News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

NTSB Brief on July 2013 Bay Bridge Accident

Started by roadman, March 27, 2014, 04:02:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman

"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

BrianP

From the Brief:
QuoteConstruction costs for a new crossing are estimated to be $4 billion
Ouch!

QuoteThe first bridge had two lanes, was opened on July 30, 1952, and cost $45 million. The second bridge had three lanes, was a "modernized look alike", and cost $148 million, and opened on June 28, 1973.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com/Chesapeake_Bay_Bridge.html

And just yesterday:
Tractor-trailer crash jams Chesapeake Bay Bridge
That one was on the westbound span.

cpzilliacus

Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

hbelkins

I've never felt unsafe crossing the Bay Bridge. Apparently that's not a normal feeling.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: hbelkins on March 27, 2014, 09:52:32 PM
I've never felt unsafe crossing the Bay Bridge. Apparently that's not a normal feeling.

Nor I. 

Though I go out of my way to avoid driving east on the westbound span - that is not a pleasant experience.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Mr_Northside

Quote from: cpzilliacus on March 27, 2014, 10:34:01 PM
Though I go out of my way to avoid driving east on the westbound span - that is not a pleasant experience.

That's one of the things that can suck about using the Express EZ-Pass lane.  The last 2 times I've used it (once in '12, once in '13 - both summer) it was automatically shunted into the contra-flow lane of the WB span, and I wasn't gonna try running over cones to avoid it.  I mean, it isn't really *that* bad, but I'd prefer to be on the EB span (but apparently not enough to decide to wait in toll booth lines).
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Mr_Northside on March 28, 2014, 03:14:56 PM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on March 27, 2014, 10:34:01 PM

That's one of the things that can suck about using the Express EZ-Pass lane.  The last 2 times I've used it (once in '12, once in '13 - both summer) it was automatically shunted into the contra-flow lane of the WB span, and I wasn't gonna try running over cones to avoid it.  I mean, it isn't really *that* bad, but I'd prefer to be on the EB span (but apparently not enough to decide to wait in toll booth lines).

I don't use that left E-ZPass lane for precisely that reason.

What I have found works the best to avoid the contraflow lane when headed east is to get as far to the right as possible.  There is usually an E-ZPass only lane open, and the further to the right, the less waiting time.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.