News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

NIMBYism

Started by vdeane, October 19, 2018, 02:09:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vdeane

The webcomic SMBC did a strip on NIMBYs yesterday.  Who knew that NIMBYism drove the expansion of human civilization?
http://www.smbc-comics.com/comic/nimby
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

kalvado

I always thought laziness is the greatest human asset. After all, it took someone who was too lazy to carry stuff on his back to invent a wheel...

abefroman329

Quote from: kalvado on October 19, 2018, 03:12:40 PM
I always thought laziness is the greatest human asset. After all, it took someone who was too lazy to carry stuff on his back to invent a wheel...
That's not laziness, that's efficiency. Human factory workers aren't being replaced with robots because they're lazy.

Henry

That certainly is an interesting take on the subject! I found the caveman part hilarious: "You no build speartips near cave/cave area not zoned for industrial or commercial activity!" The glacier part was good too: "Thag, me not want to live on glacier."/"But land use restrictions minimal!" So I guess it's safe to say that long before automobiles even existed, NIMBYism always existed, in one form or another.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

abefroman329

Quote from: Henry on October 26, 2018, 09:22:10 AMSo I guess it's safe to say that long before automobiles even existed, NIMBYism always existed, in one form or another.
Governments in the US began using eminent domain to seize land to build the railroads.

Brandon

Quote from: abefroman329 on October 26, 2018, 09:34:32 AM
Quote from: Henry on October 26, 2018, 09:22:10 AMSo I guess it's safe to say that long before automobiles even existed, NIMBYism always existed, in one form or another.

Governments in the US began using eminent domain to seize land to build the railroads.

Prior to that, canals, and before that, post roads (and more).
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

sparker

Quote from: Brandon on October 26, 2018, 10:06:12 AM
Quote from: abefroman329 on October 26, 2018, 09:34:32 AM

Prior to that, canals, and before that, post roads (and more).

Those were more or less predecessors to actual "eminent domain" -- simple land appropriation by fiat before actual property titles were dispersed (and often without compensation provision).  Essentially the root cause of any and all conflicts with the native population. 

Bruce

Sometimes NIMBYs become a bit too extreme.

Recently, we've had fireworks in construction equipment and death threats for DOT employees because of a bicycle lane on an arterial street...one that is used by bicyclists and would benefit from a lane to separate traffic. In another quadrant of the city, there was a fatal shooting of a man described by the shooter as a "neighborhood nuisance".

1995hoo

A local newscaster here used to refer to the extreme NIMBYs as "BANANAs": Build Absolutely Nothing Anywhere Near Anybody.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

qguy

SMBC seems to be arguing that NIMBYism is good because it causes sprawl. I thought sprawl was bad.

sparker

Quote from: qguy on October 28, 2018, 05:29:15 PM
SMBC seems to be arguing that NIMBYism is good because it causes sprawl. I thought sprawl was bad.

Not really (regarding the comic's intent, not sprawl itself).  NIMBY activities, if successful, more often than not result in the relocation of developmental activities elsewhere out of the NIMBY activists' parvenu.  It doesn't cause sprawl -- it simply transfers it.  But the conclusion of the cartoon (clearly referencing Elon Musk's "SpaceX venture") is that since Musk & imitators can't spread their creative wings at home, they're moving outward (space) where there's less of a chance of opposition, which doesn't seem to sit well with either of the comic's characters.  Hard to see sprawl promotion here -- just the recognition that it does happen!

qguy

Quote from: sparker on October 28, 2018, 07:02:26 PM
Quote from: qguy on October 28, 2018, 05:29:15 PM
Not really (regarding the comic's intent, not sprawl itself).  NIMBY activities, if successful, more often than not result in the relocation of developmental activities elsewhere out of the NIMBY activists' parvenu.  It doesn't cause sprawl -- it simply transfers it.  But the conclusion of the cartoon (clearly referencing Elon Musk's "SpaceX venture") is that since Musk & imitators can't spread their creative wings at home, they're moving outward (space) where there's less of a chance of opposition, which doesn't seem to sit well with either of the comic's characters.  Hard to see sprawl promotion here -- just the recognition that it does happen!

Meta-sprawl then?  :-D

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.