News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Jane Addams Tollway Rebuild and Widen

Started by I-39, December 15, 2014, 05:45:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I-39

Couple of things.

1. Does anyone know what the status of the proposed interchange at I-90/IL-23 in Marengo is? Are they going to go through with it at the same time when they reconstruct the bridge (supposed to be next year, but I cannot find anything confirming that)

2. Are the twin crossroad bridge structures that carry U.S 20 over I-90 in Belvidere (just west of the Irene Road interchange) going to be reconstructed, or left alone? I know there still is a couple of bridges on the western segment of the I-90 rebuild/widen project that need to be done, but once again, I cannot find anything that says those bridges will be rebuilt.

3. Are they going to modify the Elgin Toll Plaza to add a fourth open road tolling lane, since the four lanes in each direction is supposed to stop at Randall?

4. What about the proposed eastbound exit ramp at Lee Street?

Revive 755

Quote from: adamlanfort on December 15, 2014, 05:45:19 PM
1. Does anyone know what the status of the proposed interchange at I-90/IL-23 in Marengo is? Are they going to go through with it at the same time when they reconstruct the bridge (supposed to be next year, but I cannot find anything confirming that)

Last I heard, the IL 23 interchange was several years out.  For some reason, ISTHA requires a land use plan for the area surrounding the proposed interchange before it would be considered.

https://www.co.mchenry.il.us/county-government/departments-j-z/transportation/transportation-plans/long-range-transportation-plan

Its in the McHenry County plan so they are not the hold up BTW nothing too exciting 4 lane of 47 and 31 both under study by IDOT

SEWIGuy

What did the ISTHA have against IL-23 that it didn't get an interchange with both I-90 and I-88?

ET21

Quote from: SEWIGuy on December 15, 2014, 08:21:30 PM
What did the ISTHA have against IL-23 that it didn't get an interchange with both I-90 and I-88?

I-90 I do not know

I-88 would be complicated due to railroad tracks and manufacturing buildings in the paths of possible ramps
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Brandon

Quote from: ET21 on December 17, 2014, 10:33:38 AM
Quote from: SEWIGuy on December 15, 2014, 08:21:30 PM

I-90 I do not know

I-88 would be complicated due to railroad tracks and manufacturing buildings in the paths of possible ramps

Much agreed about IL-23 and I-88.  I think ISTHA did the best they could with Annie Glidden Road and Peace Road.  Both lead to major points of interest in the DeKalb/Sycamore area.  One goes straight into NIU, and the other goes to the main commercial district between DeKalb and Sycamore.

As for I-90 and IL-23, that seems to go back to when the Northwest Tollway (I-90) was a ticket tollway between South Beloit and Elgin (IL-31) back in 1958.  There were originally exits at Rockton Road, State Street (BUS US-20, then US-20), Genoa Road (Belvidere), Marengo-Hampshire (US-20), and IL-31 (Elgin) with just the South Beloit and Elgin Toll Plazas (in addition to the more usual barrier system east of Elgin).  Like other ticket tollways, my guess is that they figured US-20 would serve to connect to IL-23.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Revive 755

Quote from: 3467 on December 15, 2014, 08:19:41 PM
https://www.co.mchenry.il.us/county-government/departments-j-z/transportation/transportation-plans/long-range-transportation-plan

Its in the McHenry County plan so they are not the hold up BTW nothing too exciting 4 lane of 47 and 31 both under study by IDOT

That is a transportation plan.  A land use plan deals more with zoning/future development types.  Take this map for McHenry County's 2030 land use plan for example.

IMHO, Peace Road is a much better facility for an interchange with I-88 than IL 23, as it is a better quality arterial than IL 23 - I don't recall the speed limit going below 45 in the DeKalb Sycamore area, while IL 23 goes through the downtowns of both DeKalb and Sycamore.  It is also a fairly long and continuous road (I believe Kane County has a plan to fix the discontinuity in Burlington) that goes from just south of I-88 to US 20 a short distance west of the Elgin Bypass.  Drifting into fictional territory, it would almost be a worthy route for mainline IL 23 with the current route becoming a business route, or for a new three digit state route.

Joe The Dragon

IL-25 also has a ticket system feel to it's ramps

Brandon

Quote from: Joe The Dragon on December 17, 2014, 09:41:47 PM
IL-25 also has a ticket system feel to it's ramps

Very true, but the ticket system never extended that far east.  I have an ISTHA map from July 1960 that shows the current IL-31 interchange as a cloverleaf and the Elgin to South Beloit stretch as a closed ticket system.  The total cost for the ticket part was $1.05.  It also has the Cherry Valley interchange (which I assume to have been added between 1958 and 1960, but I could be wrong - it could be original).  The Cherry Valley interchange is shown connecting to Harrison Avenue.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.