News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

John Hancock Center is No More

Started by Henry, February 13, 2018, 10:10:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henry

According to this Chicago Tribune article, the city's second-best known skyscraper will no longer be known as the John Hancock Center; instead, it is now 875 N. Michigan, after its address. This comes 10 years after the erstwhile Sears Tower became the Willis Tower. The full article is below:

QuoteThe John Hancock Center is getting a name change, nearly a decade after another of Chicago's most beloved skyscrapers – the Sears Tower – switched identities and caused a civic uproar.

Owners of the 100-story John Hancock Center said the building's namesake, the insurance company that built the tower almost five decades ago, asked that its name and logos throughout the building's interior be removed immediately.

The Hancock is the city's fourth-tallest building, at 1,128 feet.

For now the building will be known by its address, 875 N. Michigan Ave., as the owner seeks a new naming-rights deal, said Stephen Hearn, president and CEO of Hearn Co.

Chicago-based Hearn is part of a group of real estate investors that has owned the office and parking portions of the building since 2013.

John Hancock removed its name from the 62-story John Hancock Tower in Boston in 2015 after its last office lease in the building expired.

The insurer, which was acquired by Toronto-based Manulife Financial in 2004, hasn't been a tenant in Chicago's John Hancock Center for many years.

"As they did in Boston, they just decided to have their name removed,"  Hearn said. "At this point, we'll push harder for a replacement name. This property deserves a more important identity than simply the address."

John Hancock hasn't paid for the right to have its name on the modernist skyscraper since the last naming-rights contract expired shortly after the current owners bought it, Hearn said.

Manulife representatives did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

John Hancock Mutual Life Insurance Co. built the tower from 1965 to 1970. The building, designed by Skidmore, Owings & Merrill, is known for its black, X-shaped braces.

The loss of the iconic name comes as Hearn decided to continue owning the property after exploring a potential sale. Hearn has decided to hold on to the property for at least another two or three years, meaning it will likely be the owner that signs a naming-rights deal.

Hearn and its investment partners, Mount Kellett Capital Management and San Antonio-based Lynd Co., bought their portion of the tower for $140 million in 2013. Mount Kellett is now an affiliate of New York-based Fortress Investment Group.

The group owns the 717-space parking garage on Floors 4 to 12 and about 908,000 square feet of offices on Floors 13 to 41.

The group invested about $69 million on building upgrades and signing new leases.

Other portions of the property – including residential condominiums, retail and restaurant space, broadcast antennas and the 360 Chicago observatory – are owned separately.

The Tribune reported last year that the office and parking owners were putting the property up for sale, with offers expected to potentially top $330 million.

But offers came in lower than hoped amid a continued slowdown in downtown Chicago office sales in 2017. Last year's downtown office sales volume was $2.2 billion, according to Jones Lang LaSalle, down from $2.5 billion in 2016. The past two years were down dramatically from a record $6.5 billion in sales in 2015.

Hearn said several factors, including uncertainty over future interest rates and the impact of new tax laws, slowed the potential sale of its building as well as other large office deals in Chicago.

"It all led to the notion that this isn't the right time for a sale,"  Hearn said.

The owners instead will look to refinance the property with a new loan, he said.

Hearn will continue talks for naming rights, which he said could be tied into a redevelopment of the ground-floor plaza. The plaza, parking garage and naming rights are controlled by the office owner.

Hearn previously estimated naming rights could be worth $1.5 million or more annually.

Yet he said he realizes name changes should not be taken lightly, conscious that many Chicagoans refuse to refer to the former Sears Tower by its nearly decade-old moniker, Willis Tower.

Hearn declined to say whether he expected the building's new namesake to be a tenant in the building.

Circumstances at the Hancock differ from those that led to the Sears Tower becoming Willis Tower in 2009. In that deal, British insurance broker Willis Group Holdings acquired naming rights as part of an office lease.

In the Hancock's case, the building's namesake has asked for a change without a replacement in tow.

"We have turned away a number of interested parties because we didn't feel the name was appropriate for this iconic property,"  Hearn said. "I want to put an identity on this property that everyone in Chicago can be proud of."
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Buck87

This isn't going to go over well....

Brandon

Right...

They still call the other building the "Sears Tower".  Only reporters and those from out of town call it "Willis Tower".
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Flint1979

It'll still be called the John Hancock Center just like the Willis Tower is still called the Sears Tower and Guaranteed Rate Field is still called Comiskey Park.

formulanone

Quote from: Brandon on February 13, 2018, 11:53:27 AM
Right...

They still call the other building the "Sears Tower".  Only reporters and those from out of town call it "Willis Tower".

It's quite simple: Stop naming ginormous monolithic things after corporate interests, and you won't have this problem. It also comes with the added benefit of avoiding untoward free publicity.

kkt

Quote from: formulanone on February 13, 2018, 01:24:01 PM
Right...

It's quite simple: Stop naming ginormous monolithic things after corporate interests, and you won't have this problem. It also comes with the added benefit of avoiding untoward free publicity.

:clap:

abefroman329

Right...

It also saves you the embarrassment of having something named for a company that has long since gone under, such as Enron Field and Qualcomm Stadium, to name but two examples.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: abefroman329 on February 13, 2018, 03:10:06 PM
Right...

It also saves you the embarrassment of having something named for a company that has long since gone under, such as Enron Field and Qualcomm Stadium, to name but two examples.

But...$$$.

Who's really embarrassed?

abefroman329

Quote from: jeffandnicole on February 13, 2018, 03:13:27 PM
Right...

But...$$$.

Who's really embarrassed?

The team that plays there certainly should be.

abefroman329

Quote from: Flint1979 on February 13, 2018, 12:53:20 PM
It'll still be called the John Hancock Center just like the Willis Tower is still called the Sears Tower and Guaranteed Rate Field is still called Comiskey Park.

Speaking of Guaranteed Rate Field, I read a rumor that Wintrust Bank was going to purchase the naming rights and name it Wintrust Field at Comiskey Park, but they were beaten out due to some favorable connections between Reinsdorf and Guaranteed Rate.

As a lifelong Sox fan, calling it "the Grief" for short would be appropriate for the way the team is playing.

SSOWorld

Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

formulanone

Quote from: Flint1979 on February 13, 2018, 12:53:20 PMGuaranteed Rate Field

I've been out of the stadia naming loop for almost a decade now, so when I saw this last week while thumbing around Google Maps, I almost reported it as spam. It sounds like something the Greater Hazleton Chamber of Commerce would promote...

Hurricane Rex

Removing the John Hancock tower removes a piece of Chicago IMO.
ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

inkyatari

I have a suggestion.  Rename it The Burnham Center after Daniel Burnham. It's not a corporate name, and it's something distinctly Chicago.
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

SectorZ

Right...

Enron and Qualcomm bought naming rights for things they had no relationship with. Sears and John Hancock actually utilized the things named for them.

NWI_Irish96

When the Reds opened Great American Ballpark, I had no idea there was actually a company named Great American.  I thought the Reds were just bragging about their ballpark.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

abefroman329

Quote from: SectorZ on February 14, 2018, 08:59:45 AM
Right...

Enron and Qualcomm bought naming rights for things they had no relationship with. Sears and John Hancock actually utilized the things named for them.

Sears vacated the Sears Tower 10 or 15 years before it was renamed.

Flint1979

Quote from: abefroman329 on February 13, 2018, 03:19:11 PM

Speaking of Guaranteed Rate Field, I read a rumor that Wintrust Bank was going to purchase the naming rights and name it Wintrust Field at Comiskey Park, but they were beaten out due to some favorable connections between Reinsdorf and Guaranteed Rate.

As a lifelong Sox fan, calling it "the Grief" for short would be appropriate for the way the team is playing.
I've always been a Sox fan but can't ever call it Guaranteed Rate Field, I too call it Comiskey still.

Takumi

Quote from: cabiness42 on February 14, 2018, 09:16:17 AM
When the Reds opened Great American Ballpark, I had no idea there was actually a company named Great American.  I thought the Reds were just bragging about their ballpark.
WAIT WHAT
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Roadgeekteen

This sucks. Whats next, renaming Fenway Park after some sh*t company or something like that?
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

SectorZ

Quote from: abefroman329 on February 14, 2018, 10:47:57 AM
Quote from: SectorZ on February 14, 2018, 08:59:45 AM
Right...

Sears vacated the Sears Tower 10 or 15 years before it was renamed.

But is what was named WHILE they were in there.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 14, 2018, 03:02:30 PM
This sucks. Whats next, renaming Fenway Park after some sh*t company or something like that?

Don't think that hasn't been talked about.  http://www.masslive.com/redsox/index.ssf/2014/02/boston_red_sox_resist_urge_to.html

They do have areas within the stadium named, such as for Coca Cola, which probably keeps everyone in some sort of state of happiness for now.

ET21

See that wouldn't be bad. I've seen fields named within stadiums like Brigham Field at Huskie Stadium in DeKalb. Guaranteed rate with a big red down arrow is possibly the worst public sign to see when entering a stadium of a competitive team.
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

abefroman329

Quote from: ET21 on February 14, 2018, 03:53:04 PM

See that wouldn't be bad. I've seen fields named within stadiums like Brigham Field at Huskie Stadium in DeKalb. Guaranteed rate with a big red down arrow is possibly the worst public sign to see when entering a stadium of a competitive team.

Yeah that would've been fine with me.  The Georgia Tech football team (and, IIRC, for a time, Atlanta United) play on Grant Field at Bobby Dodd Stadium (not that it's ever referred to that way, either Grant Field or Bobby Dodd Stadium).

abefroman329

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 14, 2018, 03:02:30 PM

Or worse, Wrigley Field.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.