Potential 2022 Twin Cities Roadmeet

Started by TheHighwayMan3561, June 17, 2021, 02:33:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheHighwayMan3561

Getting a jump on this since I have no dates in mind and multiple ideas in mind.

Option A: West Metro New and Relatively New Construction

-I-94 rebuild/widen from Maple Grove to Rogers, with newly built Dayton Parkway
-the new/new-ish sections of MN 610 between 94 and US 169
-US 12 Orono/Long Lake Super 2 Bypass
-the historic US 169 Mississippi River Bridge in Champlin
-the interchange that replaced the infamous Devil's Triangle on US 169 in Osseo
-US 169 improvements between Champlin and I-94/694

Option B: St. Paul/greater Dakota County (we probably won't do all of this, just options):

-I-35E compare and contrasts: the infamous parkway section to the major rebuilt section north of I-94
-Kellogg Blvd in downtown St. Paul and what hides beneath it
-Shepard Road, a pseudo-expressway along the riverfront
-downtown St. Paul Mississippi River bridges and the MN 149 High Bridge
-Ayd Mill Road
-I-494 Wakota Bridge
-US 10 Prescott drawbridge
-newish US 61 bridge at Hastings

Let me know what you think or offer your own ideas you may have picked up from your own travels.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

froggie

IMO, the only thing "interesting" about Dayton Pkwy is its DDI at 94.  Otherwise, it's a stereotypical new exurban roadway that won't take more than 5-10 years to clog up from the retail/commercial development the city of Dayton can now put in along it.

IIRC, both 610 and 12/Long Lake were part of past meets.

I'd lean towards Option B, for the simple fact that the East Metro has largely been neglected in the roadmeet department.

A.J. Bertin

If the timing is right for me, I might be interested in attending this meet... especially if Option B is what ends up happening.  I would love the opportunity to explore more of St. Paul.
-A.J. from Michigan

TheHighwayMan3561

For the record, Option B is already what I was likely to go with, but I thought since this is all very early that I would show all the thoughts I was sketching out.

Nikolai

I do like option A since it's new to me. I've explored most of the option B list on my own.

cl94

I have zero idea as to whether or not I'd be able to attend, but I am definitely interested in another Twin Cities meet as an excuse to see more of MN, WI, and possibly the Dakotas. Option B sounds more interesting; I haven't driven around St Paul nearly as much as Minneapolis and the most recent meet focused on the west half of the metro.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

jpi

Will keep this in mind, been 6 years since Steph and I were in the twin cities and would be a good way to clinch more counties in the region.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

DandyDan

I have never done a road meet of any kind and it's not that far from Mason City, IA to the Cities. I'd have to do one once. It depends on when it is, of course.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

TheHighwayMan3561

Early thought on this, possible August 27 or Labor Day weekend, September 3 for dates. This time is usually when the local weather is the best since it's still summery but the humidity will largely have passed, and would give meet attendees interested in our much-ballyhooed State Fair a chance to attend (it will run August 25 through Sept. 5 in 2022). Regardless, I like the idea of a later-summer meet like froggie had.

SSOWorld

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on July 28, 2021, 06:04:27 PM
Early thought on this, possible August 27 or Labor Day weekend, September 3 for dates. This time is usually when the local weather is the best since it's still summery but the humidity will largely have passed, and would give meet attendees interested in our much-ballyhooed State Fair a chance to attend (it will run August 25 through Sept. 5 in 2022). Regardless, I like the idea of a later-summer meet like froggie had.
Bit of a concern that the state fair may cause headaches with lodging such as higher rates and inability to cancel. (much less inability to book at last minute or play motel roulette.)
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: SSOWorld on July 28, 2021, 08:37:36 PM
Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on July 28, 2021, 06:04:27 PM
Bit of a concern that the state fair may cause headaches with lodging such as higher rates and inability to cancel. (much less inability to book at last minute or play motel roulette.)

I answered you in chat but to respond for everyone else - it's unlikely the fair will have much impact on hotels. The people who need to stay overnight such as farmers at the fair with their showcase animals largely camp at the fairgrounds, and most outstaters who come for the fair will make it a day trip and head home after. Keep in mind 3/5 of the state's population lives in the metro area, so very few of that contingent will need a room either.

(for reference: the fairgrounds are located roughly halfway between downtown Minneapolis and downtown St. Paul)

kphoger

Only mildly interested–not even close to saying I'd go.

But.

I do have a lot of in-laws in Minnesota, and we haven't been there in a few years.  So it would be somewhat feasible to do a combination family/roadmeet trip.  Having said that, I'm torn on the two options.  I am more familiar with and thus more interested in the west metro.  But the bridges in Option B are intriguing, plus some of the aforementioned in-laws live in Hastings.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

hbelkins

My wife actually went to the Minnesota state fair years ago. Saw a concert there (it was either Depeche Mode or Duran Duran, I can't remember which) and also ended up staying an extra day or two to attend the Cat Vid Fest and the event where Lil Bub (RIP) met Grumpy Cat (RIP). Neither availability nor price-gouging on hotel rates were an issue.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

cl94

The meet coinciding with the Minnesota State Fair would definitely make me more likely to attend. Even if I can't partake in the all you can drink milk stand.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Alps

Quote from: cl94 on July 29, 2021, 12:15:58 PM
The meet coinciding with the Minnesota State Fair would definitely make me more likely to attend. Even if I can't partake in the all you can drink milk stand.
I've been to the MN fair and I missed that stand.

Mdcastle

For option B, what about the St. Croix Crossing / Stillwater Lift Bridge?

JayhawkCO

Butter sculptures!

Chris

froggie

Quote from: Alps on July 29, 2021, 06:29:54 PM
I've been to the MN fair and I missed that stand.

Better stop at Sweet Martha's and grab a bucket of cookies first...

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: Mdcastle on August 06, 2021, 04:02:48 PM
For option B, what about the St. Croix Crossing / Stillwater Lift Bridge?

Some of us did that as the post-meet at froggie's 2017 meet and I think some other attendees did it on their own time, which was why I left it off. If the demand is there I will certainly reconsider, but it's also quite a bit out of the way.

signalman

I'm only interested if it's a milk truk

Alps

Quote from: signalman on September 25, 2021, 09:36:49 AM
I'm only interested if it's a milk truk
it won't arive if you don't atend :|

TheHighwayMan3561

With the announcement of the Philadelphia national meet in such close proximity to the dates I had eyed, I am going to look at a different set of dates or postpone to a future year.

froggie

I'd argue stick with it.  Not really much of a conflict.  And it's not like the community hasn't had meets in different regions on the same weekend.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: froggie on November 08, 2021, 03:48:54 PM
I'd argue stick with it.  Not really much of a conflict.  And it's not like the community hasn't had meets in different regions on the same weekend.

I guess I should explain my thinking.

1. Purely selfish, but I'm interested in Philadelphia myself having never been there, which I wouldn't want to worry about the logistics of hosting a meet around the same time.

This would probably cement the meet for 9/3, which I'm OK with, but then it comes to my second point.

2. Not wanting to feel like people have to choose, especially knowing how much time and money goes into meet-related activities for a lot of people and there will likely be a lot of overlap in prospective attendees interested in both meets.

I would gladly host on 9/3, but need to hear what others think of this.

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on November 08, 2021, 05:53:39 PM
Quote from: froggie on November 08, 2021, 03:48:54 PM

I guess I should explain my thinking.

1. Purely selfish, but I'm interested in Philadelphia myself having never been there, which I wouldn't want to worry about the logistics of hosting a meet around the same time. This would probably cement the meet for 9/3, which I'm OK with, but then it comes to my second point.

2. Not wanting to feel like people have to choose, especially knowing how much time and money goes into these things for a lot of people and there will likely be a lot of overlap in attendees interested in both meets.

I will admit that I am one who is interested in attending both.  If I attend the Philadelphia meet, I doubt it will be very likely that I'd attend this meet if it's either 8/27 or 9/3... because both meets would be significantly long distance for me.  Not saying I wouldn't want to try, but I'm not sure how likely it would be.  If I attend Philadelphia and the Twin Cities meet is held on one of those two weekends, the likelihood is slightly better that I'd attend this one if it's 9/3 as opposed to 8/27... but honestly, it's not better by that much.

Having said that, I'm just one person.  You should do whatever you want with it.
-A.J. from Michigan

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.