News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Interstate 42

Started by LM117, May 27, 2016, 11:39:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sparker

Quote from: mrhappy1261 on October 15, 2019, 05:16:56 PM
I hate when stuff like that gets pushed back. Is it because they are moving too slow with the current construction that they are doing right now?
...............I get pretty mad when it takes us 30 minutes extra.

Projects are being delayed because of fiscal shortfalls, some of which are due to additional expenses repairing weather-related damage, and some of which can be attributed to "biting off more than they can chew" in regards to attempting to juggle several major projects (and new Interstate corridors) at once.  So the completion times of I-42 and progress on I-74 and even I-795 south of there will be stretched out quite a bit.  And thus beachgoers will just have to cool their jets for the time being.

LM117

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2019/2019-10-18-tuscarora-rhems-us-70-ramp-closure.aspx

QuoteNEW BERN — A Craven County highway ramp is scheduled to close for about 12 hours early next week while N.C. Department of Transportation contract crews upgrade it to interstate ​standards.

The westbound ramp from Tuscarora Rhems Road to U.S. 70 is set to close Oct. 21 between 6:30 a.m. and 7 p.m.

During the closure, crews will apply a new top layer of asphalt.

Traffic needing to access the highway from Tuscarora Rhems Road will take U.S. 70 East and drive to the exit 409 for Clarks Road. Drivers will turn left at the stop sign, cross the bridge, and turn left to get to U.S. 70 West.

This construction is part of the project to bring U.S. 70 up to interstate standards​. Crews are widening shoulders, as well as milling and repaving the highway, which will be renamed Interstate 42. The project in Craven County is 32 miles long and costs $25.5 million.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

The Ghostbuster

Google Maps already has an Interstate 42 symbol (only 1) on its map. It is located where US 70 Bypass (around Goldsboro) marks its eastern terminus at mainline US 70. Talk about significantly jumping the gun. It will likely be many years before any portion of the US 70 corridor is officially co-designated with Interstate 42

sprjus4

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on October 18, 2019, 01:35:52 PM
Google Maps already has an Interstate 42 symbol (only 1) on its map. It is located where US 70 Bypass (around Goldsboro) marks its eastern terminus at mainline US 70. Talk about significantly jumping the gun. It will likely be many years before any portion of the US 70 corridor is officially co-designated with Interstate 42
It's been there for a few months now. IIRC, NCDOT already has permission to designate the Goldsboro Bypass as I-42 as it meets interstate standards and connects with another interstate (I-795).

LM117

Quote from: sprjus4 on October 18, 2019, 01:57:45 PM
It's been there for a few months now. IIRC, NCDOT already has permission to designate the Goldsboro Bypass as I-42 as it meets interstate standards and connects with another interstate (I-795).

They do, though it still hasn't been signed yet. The US-70 Corridor Commission still hasn't posted the minutes of their September and July meetings.

planxtymcgillicuddy

Quote from: LM117 on October 18, 2019, 03:01:26 PM
Quote from: sprjus4 on October 18, 2019, 01:57:45 PM

They do, though it still hasn't been signed yet. The US-70 Corridor Commission still hasn't posted the minutes of their September and July meetings.

Google Maps has the 70 Bypass at Smithfield as I-42, but only on street-level shots. The actual map still has it as U.S. 70 Byp.

Fixed quote. - rmf67
It's easy to be easy when you're easy...

Quote from: on_wisconsin on November 27, 2021, 02:39:12 PM
Whats a Limon, and does it go well with gin?

LM117

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2019/2019-10-18-tuscarora-rhems-us-70-ramp-closure.aspx

QuoteNEW BERN — A Craven County highway ramp is scheduled to close for about 12 hours this week while N.C. Department of Transportation contract crews upgrade it to interstate ​standards.

The westbound ramp from Tuscarora Rhems Road to U.S. 70 is set to close Oct. 23 between 6:30 a.m. and 7 p.m.

During the closure, crews will apply a new top layer of asphalt.

Traffic needing to access the highway from Tuscarora Rhems Road will take U.S. 70 East and drive to the exit 409 for Clarks Road. Drivers will turn left at the stop sign, cross the bridge, and turn left to get to U.S. 70 West.

This construction is part of the project to bring U.S. 70 up to interstate standards​. Crews are widening shoulders, as well as milling and repaving the highway, which will be renamed Interstate 42. The project in Craven County is 32 miles long and costs $25.5 million.

LM117

Since I still haven't seen anything in the local newspapers about the Goldsboro Bypass becoming I-42, I went ahead and messaged NCDOT and asked them if there was a timetable for putting up I-42 shields and if there are plans to decommission US-70 Bypass once I-42 takes over.

As soon as I get a response, I'll post it here.

LM117

^ Well, NCDOT's response this morning is somewhat puzzling. :hmm:

Here's what I sent:

QuoteI was looking on the website of the US-70 Corridor Commission and according to their Director's Report for January & February 2019, NCDOT got federal approval to sign the US-70 Bypass in Goldsboro as I-42. Is there a timetable for installing I-42 signs and are there plans to request the decommissioning of US-70 Bypass once I-42 takes over? Thanks in advance.

Their response:

QuoteCurrently, there is no timetable for installing Interstate 42 signs and removing the US 70 signs. There are certain requirements that must be met such as connection of the Interstate between other major routes. Future Interstate 42 signs have been installed at the county lines. The corridor must be improved to interstate standard within 25 years of the future interstate designation being granted. At this time I cannot say when portions will be shielded as I-42.

If you would like to discuss further, please email or call.

Thanks, Matt Clarke
wmclarke@ncdot.gov
252-640-6419

X99

Quote from: LM117 on October 30, 2019, 11:48:47 AM

Here's what I sent:

QuoteI was looking on the website of the US-70 Corridor Commission and according to their Director's Report for January & February 2019, NCDOT got federal approval to sign the US-70 Bypass in Goldsboro as I-42. Is there a timetable for installing I-42 signs and are there plans to request the decommissioning of US-70 Bypass once I-42 takes over? Thanks in advance.

Their response:

QuoteCurrently, there is no timetable for installing Interstate 42 signs and removing the US 70 signs. There are certain requirements that must be met such as connection of the Interstate between other major routes. Future Interstate 42 signs have been installed at the county lines. The corridor must be improved to interstate standard within 25 years of the future interstate designation being granted. At this time I cannot say when portions will be shielded as I-42.

Thanks, Matt Clarke
wmclarke@ncdot.gov
252-640-6419
Maybe they don't count I-795 as a major route, despite it being an Interstate.
why are there only like 5 people on this forum from south dakota

LM117

Quote from: X99 on October 30, 2019, 01:35:49 PM
Quote from: LM117 on October 30, 2019, 11:48:47 AM

Here's what I sent:

Their response:

Thanks, Matt Clarke
wmclarke@ncdot.gov
252-640-6419
Maybe they don't count I-795 as a major route, despite it being an Interstate.

The response is confusing to me because it reads as if the Goldsboro Bypass is not officially I-42 yet, but according to the Director's Report I mentioned, it is.

See page 4: http://www.super70corridor.com/wp-content/uploads/Jan_Feb_2019-Directors-Report.pdf

Another head scratcher is the mention of the 25-year deadline to upgrade US-70. I was always under the impression that Congressionally-designated future interstates were exempt from FHWA's 25-year rule.

sparker

^^^^^^^^^
As the US 70 Goldsboro Bypass connects directly with I-795, there should be no official objections to erecting I-42 signage there.   Also the 25-year construction timeframe is only applicable to "bottom-up" Interstate corridors proposed by the states and not part of a Congressionally-mandated corridor; I-42 is in the latter category, thus exempt.  Of the last six Interstate trunk (1/2di) routes to be designated from 2012 through 2016, five of them (11,14,41,42, and the 2nd 87) were the result of Congressional action through new high-priority corridors or amending older ones with Interstate designation clauses.  The only one that was state-initiated was I-2; at this point it's unclear whether FHWA has approved the US 83 corridor NW to Laredo as a "future" I-2 (haven't heard anything resembling this so far) but extension work commences west of the current terminus.   If that happens, the 25-year rule may be applicable there -- unless TXDOT simply builds freeway segments continuing west:  they'll attach, one after another, to previous I-2 sections, satisfying that requirement  -- and gets them officially designated one at a time without a formally proposed corridor. 

On another side TX note -- it's a good thing I-14 is also HPC 84 and thus not bound by the 25-year rule; if it wasn't, the backers would probably just pack it in, say "nice try", and go home.   :-/

Bobby5280

I wonder how federal funding would be stipulated under that 25 year rule. If an entire corridor was being built using the old 90-10 fed/state percentage split, then yeah, a 25 year deadline for completion might seem reasonable. If states are having to scrape much more of the funding together on their own then any 25 year deadline needs to be tossed. Under the current road building model it can easily take more than 25 years just to get some modest little bypass around a town built.

LM117

I'm starting to think it's a case of one hand at NCDOT not knowing what the other hand is doing. I obviously don't work for or have any 'inside' access to NCDOT, but I find it hard to believe that the US-70 Corridor Commission would be thanking NCDOT's chief engineer Tim Little for getting the Goldsboro Bypass approved as I-42 if there wasn't any truth to it. Hell, Little attended the Commission's meetings himself.

sprjus4

The US-70 Goldsboro bypass meets interstate standards and connects to another interstate highway (I-795).

There's no reason it shouldn't be signed.

Another segment that should be signed is the US-70 Clayton Bypass. Meets interstate standards and connects to another interstate highway (I-40).

They signed I-87 on the segment that meets interstate standards because it meet the standards and connected to I-440 & I-40.

X99

Quote from: sprjus4 on October 30, 2019, 05:26:58 PM
The US-70 Goldsboro bypass meets interstate standards and connects to another interstate highway (I-795).

Another segment that should be signed is the US-70 Clayton Bypass. Meets interstate standards and connects to another interstate highway (I-40).

They signed I-87 on the segment that meets interstate standards because it meet the standards and connected to I-440 & I-40.
Maybe that's the reason they signed it, because it connects to TWO other major routes.
why are there only like 5 people on this forum from south dakota

sprjus4

Quote from: X99 on October 31, 2019, 10:16:12 AM

Maybe that's the reason they signed it, because it connects to TWO other major routes.
Given NCDOT's decision to sign I-87 along the I-440 beltline to connect directly with I-40, I'm shocked they don't overlap I-42 along I-40 and terminate it at the I-87 / I-40 interchange.

That way - I-40, I-42, and I-87 at connect at one junction  :bigass:

And for I-87, not only does it connect with I-40 and I-440, it also has an interchange with I-540. If I-87 gets fully built out, it'll connect with I-40, I-440, I-540, I-587, I-95, I-64, and I-464. Likewise, I-42 would connect with I-40, NC-540, I-95, and I-795.

wdcrft63

Quote from: sprjus4 on October 31, 2019, 04:29:34 PM
Quote from: X99 on October 31, 2019, 10:16:12 AM

Given NCDOT's decision to sign I-87 along the I-440 beltline to connect directly with I-40, I'm shocked they don't overlap I-42 along I-40 and terminate it at the I-87 / I-40 interchange.

That way - I-40, I-42, and I-87 at connect at one junction  :bigass:

And for I-87, not only does it connect with I-40 and I-440, it also has an interchange with I-540. If I-87 gets fully built out, it'll connect with I-40, I-440, I-540, I-587, I-95, I-64, and I-464. Likewise, I-42 would connect with I-40, NC-540, I-95, and I-795.
I-40 is being widened currently between I-440 and I-42, so maybe this section could be signed as I-42 when the project is complete.

tolbs17

I've been always thinking of running I-42 to Durham. I think it needs more than I-85. But yeah. bringing I-42 to I-440 would seek more people trying to go to the beach. It's like saying you want I-587 to come to Raleigh and not end in Zebulon. Something like I-44 or I-46 would work.

Maybe we can push NCDOT to bring I-42 to I-440 and not to end at I-40?   :biggrin:

sparker

Quote from: mrhappy1261 on October 31, 2019, 08:43:37 PM
I've been always thinking of running I-42 to Durham. I think it needs more than I-85. But yeah. bringing I-42 to I-440 would seek more people trying to go to the beach. It's like saying you want I-587 to come to Raleigh and not end in Zebulon. Something like I-44 or I-46 would work.

Maybe we can push NCDOT to bring I-42 to I-440 and not to end at I-40?   :biggrin:

Or -- at least place I-42 trailblazers (as in "East I-40 TO I-42") on the appropriate BGS' along I-440.   That would probably suffice without a gratuitous multiplex.   

Bobby5280

Quote from: X99Maybe that's the reason they signed it, because it connects to TWO other major routes.

There are other examples of short stubs of new Interstate highways that connect to only one other Interstate route. I-69 has numerous examples (I-24 in Kentucky, I-37 in Texas, etc).

wdcrft63

Come to think of it...If US 70 continues to run concurrent with I-40 and I-42 between Raleigh and Smithfield, then the need to bring I-42 up to I-440 is diminished. It would create a triple concurrence I-40/I-42/US 70 that seems excessive.

sprjus4

Quote from: wdcrft63 on November 01, 2019, 05:58:47 PM

Come to think of it...If US 70 continues to run concurrent with I-40 and I-42 between Raleigh and Smithfield, then the need to bring I-42 up to I-440 is diminished. It would create a triple concurrence I-40/I-42/US 70 that seems excessive.
Here's a (fictional, not happening) idea.

Put I-42 on the NC-540 beltway between I-40 / US-70 and NC-147, then up NC-147 to the East End Connector to I-85, replacing I-885.

In regards to your comment though about I-40 / US-70, it's no different than when they put I-87 on I-440 / US-64.

BrianP

Quote from: sprjus4 on November 01, 2019, 06:02:15 PMIn regards to your comment though about I-40 / US-70, it's no different than when they put I-87 on I-440 / US-64.
It's different. I-87 would have ended at a 3di.  I-42 will not end at a 3di.

LM117

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2019/2019-11-08-craven-county-highway-ramps-improvements.aspx

QuoteNEW BERN — As work continues to upgrade a Craven County highway to interstate standards, a few entrance and exit ramps will be closed for about 12 hours Monday.

Between 6:30 a.m. and 7 p.m. Nov. 11, the U.S. 70 East entrance and exit ramps at Clarks Road, as well as the U.S. 70 East exit ramp onto U.S. 17 will be closed.

Detours for each are as follows:

U.S. 70 East wanting to access Clarks Road: continue on U.S. 70 East for about two miles. Take Exit 411 (N.C. 43). Make a left at the end of the ramp to go over the bridge. Turn onto U.S. 70 West, travel about two miles until Exit 409 (Clarks Road).

Clarks Road wanting to access U.S. 70 East: take the ramp to get on U.S. 70 West. Travel about 2.5 miles to exit onto Tuscarora Rhems Road. At the top of the ramp, make a left, go over the bridge and make another left to get onto U.S. 70 East.

U.S. 70 East wanting to access U.S. 17: continue on U.S. 70 East for about one mile to Exit 411 (N.C. 43). Drivers will take a left at the top of the ramp, go over the bridge and make another left onto U.S. 70 West. Travel about one mile and take Exit 410A (U.S. 17 South).

Drivers should anticipate needing extra time for their commute Monday. NCDOT also urges drivers to use caution when driving near the construction.

This construction is part of the project to bring U.S. 70 up to interstate standards. Crews are widening shoulders, as well as milling and repaving the highway, which will be renamed Interstate 42. The project in Craven County is 32 miles long and costs $25.5 million.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.