Canada to reopen borders to nonessential travel- first to Americans

Started by ozarkman417, July 19, 2021, 08:57:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakeroot

I was in BC again with my girlfriend from Sunday to Tuesday. I was surprised by the uptick in mask-wearing. When I was last up in August, it was about 50/50 at a lot of places.

Since vaccine proof is required at virtually every restaurant and private entity (shopping centers notwithstanding), I showed my scanned vaccine card quite a bit. People weren't too impressed with the lack of any application on the part of the US government. One host straight-up said, "the BC app is a lot better" (to which I assume he means way clearer than my complete lack of an app.)

andrepoiy

Apparently I'd need a covid test to get back into Canada even after the border reopens... That kinda sucks because a travel covid test costs about $150 so it's kind of not worth it.

oscar

Quote from: jakeroot on October 15, 2021, 10:27:03 PM
People weren't too impressed with the lack of any application on the part of the US government. One host straight-up said, "the BC app is a lot better" (to which I assume he means way clearer than my complete lack of an app.)

You could've told them that only a few U.S. states have "vaccine passport" apps -- about as many states that forbid them. (No national app on either side of the border -- it's up to the provinces in Canada, and the states in the U.S.)

One of the provinces I visited earlier this month, Quebec, has rolled out a vaccine passport app (the other, Ontario, was still working on it when I was there). However, the Quebec app is available only to Quebec residents, maybe it's tied to a provincial database with vax information. Non-residents can just present paper proof of vaccination, along with proof of non-residency. I don't know if Quebec makes similar accommodations for residents without smartphones.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

JayhawkCO

Quote from: oscar on October 17, 2021, 06:47:44 PM
People weren't too impressed with the lack of any application on the part of the US government. One host straight-up said, "the BC app is a lot better" (to which I assume he means way clearer than my complete lack of an app.)

You could've told them that only a few U.S. states have "vaccine passport" apps -- about as many states that forbid them. (No national app on either side of the border -- it's up to the provinces in Canada, and the states in the U.S.)

One of the provinces I visited earlier this month, Quebec, has rolled out a vaccine passport app (the other, Ontario, was still working on it when I was there). However, the Quebec app is available only to Quebec residents, maybe it's tied to a provincial database with vax information. Non-residents can just present paper proof of vaccination, along with proof of non-residency. I don't know if Quebec makes similar accommodations for residents without smartphones.

Similar story for PEI.  Only PEI residents can use their app so I just had to show my card everywhere I went.

Chris

kalvado

Quote from: jayhawkco on October 17, 2021, 06:51:32 PM

Similar story for PEI.  Only PEI residents can use their app so I just had to show my card everywhere I went.

Chris
An idea behind those apps that encrypted QR code doesn't require database access to be shared, only encryption key should be confirmed. In principle, all such keys could be shared between jurisdictions without too much concern, and apps could be cross-recognized. I believe Europe is actually doing that. Someone may try scanning NY app in QC and see what happens

kkt

Quote from: kalvado on October 17, 2021, 06:58:09 PM

Chris
An idea behind those apps that encrypted QR code doesn't require database access to be shared, only encryption key should be confirmed. In principle, all such keys could be shared between jurisdictions without too much concern, and apps could be cross-recognized. I believe Europe is actually doing that. Someone may try scanning NY app in QC and see what happens

Right, and computer networks never fail.

kalvado

Quote from: kkt on October 17, 2021, 07:11:17 PM
Quote from: kalvado on October 17, 2021, 06:58:09 PM

Chris

Right, and computer networks never fail.
There is no need for the network to be involved.
My QR code would have a secure message "Kalvado, DOB 02-29-1977, vaccination valid till 04-31-2022" signed by NYS digital signature.
All that the scanner needs to know is that the NYS signature is a valid one - uploaded to scanner when/if NYS and QC signed some legal document, and provided each other signature certificates.
  Scanner base of signatures may need periodic updates - signatures for new entrants, or if signature is compromised by the data breach - but that doesn't have to be a frequent thing. Once a day or once a week/month, maybe, nothing like being online to verify.

vdeane

Plus even the states that have electronic systems are using the app as a convenience for people who don't want to bring their card everywhere - not as a required replacement for the card.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

kalvado

Quote from: vdeane on October 17, 2021, 09:32:24 PM

Plus even the states that have electronic systems are using the app as a convenience for people who don't want to bring their card everywhere - not as a required replacement for the card.
Did you ever had to show the app?
The only case when I had to present mine was for HR, and they didn't have any tools beyond naked eye to verify information, basically taking my word for everything once I flashed the app.

vdeane

I've never had to set up the app.  I have my card in my wallet should I ever need it, but the only time I have ever needed it was to scan it for work when the state mandate went into effect.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

kalvado

A stupid question for those who was in Canada for a short trip:
Can you use same test to cross the border both ways if you're in Canada for a day or so and return to US within 72 hours of testing?

JayhawkCO

Quote from: kalvado on October 22, 2021, 01:58:11 PM
Can you use same test to cross the border both ways if you're in Canada for a day or so and return to US within 72 hours of testing?

No test is required to enter the U.S.

Chris

Evan_Th

Quote from: jayhawkco on October 22, 2021, 02:00:23 PM

Chris

Last I checked, it's required to enter by air - but it isn't by land.  Not sure if you can use the same test both ways if you're flying.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: Evan_Th on October 22, 2021, 02:26:35 PM

Chris

Last I checked, it's required to enter by air - but it isn't by land.  Not sure if you can use the same test both ways if you're flying.

You're right.  I was thinking "short trip" and the fact we're on a roads forum meant driving across.  I shouldn't assume.

Chris

kalvado

Quote from: jayhawkco on October 22, 2021, 02:30:31 PM
Quote from: Evan_Th on October 22, 2021, 02:26:35 PM

Chris

You're right.  I was thinking "short trip" and the fact we're on a roads forum meant driving across.  I shouldn't assume.

Chris
Actually you assumed correctly, I am thinking about a drive to Montreal. Thanks for response.
But someone else may have different circumstances, though.

US 41

Quote from: andrepoiy on October 17, 2021, 06:00:08 PM
Apparently I'd need a covid test to get back into Canada even after the border reopens... That kinda sucks because a travel covid test costs about $150 so it's kind of not worth it.

Until things are (hopefully) normal again, I don't see myself visiting Canada anytime soon. It basically seems as if you can go if you really want to, but that they make it difficult enough that you sort of know you aren't really welcome there, and to where it's just not worth it.

Mexico is as easy as ever to get into by land from what I've heard. Of course you have to wear a mask depending on where you are at, but that's not a big deal. I am hoping to make it south of the border later this winter.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

JayhawkCO

Quote from: US 41 on November 10, 2021, 11:37:13 AM
Quote from: andrepoiy on October 17, 2021, 06:00:08 PM

Until things are (hopefully) normal again, I don't see myself visiting Canada anytime soon. It basically seems as if you can go if you really want to, but that they make it difficult enough that you sort of know you aren't really welcome there, and to where it's just not worth it.

Mexico is as easy as ever to get into by land from what I've heard. Of course you have to wear a mask depending on where you are at, but that's not a big deal. I am hoping to make it south of the border later this winter.

I found going across very easy and I felt 100% welcomed.  ArriveCan is a snap.  The individual provinces that required extra info (PEI and New Brunswick) were easy too.  Only real "headache" was making sure I had a Covid test less than 72 hours from me being in Canada.  I was just worried I wouldn't get the results in time, but part of that was my own routing where I was driving there from Philly and didn't know exactly what time I would get there, so I had to put a little buffer in.

At the border between Vermont and Quebec, I was actually at the border control station for less than 3 minutes, which is 100% a record for me entering Canada.

Chris

AsphaltPlanet

Considering how easy it is to get a free covid test at a pharmacy in the US, I wouldn't really worry to much about visiting Canada.

I suspect that Canada is going to relax its testing requirements for vaccinated travelers in the coming weeks as well.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

Rothman

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on November 10, 2021, 10:26:44 PM
Considering how easy it is to get a free covid test at a pharmacy in the US, I wouldn't really worry to much about visiting Canada.

I suspect that Canada is going to relax its testing requirements for vaccinated travelers in the coming weeks as well.
Getting the test is easy.  Getting the results back in time for their 72-hour window does cause some nail-biting.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

jakeroot

Yeah, I can get a test done prior to going to Canada, and try to time it right. So far, no issue. But getting one while in Canada to get back in seems like a pain in the ass.

Speaking of which: I'm not required to get a COVID test to return to the US, right?

AsphaltPlanet

Quote from: Rothman on November 10, 2021, 10:36:27 PM

Getting the test is easy.  Getting the results back in time for their 72-hour window does cause some nail-biting.

Canada accepts NAAT tests, so you can order a rapid test from Walgreens and get the results back in about two hours.  Or at least that was my experience earlier today.

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/flying-canada-checklist/covid-19-testing-travellers-coming-into-canada
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

Rothman

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on November 10, 2021, 11:49:14 PM
Quote from: Rothman on November 10, 2021, 10:36:27 PM

Canada accepts NAAT tests, so you can order a rapid test from Walgreens and get the results back in about two hours.  Or at least that was my experience earlier today.

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/flying-canada-checklist/covid-19-testing-travellers-coming-into-canada
Ah, I see.  That wasn't the case a couple of months ago when they only took PCRs.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

AsphaltPlanet

Fair enough, I only have recent experience since the land border only opened to me earlier this week.

oscar

Quote from: jakeroot on November 10, 2021, 10:50:30 PM
Yeah, I can get a test done prior to going to Canada, and try to time it right. So far, no issue. But getting one while in Canada to get back in seems like a pain in the ass.

Speaking of which: I'm not required to get a COVID test to return to the US, right?

Right, if you're a U.S. citizen returning at a land crossing. I did that last month at International Falls MN, not a peep about any Covid requirements.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

AsphaltPlanet

When I crossed at the Detroit-Windsor Tunnel on Monday the agent only asked me about being vaccinated as an afterthought and didn't ask to see any proof. He did ask me if I had a test for my return trip to Canada and then let me know that I could probably be tested for free in the US.

I was the first car in line at the border station on Monday. I'm not sure if I've ever had an easier crossing interview. The border guard didn't ask me any details at all about my trip.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.