News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Road Rage

Started by ParrDa, September 14, 2017, 09:05:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

Since I had a not so mild bout of road rage yesterday, and have subsequently been thinking about the consequences of aggressive driving: Have you ever been involved in road rage?

Road rage can stem from any number of factors, being cut off, tailgating, left lane camping. Or if there's some other thing drivers do that irks you, let's hear it.

hotdogPi

Quote from: ParrDa on September 14, 2017, 09:05:15 PM
Or, if there's some other thing drivers do that irks you, lets hear it.

Cutting across several lanes of traffic to take an exit.

iPhone XNo, not really. I don't use Tapatalk, and I don't have that phone.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13,44,50
MA 22,40,107,109,117,119,126,141,159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; UK A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; FR95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New: MA 14, 123

jp the roadgeek

Was almost a victim of road rage yesterday myself.  Was minding my business taking a left off an exit ramp (1 left and 1 right lane) onto a two lane road, and an idiot in a Mercedes behind me literally tried to pass me on the left by crossing over the double yellow line on the overpass (I thought maybe he was rushing to take a left to get back on the highway the other way, but he wasn't).  When he couldn't, he was almost driving alongside of me, then when opposing traffic came on, he started tailgating me at a distance that would make a NASCAR driver cringe.  Two more times he tried to pass on the double yellow, but he couldn't because of traffic.  I must've tapped and slammed on my brakes about 10 times, then slowed down to about 30.  Finally, I took a left and flip him off (something I never do).  This guy had to be on meth or have just stolen the car.  Wish I got his plate because I would have called the PD because this guy was endangering people. 

The two things that drive me crazy to no end are tailgaters who if they get any closer would be in front of you (if I can't see your headlights, you're too close), and drivers on a multi-lane highway who cut right in front of you (less than a half second after passing) without signaling, especially if the lane that they are in is wide open.  Distracted driving only gets me when I'm a pedestrian trying to cross in a crosswalk in a parking lot and someone blows through at 40 MPH without stopping and I see their left hand up to their left ear. 
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

plain

The last time I actually got that mad myself was about 13 years ago, I was on I-64 EB just east of Exit 192 in the left lane using my pop's '80 Chevy pickup to move a couple of dressers (not the greatest stopping power as you can imagine). A lady in a convertible got in the left lane and then slowed all of a sudden to turn into the "authorized vehicles only" cut to perform a U-turn. I slammed on brakes and came within inches of hitting her. I threw the Big Gulp I was drinking and it landed right on the back of her head... that was followed by me yelling "bitch!!!"
Newark born, Richmond bred

1995hoo

Quote from: plain on September 14, 2017, 10:25:31 PM
The last time I actually got that mad myself was about 13 years ago, I was on I-64 EB just east of Exit 192 in the left lane using my pop's '80 Chevy pickup to move a couple of dressers (not the greatest stopping power as you can imagine). A lady in a convertible got in the left lane and then slowed all of a sudden to turn into the "authorized vehicles only" cut to perform a U-turn. I slammed on brakes and came within inches of hitting her. I threw the Big Gulp I was drinking and it landed right on the back of her head... that was followed by me yelling "bitch!!!"

Nowadays in Virginia they might prosecute you for that.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/02/17/AR2007021701560.html
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on September 14, 2017, 09:24:28 PM
Was almost a victim of road rage yesterday myself.  Was minding my business taking a left off an exit ramp (1 left and 1 right lane) onto a two lane road, and an idiot in a Mercedes behind me literally tried to pass me on the left by crossing over the double yellow line on the overpass (I thought maybe he was rushing to take a left to get back on the highway the other way, but he wasn't).  When he couldn't, he was almost driving alongside of me, then when opposing traffic came on, he started tailgating me at a distance that would make a NASCAR driver cringe.  Two more times he tried to pass on the double yellow, but he couldn't because of traffic.  I must've tapped and slammed on my brakes about 10 times, then slowed down to about 30. Finally, I took a left and flip him off (something I never do).  This guy had to be on meth or have just stolen the car.  Wish I got his plate because I would have called the PD because this guy was endangering people.   

At that point you become part of the problem, because not only are you brake-checking that driver, everyone else behind you two are subject to your braking and unnecessary slowing.

Most people are only concerned with the car behind them.  They don't see the line of traffic behind that car.  I see this on the highway all the time - someone going the speed limit or slower is in the left lane. When they finally get over, they glare at the car that was behind them.  They ignore the next 10 cars that are able to finally pass as well, even though that single driver was responsible for holding up the entire lane's worth of traffic.

wanderer2575

Quote from: jeffandnicole on September 15, 2017, 08:20:40 AM
Was almost a victim of road rage yesterday myself.  Was minding my business taking a left off an exit ramp (1 left and 1 right lane) onto a two lane road, and an idiot in a Mercedes behind me literally tried to pass me on the left by crossing over the double yellow line on the overpass (I thought maybe he was rushing to take a left to get back on the highway the other way, but he wasn't).  When he couldn't, he was almost driving alongside of me, then when opposing traffic came on, he started tailgating me at a distance that would make a NASCAR driver cringe.  Two more times he tried to pass on the double yellow, but he couldn't because of traffic.  I must've tapped and slammed on my brakes about 10 times, then slowed down to about 30. Finally, I took a left and flip him off (something I never do).  This guy had to be on meth or have just stolen the car.  Wish I got his plate because I would have called the PD because this guy was endangering people.   

At that point you become part of the problem, because not only are you brake-checking that driver, everyone else behind you two are subject to your braking and unnecessary slowing.

Most people are only concerned with the car behind them.  They don't see the line of traffic behind that car.  I see this on the highway all the time - someone going the speed limit or slower is in the left lane. When they finally get over, they glare at the car that was behind them.  They ignore the next 10 cars that are able to finally pass as well, even though that single driver was responsible for holding up the entire lane's worth of traffic.

Bullstuff.  I don't advocate left-lane squatting or pretending you're the highway patrol, but bottom line is there are a lot more vehicles than there are lanes and you're going to be behind someone.  That someone's not going fast enough for your taste, you chill out and deal with it.  Everyone should be going as fast as what the fastest driver wants?  Bullstuff.  That's like saying the guy at the supermarket checkout shouldn't be buying so much stuff and holding things up when there's a line of people behind him.

I'm not out for vengeance or teaching a lesson; I just want a reasonable distance between vehicles.  If you're following me too closely for the speed, I will adjust accordingly.  Have you ever been rear-ended because you had to suddenly hit the brakes and the car behind you was following too closely to do the same?  I have.  If you've not had the pleasure, I suggest you give it a whirl.  Then, if you're still okay with someone tailgating you, I'll listen to your argument.

jemacedo9

The last time I had road rage was 20 years ago, I was on a back windy hilly road marked at 35 here in Suburban Philly.  I was doing 50 and that wasn't fast enough for the person behind me, who was tailing me, and weaving over the double yellow line trying to pass, but couldn't because of other cars or sight lines.  The first place I could pull over was a mile away, so I did and flipped him off.  He stopped...backed up...and two guys got out of the car, and so did I.

Fortunately...it was one of those high-school posturing stand-offs where there's a lot of the "you wanna go?" comments and f bombs, but eventually, they got in their car and drove away. 

I'm a big enough guy... 6'2" and at that time 210.  But it would have been two on one.

Since then...I've kept my outward gestures of rage in check.

hbelkins

Regarding brake checking, I'd love to rig up something that would make my brake lights illuminate without me having to hit the brake.

Regarding prosecutions, I vaguely remember a couple of prosecutions arising out of road rage incidents merely because someone took out a gun and displayed it or placed it on the dash of their vehicle and they did NOT point the gun at anyone.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

1995hoo

Quote from: hbelkins on September 15, 2017, 01:13:51 PM
Regarding brake checking, I'd love to rig up something that would make my brake lights illuminate without me having to hit the brake.

My father used to flick his parking lights on for a few seconds to make the red come on quickly as though he'd hit the brakes. I'm not sure that'd work as well now due to the high-mount third brake light.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: wanderer2575 on September 15, 2017, 08:52:52 AM

Bullstuff.  I don't advocate left-lane squatting or pretending you're the highway patrol, but bottom line is there are a lot more vehicles than there are lanes and you're going to be behind someone.  That someone's not going fast enough for your taste, you chill out and deal with it.  Everyone should be going as fast as what the fastest driver wants?  Bullstuff.  That's like saying the guy at the supermarket checkout shouldn't be buying so much stuff and holding things up when there's a line of people behind him.

I'm not out for vengeance or teaching a lesson; I just want a reasonable distance between vehicles.  If you're following me too closely for the speed, I will adjust accordingly.  Have you ever been rear-ended because you had to suddenly hit the brakes and the car behind you was following too closely to do the same?  I have.  If you've not had the pleasure, I suggest you give it a whirl.  Then, if you're still okay with someone tailgating you, I'll listen to your argument.

Completely irrelevant and completely bypassing the point.

You can't control the person behind you.  You go at the pace you're comfortable with, assuming you're obeying the rules of the road.  If you're doing the speed limit, fine.  Once you start tapping on the brakes though, you become the problem.  The guy isn't going to back off that much, and will continue to tailgate, as this person did at least 10 times.  It is absolutely a form of road rage.  And even worse, because once you get that accordion going of people braking because the lead car slowed down unnecessarily, accidents can easily occur many cars back.  Obviously you aren't aware of it...or care...but even though you weren't directly responsible, you indirectly put in motion the cause of the accident.

Being that NASCAR drivers drive within inches, and the brake checking went on a multiple number of times, it probably actually wasn't that close to him.  Closer than he would've liked, but not so close as to cause an accident.

As for being rear ended - yes, 9 days before my wedding.  Have you ever enjoyed your honeymoon by talking to insurance adjustors and repair shops?  No?  Then F off.

roadman

Quoteif there's some other thing drivers do that irks you, lets hear it.

A growing trend I'm seeing that is increasingly annoying me is drivers who, despite a clear road in front of them, will hit their brakes instead of just backing off on the throttle when they decide they're going too fast.

Another pet peeve of mine is drivers who take their time when passing large trucks.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: jeffandnicole on September 15, 2017, 01:49:29 PM
Quote from: wanderer2575 on September 15, 2017, 08:52:52 AM

Completely irrelevant and completely bypassing the point.

You can't control the person behind you.  You go at the pace you're comfortable with, assuming you're obeying the rules of the road.  If you're doing the speed limit, fine.  Once you start tapping on the brakes though, you become the problem.  The guy isn't going to back off that much, and will continue to tailgate, as this person did at least 10 times.  It is absolutely a form of road rage.  And even worse, because once you get that accordion going of people braking because the lead car slowed down unnecessarily, accidents can easily occur many cars back.  Obviously you aren't aware of it...or care...but even though you weren't directly responsible, you indirectly put in motion the cause of the accident.

Being that NASCAR drivers drive within inches, and the brake checking went on a multiple number of times, it probably actually wasn't that close to him.  Closer than he would've liked, but not so close as to cause an accident.

As for being rear ended - yes, 9 days before my wedding.  Have you ever enjoyed your honeymoon by talking to insurance adjustors and repair shops?  No?  Then F off.

I am literally talking within inches at 45-50 MPH, and there were no other cars behind him or in front of me, so the whole accordion effect wasn't in play.  This person was just completely and totally obnoxious.     
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

inkyatari

I get really pissed when people throw fire..  I mean cigarette garbage.. out of their window and it hits my vehicle.
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

SidS1045

Quote from: roadman on September 15, 2017, 01:55:56 PMAnother pet peeve of mine is drivers who take their time when passing large trucks.

...otherwise known as the cruise-control pass.

Cruise control:  The greatest invention ever for keeping drivers from paying attention to their surroundings...at least, until someone invented the cell phone.
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

TheArkansasRoadgeek

One time (maybe three months ago) while going to Little Rock we had a box truck driver for Aaron's on I-40 (We were near Mullmele or Moralton) and this guy was lane hopping between the two lanes (there was two semis doing a slow race in front of him). It was very sketch! The point is that this blundering bafoon was very dangerous and he was holding up traffic from passing and could have caused an accident.
Well, that's just like your opinion man...

Brandon

Quote from: SidS1045 on September 15, 2017, 03:47:15 PM
Quote from: roadman on September 15, 2017, 01:55:56 PMAnother pet peeve of mine is drivers who take their time when passing large trucks.

...otherwise known as the cruise-control pass.

Cruise control:  The greatest invention ever for keeping drivers from paying attention to their surroundings...at least, until someone invented the cell phone.

Thing is, the fuckers around here speed, speed, speed, until they get next to a truck, and then stupidly slow down in the "no zone" for some dumbass reason.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

jakeroot

Road rage almost always stems from one driver being annoyed at another driver for not driving quickly enough, or someone not getting over to allow someone to pass. I've never instigated road rage (because I'm not an idiot), nor have ever had it directed at me. I mostly avoid it by always being in the top 15th percentile of traffic speed. If someone is breathing down my neck on a two lane road, I always pull off and let them by. The fact that people resort to brake-checking (jp the roadgeek) over just letting someone by, either by pulling into the shoulder, a side road, or a soft verge is just an appalling display of ignorance. Pulling off and letting someone by is an especially good idea if you think that person is high or drunk. You don't know what they could do, so just get out of their way.

tribar

I do believe brake checking is illegal and even if it is not, it is still just as dangerous if not more than driving like a speed demon.

jakeroot

Quote from: ParrDa on September 16, 2017, 12:17:26 AM
Quote from: tribar on September 15, 2017, 11:01:58 PM
I do believe brake checking is illegal and even if it is not, it is still just as dangerous if not more than driving like a speed demon.

But neither is as dangerous as tailgating IMO.
And it's kind of hard to prove whether you had a "reason" for braking. Doesnt make it right, but I'm not sure about illegal.

Braking unnecessarily, when someone is behind you, could be considered assault.

The better idea is just to get out of the way of the tailgater. It takes two to tango.

sparker

Quote from: jakeroot on September 16, 2017, 01:16:49 AM
Quote from: ParrDa on September 16, 2017, 12:17:26 AM
Quote from: tribar on September 15, 2017, 11:01:58 PM

But neither is as dangerous as tailgating IMO.
And it's kind of hard to prove whether you had a "reason" for braking. Doesnt make it right, but I'm not sure about illegal.

Braking unnecessarily, when someone is behind you, could be considered assault.

The better idea is just to get out of the way of the tailgater. It takes two to tango.

Over the years I've found a few effective ways to deal with tailgaters:  on a freeway/expressway, if you're in the left or one of the center lanes, just pull over to the right at the first opportunity; in the right lane, speed up and move left (unless you're preparing to exit).  On a 2-lane road, pull into the first publicly-available area (a parking lot, turnout, or even a side street if nothing else is available) and see what the tailgater does.  If they follow you, screw the cel phone laws and call 911 -- or, alternately, stay in your car until the tailgater gets out and then take off like a bat out of hell!   I did this during a RR photo trip up near Lake Almanor several years back; a moron started tailgating me just outside Greenville and continued to follow me up CA 147; I pulled into a Quick Stop in Westwood and the guy followed me into the lot and got out of his car.  I gunned it, got onto 36 west and pulled into the first Chevron I could find and parked around back out of sight of the road.  Never saw the guy again (he was driving an old Pontiac).  All the time, I was thinking about the old Spielberg TV film "Duel".  One difference -- I had my 9mm Ruger behind the seat of my truck with 3 full clips (always carried it on photo trips into the "outback") -- but all said & done, I'd rather not even think about using or even wielding it.   Better to evade than confront in this type of situation!     

pumpkineater2

One alternative to brake checking that I have observed on the road is activating your windshield washers. At highway speeds, much of the fluid flies off your car and onto the windshield of the tailgater. This will either persuade them to back off or it will piss them off more, but at least its something that you can't be prosecuted for. Alternatively, if your car has a sunroof and you happen to have a bottle of water or other substance handy... well you get the idea.
Come ride with me to the distant shore...

jakeroot

Quote from: pumpkineater2 on September 16, 2017, 02:35:05 PM
One alternative to brake checking that I have observed on the road is activating your windshield washers....

Another alternative to brake checking is pulling off to the side and letting them by ... why do people insist on dealing with tailgaters themselves? Let them go. You (not you pumpkin) are the reason they are angry.

OracleUsr

I've had two road rage incidents happen to me.

First time, I was coming back from karaoke at a local area, and I came to an intersection where a guy was turning left and I was turning right onto the same road.  I sat there for a minute and he waited, so I went.  G#8)(*T)( followed me onto my property, sped up and almost ran me over threatening to "kick (my) ass if I ever drove like that again"

Second time, I was on my way to work.  A car stopped short of the side road I was turning from and when I went to turn, he rolled forward to cut me off so I flipped him off as I turned in front of him.  He chased me (and I know because I even ducked onto a side street, and he tailed me).  I don't know how I shook him.  Okay, so he had the right of way, but if you stop, STOP.  Don't pretend to let me in and then try to cut me off!!!!!

Me?  Well, there was this time about six years ago that I was turning onto a major highway even after letting the newly-green light wait for a few seconds.  A pickup truck with a trailer came flying down the highway, just stopping short of broadsiding me (did I mention his light had been red for several seconds??).  I turned around quickly and chased him for a mile.

My pet peeves:

1.  Blocking a turn lane because you can't get to the outside lane on the cross street.
2.  Bearing down on me when I'm already driving too fast.
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

jakeroot

Quote from: ParrDa on September 16, 2017, 06:35:05 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on September 16, 2017, 03:36:36 PM
Quote from: pumpkineater2 on September 16, 2017, 02:35:05 PM
One alternative to brake checking that I have observed on the road is activating your windshield washers....

Another alternative to brake checking is pulling off to the side and letting them by ... why do people insist on dealing with tailgaters themselves? Let them go. You (not you pumpkin) are the reason they are angry.

Well, for one, they're at fault. For two, the "slowpoke" isn't necessarily doing anything wrong. Maybe they shouldn't insist on trying to get ahead in such a rude, aggressive manner (in other words, they're the ones that are wrongly trying to take things in their own hands). If Car A really is at fault, for left lane camping, etc They have several other options, 4 way flashers being the one least disruptive to traffic flow.
Personally, instead of riding on someone's bumper, I'll wait it out in the right lane until I can pass at a reasonable speed differential. Unless, of course, my place in line is in jeopardy  :D

I'm not trying to suggest that the tailgater is somehow in the right. Whatever distance they are following at, it probably wouldn't be construed as safe or reasonable by an officer. But, in order for someone to tailgate, there has to be a car to tailgate. The only safe way to diffuse the situation, lest you're a cop, is to simply get out of their way. Don't let them tailgate.

By not taking measures to get out of their way, you are contributing to the problem just as much as they are. The tailgater is creating a problem where there wasn't one (unless the car they're following is camping in the left lane), but you are creating another problem by taking no steps to get out of their way. Be the bigger person in the situation, and just move.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.