81 (Paragon Way) on Interstate 77 open? And will the new football stadium that will be served by that new interchange open anytime soon? What will become of Bank of America Stadium if/when the Carolina Panthers vacate the stadium?

wriddle082

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on December 19, 2023, 02:00:46 PM
When will future Exit 81 (Paragon Way) on Interstate 77 open? And will the new football stadium that will be served by that new interchange open anytime soon? What will become of Bank of America Stadium if/when the Carolina Panthers vacate the stadium?

The new roadway is now called Palmetto Pkwy, and it was a Panthers practice facility that WAS being built, until Panthers owner David Tepper pulled out due to lack of matching funds from the City of Rock Hill, which he was promised.  He has recently demo'ed everything that he had built so far, and I assume he's going to put the property up for sale.  Otherwise the new exit will amply serve the existing industrial park, and I assume it will relieve Exit 82 A-B-C a little bit.

D-Dey65

Quote from: US 89 on December 19, 2023, 08:24:00 AM
I started looking at the GSV coverage of that construction after reading about some exits that were closed in the Wikipedia article. I found out that the old Clinchfield Railroad bridge and the rickety railroad bridge near Blacksburg were replaced. The one near Blacksburg had a lower clearance than the replacement, but it's not that big of a deal.

cowboy_wilhelm

I'd hate to know what was spent to replace that bridge for an abandoned railroad line. Seems like they could have just nixed the replacement altogether and built the bridge if/when the line was reactivated (it won't be).

D-Dey65

Quote from: cowboy_wilhelm on December 27, 2023, 04:32:22 PM
I'd hate to know what was spent to replace that bridge for an abandoned railroad line. Seems like they could have just nixed the replacement altogether and built the bridge if/when the line was reactivated (it won't be).
You're talking about the one in Blacksburg, right?

UPDATE; January 2, 2024: I'm starting to think this might be for a future rail-trail project.

PColumbus73

See here for information for potential RIDE 4 projects in Horry County:

https://www.horrycountysc.gov/ride-4/

The RIDE program is an Horry County sales tax that is used to fund road constructions projects within the county. Previous iterations of RIDE funded roads like SC 22 and 31. RIDE 4 would be on the ballot this year and would go into effect in 2025.

The big ticket items for RIDE 4 are:

Project N: SC 22 extension from US 501 to the Surfside Beach / Murrells Inlet area of Horry County. This has been talked about for several years, originally proposed as a toll road (the Southern Evacuation Lifeline... SELL).

Project T: Local matching funds for I-73

Other projects include a new interchange along SC 31, a new bridge across the Waccamaw River near Conway, widening SC 90 and parts of US 701

PColumbus73

Construction is ongoing at the US 17 Waccamaw Bridge in Georgetown, SC

Portable VMS are up advising no wide loads between Feb 4 and Mar 31. There will be lane shifts as they work on the bridge.

Strider

Quote from: PColumbus73 on January 23, 2024, 08:41:28 PM
See here for information for potential RIDE 4 projects in Horry County:

https://www.horrycountysc.gov/ride-4/

The RIDE program is an Horry County sales tax that is used to fund road constructions projects within the county. Previous iterations of RIDE funded roads like SC 22 and 31. RIDE 4 would be on the ballot this year and would go into effect in 2025.

The big ticket items for RIDE 4 are:

Project N: SC 22 extension from US 501 to the Surfside Beach / Murrells Inlet area of Horry County. This has been talked about for several years, originally proposed as a toll road (the Southern Evacuation Lifeline... SELL).

Project T: Local matching funds for I-73

Other projects include a new interchange along SC 31, a new bridge across the Waccamaw River near Conway, widening SC 90 and parts of US 701

Seems like Columbia has other priorities, so the best bet for Horry County to build I-73 from SC 22 to the county line is to build it as a four-lane freeway and then upgrade it to Interstate standards later. Just like how SC 22 was built.

sprjus4

Quote from: Strider on January 23, 2024, 09:28:02 PM
Seems like Columbia has other priorities, so the best bet for Horry County to build I-73 from SC 22 to the county line is to build it as a four-lane freeway and then upgrade it to Interstate standards later. Just like how SC 22 was built.
What would be a major difference between building it to freeway standards vs. building to interstate standards? What features would you leave out, and how much money would it truly save?

ARMOURERERIC

And then what do you do at the county line?

wriddle082

If they intend on building an interstate, it needs to be built to interstate standards.  That being said, the existing portion of SC 22 that is slated to become I-73 will need upgraded paved shoulders (the bridges are fine).  And I'm thinking that SCDOT has already performed EIS's for the unbuilt portions of the route east of I-95 years ago, but they may need follow-ups.

As for the Horry/Marion County Line, it is the Little Pee Dee River, which will require multiple bridges over overflow channels mainly on the Marion County side (which will probably be near where SC 917 crosses the river).  I'm sure Marion County has no money to contribute to this, so it'll be up to SCDOT.  And considering their timelines, there will likely be a ghost stub leading right up to the east bank of the Little Pee Dee.

US 89

I have a hard time seeing this ever actually happening. Besides the large price tag, it would have to pass directly through the Waccamaw National Wildlife Refuge.

I-73 was supposed to go to Charleston or Georgetown at one point, but even now those plans have been scuttled for financial and environmental reasons. I see no reason those same issues won't pop back up again for this.

PColumbus73

Quote from: wriddle082 on January 24, 2024, 05:59:27 AM
If they intend on building an interstate, it needs to be built to interstate standards.  That being said, the existing portion of SC 22 that is slated to become I-73 will need upgraded paved shoulders (the bridges are fine).  And I'm thinking that SCDOT has already performed EIS's for the unbuilt portions of the route east of I-95 years ago, but they may need follow-ups.

As for the Horry/Marion County Line, it is the Little Pee Dee River, which will require multiple bridges over overflow channels mainly on the Marion County side (which will probably be near where SC 917 crosses the river).  I'm sure Marion County has no money to contribute to this, so it'll be up to SCDOT.  And considering their timelines, there will likely be a ghost stub leading right up to the east bank of the Little Pee Dee.

It looks like the proposed / preferred route would parallel SC 917 over the Little Pee Dee River. Horry County going it alone would mean a freeway, Interstate-grade or not, dumping traffic onto a two-lane section of SC 917 into Mullins, SC, so for the tourist traffic staying on US 501 would probably remain the favored route. Inside Horry County, there isn't much between SC 22 and 917. Unless there would be an agreement with Marion County to have a stub end at US 76 outside Mullins, I don't think there would be much benefit for Horry County to build just their portion.

PColumbus73

Quote from: US 89 on January 24, 2024, 08:39:47 AM

I have a hard time seeing this ever actually happening. Besides the large price tag, it would have to pass directly through the Waccamaw National Wildlife Refuge.

I-73 was supposed to go to Charleston or Georgetown at one point, but even now those plans have been scuttled for financial and environmental reasons. I see no reason those same issues won't pop back up again for this.

The International Drive extension apart of RIDE 3 was delayed for a couple years because of environmental lawsuits, the extension passed through the Lewis Ocean Bay Heritage Preserve.

As for the SC 22 / SELL highway, if the County is setting aside funding for it, I'm pretty confident it will eventually get built, although I would expect similar delays and cost overruns to International Drive. I can't recall a RIDE project that hasn't been built.

ran4sh

Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

Strider

Quote from: sprjus4 on January 24, 2024, 01:39:24 AM
Quote from: Strider on January 23, 2024, 09:28:02 PM
What would be a major difference between building it to freeway standards vs. building to interstate standards? What features would you leave out, and how much money would it truly save?

I don't know. That is a good question. It probably won't make much difference, however you have to start from somewhere.

rlb2024

How close is the construction on I-85 between Spartanburg and the NC state line to being finished?  I've traveled that route a couple of times a year for the past 5 years and it's always been a mess.  I have another trip coming up in a couple of weeks and am wondering the status . . .

ARMOURERERIC

Quote from: rlb2024 on February 05, 2024, 11:35:51 AM
How close is the construction on I-85 between Spartanburg and the NC state line to being finished?  I've traveled that route a couple of times a year for the past 5 years and it's always been a mess.  I have another trip coming up in a couple of weeks and am wondering the status . . .

I had opportunity to drive this stretch Friday and Saturday...I'll drop a report in about 2 hours.

ARMOURERERIC

So, I was headed from Morganton to Clemson for Carolina Carnage 2024 (check it out, way cool).  I entered 85 SB at exit 96 around 6 AM Friday.  For the first 2 miles or so,, I was still on old pavement and very bumpy..  For most of that trip through the end of the construction zone, the outer lane was half into what will be the new shoulder, the median lane, though still a bit of a cattle chute, was not as tight as it was in mid October.   I also encountered a lot of old pavement SB near the replaced railroad Bridge.  Going NB Saturday  around 7 pm, the 2 outer NB lanes appear to be on their final permanent location, the white dashed line separating the middle lane and the median lane is even in place.  However their were sporadic k rails along the median appears to be wrapping up the median barrier where ramps cut through to exit back during my October trip.  Now, milepost 94 to 96 is still a cluster going north where I exited.

rlb2024

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on February 05, 2024, 06:28:33 PM
So, I was headed from Morganton to Clemson for Carolina Carnage 2024 (check it out, way cool).  I entered 85 SB at exit 96 around 6 AM Friday.  For the first 2 miles or so,, I was still on old pavement and very bumpy..  For most of that trip through the end of the construction zone, the outer lane was half into what will be the new shoulder, the median lane, though still a bit of a cattle chute, was not as tight as it was in mid October.   I also encountered a lot of old pavement SB near the replaced railroad Bridge.  Going NB Saturday  around 7 pm, the 2 outer NB lanes appear to be on their final permanent location, the white dashed line separating the middle lane and the median lane is even in place.  However their were sporadic k rails along the median appears to be wrapping up the median barrier where ramps cut through to exit back during my October trip.  Now, milepost 94 to 96 is still a cluster going north where I exited.
Thanks for the update.  I was last through that area in late summer, and if I remember right the last 8 or so miles to the NC state line were finished — mileposts 98 to 106 or thereabouts.

ARMOURERERIC

Quote from: rlb2024 on February 05, 2024, 10:52:59 PM
Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on February 05, 2024, 06:28:33 PM
Thanks for the update.  I was last through that area in late summer, and if I remember right the last 8 or so miles to the NC state line were finished — mileposts 98 to 106 or thereabouts.

I never get to drive that part since I live 30 miles due north of Shelby

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.