News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

What Music Do You Like?

Started by roadgeek01, May 03, 2017, 04:48:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

I guess I am similar in the sense of preferring singles to albums. I have never listened to an entire album from lid to lid.
If I had to describe my favorite kind of music (without specifying the genre), I guess I would say simultaneously deep and catchy, with lyrics that at least make sense if not tell a story.

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: STLmapboy on June 04, 2020, 10:39:17 PM

EDIT: I also enjoy some 80s/90s rap, like Warren G's "Regulate" and Tone Loc's "Funky Cold Medina."

And these tend to sample other songs as well.  The former heavily samples Michael McDonald's "I Keep Forgettin" while the latter seems to sample the guitar riff from Foreigner's "Hot Blooded"
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

tolbs17

I'm a techno, rap, dance, club, rave fan. I hate country although many people where I live like it.

KEVIN_224

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on June 12, 2020, 01:38:40 PM
EDIT: I also enjoy some 80s/90s rap, like Warren G's "Regulate" and Tone Loc's "Funky Cold Medina."
And these tend to sample other songs as well.  The former heavily samples Michael McDonald's "I Keep Forgettin" while the latter seems to sample the guitar riff from Foreigner's "Hot Blooded"

And, of course, "Wild Thing", used a guitar sample from Van Halen. I want to say it was "Jayne's Crying"?

TravelingBethelite

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on June 13, 2020, 09:10:25 PM
Quote from: jp the roadgeek on June 12, 2020, 01:38:40 PM

And, of course, "Wild Thing", used a guitar sample from Van Halen. I want to say it was "Jayne's Crying"?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_Thing_(Tone_L%C5%8Dc_song)

You'd be correct on that one. An uncredited sample, at that.
"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

mgk920

Quote from: berberry on June 02, 2017, 01:44:30 PM
I've always loved a very wide range of music, including rock, heavy metal, dance music, pop, alternative and even classical. In the past decade or so I've been expanding into a lot of rock precursor music, mostly from the late 1940s and early 1950s.

I've been a Les Paul fan for many years, but until a few years ago I was only familiar with his later music with artists like Chet Atkins. I knew he had famously invented multi-track recording, but for some reason until about 10 years ago I never listened to any of those early recordings he made with his then wife, Mary Ford. But once I started listening to it I quickly realized what a profound impact these pre-rock hits had on later artists, even into the heavy metal era.

Les Paul & Mary Ford introduced the world to the unique sound of multi-track recording (and in the process, lip-syncing on TV) in 1951, with the hit single 'How High The Moon'.

I actually consider How High the Moon to be an early rock song, several years before Bill Haley.

Great stuff that was before its time!

:nod:

Mike

STLmapboy

More music:
Enola Gay--OMD
Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

andrepoiy

I listen to rock and its subgenres. My favourite subgenre is hard rock. I also listen to some non-English language rock bands. Favourite band of all time is Guns N' Roses.

English-language Bands:

*Guns N' Roses
*AC/DC
*Aerosmith
*Audioslave
*Bon Jovi
*Def Leppard
*Eagles
*Europe (Swedish band)
*Foo Fighters
*Foreigner
*Green Day
*Hanoi Rocks
*Iron Maiden
*L.A. Guns
*Led Zeppelin
*Lynyrd Skynryd
*Metallica
*Motley Crue
*Nirvana
*Oasis
*Pearl Jam
*Poison
*Queen
*Red Hot Chili Peppers
*Scorpions
*Sex Pistols
*Stone Temple Pilots
*Survivor
*Triumph
*Twisted Sister
*Van Halen
*Velvet Revolver
*Warrant

Non-english language Bands:
*Hei Bao (PR China)
*Bodyslam (Thailand)
*Silly Fools (Thailand)
*Loso (Thailand)
*Kino (Soviet Union)

Takumi

Quote from: webny99 on June 04, 2020, 11:58:18 AM
Smooth by Santana/Rob Thomas has become my new favorite song of all time.
It was released in 1999, too, so that makes it even more magical for me since that was the year I was born. I think the '90s would have been a super fun era to grow up in.
Ugh, that song was absolutely everywhere in 1999 and into 2000. The 90s were indeed nice to grow up in, but like every era it had its overplayed songs.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

bugo

Quote from: epzik8 on May 06, 2017, 09:16:38 PM
I'm a die-hard fan of 1980s new wave and post-punk. New Order, The Cure, Depeche Mode, the Psychedelic Furs, Tears For Fears, The Police and a bunch of other bands like that.

I also like some alternative rock acts such as the Red Hot Chili Peppers and R.E.M., a few classic rock acts like The Who, Led Zeppelin and Genesis (Phil Collins and Peter Gabriel solo stuff also), and, oh yeah, Prince, who was basically his own genre, the Minneapolis Sound.

"Post punk" is just what they called alternative music in the 1980s. It was post punk, then it was college rock, then post modern rock and finally alternative.

bugo

Quote from: webny99 on June 09, 2020, 10:43:33 AM
I guess I am similar in the sense of preferring singles to albums. I have never listened to an entire album from lid to lid.

Never?!?!?!?!?

MATraveler128

Anything that's more old school. I enjoy the Beatles, Johnny Cash, and Bob Dylan among others. I personally believe that modern music is kind of lame these days since most people my age listen to that style, like rap.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

kphoger

A fellow I helped lead to faith a several years ago just texted me a Christian song for me to listen to, because he was excited about it.  I had to grin, because the album was released in 1999, just one month after my own conversion, in a world without YouTube and in which mp3 players were the height of personal music tech.  This particular song was all over Christian radio back then.

Ah, young people...
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

mgk920

A lot of hewer stuff on my Spotify feeds has had a very strong '1980s' feel to it, including period acts coming back and making more new stuff, most recently Depeche Mode (also earlier acts such as the Red Hot Chili Peppers).

Kind of Refreshing.

Mike

bm7

Very broadly, 2000s/2010s/2020s metal, rock, and electronic. I listen to some pop but it usually would also fall into one of the other 3 categories.

jlam

Classic rock, especially AC/DC, Guns N' Roses, Led Zeppelin, Journey, and Queen. The newer stuff never got to me. It all sounds the same.

jgb191

Elton John is my favorite vocalist, and Savage Garden was my favorite musical band (Darren Hayes, solo, was never the same).

I like 1980's rock: Simple Mind, Tears for Fears, Def Leppard, Bon Jovi, Kenny Loggins

I also like the Alternative rock from this century:  Coldplay, Hinder, Three Doors Down, Lifehouse, Evanescence, Breaking Benjamin, Chris Daughtry, Nickelback, Chevelle, and Linkin Park (mainly first two albums; haven't been the same since then).

My all-time favorite song is Danger Zone from the Top Gun album.
We're so far south that we're not even considered "The South"

bugo

Quote from: jgb191 on April 15, 2023, 01:09:40 AM
My all-time favorite song is Danger Zone from the Top Gun album.

Did you know that Judas Priest was approached to do the theme song for Top Gun? The producers asked the band if they could use the song "Reckless" as the signature song from the film, but the band declined because they didn't want to "waste" "Reckless" for a soundtrack. After Priest turned them down, they approached Logger and he accepted, and the rest is history. "Reckless" is a great song.

jgb191

^ Reckless would have appropriately described Maverick's flying habits in the Top Gun movie.
We're so far south that we're not even considered "The South"

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.