News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

New York State Thruway

Started by Zeffy, September 22, 2014, 12:00:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vdeane

There was a bill to make 34A-39 free, but only for Syracuse area residents who purchase a commuter plan.  49-50 would have been added to the free zone if the Williamsville ORT/barrier move project happened.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

kalvado

Quote from: SignBridge on August 26, 2017, 10:40:02 PM
I think Alps summed it up pretty well. Each agency will have to work out the glitches in their own way. Makes sense to do it one step at a time, and not rush into it large scale and then be overwhelmed by all the resulting glitches. Especially as there is no major urgency in getting this done.
A good point about billing practices. However - once one barrier is in full effect - those procedures should be worked out reasonably quickly I would think.
And as it was already mentioned, mainline Thruway has an entirely different set on problems from billing algorithms to HR issues with hundreds of toll collectors. And barriers are not really providing help with resolving those issues.
All I am really trying to do here is to make sense out of one single word...
Quote from: Alps on August 26, 2017, 09:54:04 PM
Not quite. The Tap is AET. They're working on two other barrier tolls. The entire ticketed system is going to follow, but they want to get it right first by having test cases at the few locations outside the system.

cl94

No, they're still test cases because each state and region has its own issues. A big issue NYSTA has (that will be put to the test once the Grand Island barriers go up) is the large number of users from around the country and the world in the Buffalo area. Can they enforce bills sent to Canadian users? And what about people in rental cars; how will the state tourism industry react to the massive AET fees the rental companies charge?
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

kalvado

Quote from: cl94 on August 27, 2017, 08:52:56 PM
No, they're still test cases because each state and region has its own issues. A big issue NYSTA has (that will be put to the test once the Grand Island barriers go up) is the large number of users from around the country and the world in the Buffalo area. Can they enforce bills sent to Canadian users? And what about people in rental cars; how will the state tourism industry react to the massive AET fees the rental companies charge?
On one hand this negates earlier "throw them a bone" comment; on the other hand, Florida can tell how tolls affect tourist flow. And I assume even MA turnpike has enough of ON and QC registered vehicles to talk about Canada billing. I expect even Tappan Zee has enough Canadian plates for any test...
Other license plates... I wouldn't worry too much, but consulting with TX authorities regarding Mexican plates may be a better idea.

Buffaboy

I wonder why they aren't keeping some of the booths while converting the rest of the lanes to AET, as is the case in Spring Valley.
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

RobbieL2415

KM MPs and distances for exits should be OK. The Federal government did legally standardize the Metric system in the 70s I believe.

seicer

The Boston Globe has some information about those out of country plates.

"No, says Jacquelyn Goddard, spokeswoman for the state's transportation department. The state will be tracking Canadian license plates, and the bill will arrive in the mail.

Of course, people from out of state or out of country can also get an E-ZPass Massachusetts transponder for their cars. There's no residency requirement, so anyone can get the corresponding discounts."

kalvado

And whatever that worth - https://www.tollsbymailny.com , official toll collection web site for NYS, has no option for plate from countries other than US and Canada. Looks like Canada somehow agreed with US toll billing practices, and for NYS you can safely disregard Mexico as a source of traffic...
I wonder if those by-plate billing systems are going to merge at some point. Definitely easier than full tag compatibility...

SectorZ

Quote from: seicer on September 05, 2017, 09:27:32 AM

"No, says Jacquelyn Goddard, spokeswoman for the state's transportation department. The state will be tracking Canadian license plates, and the bill will arrive in the mail.

Of course, people from out of state or out of country can also get an E-ZPass Massachusetts transponder for their cars. There's no residency requirement, so anyone can get the corresponding discounts."

It's a little disturbing when countries can't cooperate on so many important things, but sharing who a car is registered to for the purpose of collecting $3 they can.

kalvado

Quote from: SectorZ on September 05, 2017, 04:57:46 PM
Quote from: seicer on September 05, 2017, 09:27:32 AM

It's a little disturbing when countries can't cooperate on so many important things, but sharing who a car is registered to for the purpose of collecting $3 they can.
a. it is US and Canada only, quite good neighbors.
b. probably state-level reciprocity is involved. as far as I remember, NYS would know about a ticket in ON or QC, but not in FL or CA. Can be NY and MA negotiating with Canadian provinces,as federal government has not much to do with toll roads.
c. I wouldn't be surprised (or better say "I hope"), if some proxy entry exists across the border, and actual personal information not shared. 

machias

Quote from: ParrDa on September 05, 2017, 08:13:08 PM
Did anyone else have the amazing privilege of traveling on the thruway over labor day weekend?  :spin:

Drove it on Friday from MP 496 to MP 148 and it was amateur hour the entire way. Driving home we opted for I-88 to I-86 and picked up I-90 near Erie, Pa. This was a much better experience.

seicer

I opted for the Thruway coming from the Mass Pike to I-88 in the middle of the night Monday. No traffic, no cops, no problem (for once).

02 Park Ave

I drove up to Newburgh from South Jersey on Sunday.  Hit heavy drizzle right at the state line leaving Mahwah.  Only traffic problem for me on the Thruway was a New Yorker doing 60 in the left lane.  It took a while to get around him.  Traffic going south from Newburgh to Harriman was very heavy.  This was around 1:30 pm.

Returning on Monday, I took 9W and the PIP to northbound Thruway to GSP.  No problems but saw that the southbound Thruway was just about at a standstill.  This was around 4:30 pm.
C-o-H

vdeane

I drove from I-87 to I-490 Saturday and had no problems.  Relatively light traffic, hardly even had to turn off the cruise control during the trip.  Came back Monday and traffic was heavy but it wasn't as bad as last year (I may have left an hour earlier, though).

Overall I'm getting tired on having to make that 225 mile long trip (each way) several times per year.  Oddly enough, the part from Syracuse to Albany, despite being more scenic and less traffic, is the part that annoys me.  Probably because it's the part that tells me I live so far away from home.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

cl94

I did 24-49 Friday afternoon and it was hell. Bumper to bumper traffic west of Herkimer made me think I was on I-81 in Virginia.

I took US 6/11 and I-88 back east on Monday to avoid the mess (would have taken I-86/88, but wanted new miles and a chance to check out a few rail viaducts). Do 6 was much better than it usually is.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Jim

Quote from: ParrDa on September 06, 2017, 05:44:08 PM
What's wrong with I81 in Virginia? Both times I've been on it there was no major traffic issues :confused:

It wasn't my comment (this time) but I'll answer with my experiences.  There are usually a ton of trucks and with all the hills, they go 85 down one hill then 45 up the next and take both lanes to do it.  That and the I-81 corridor seems much more prone to hazardous weather than many other places (fog, snow squalls, to name some I've encountered).
Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

cl94

Quote from: Jim on September 06, 2017, 05:47:41 PM
Quote from: ParrDa on September 06, 2017, 05:44:08 PM
What's wrong with I81 in Virginia? Both times I've been on it there was no major traffic issues :confused:

It wasn't my comment (this time) but I'll answer with my experiences.  There are usually a ton of trucks and with all the hills, they go 85 down one hill then 45 up the next and take both lanes to do it.  That and the I-81 corridor seems much more prone to hazardous weather than many other places (fog, snow squalls, to name some I've encountered).

Basically, yes. I-81 is a frequent subject of complaints on this forum for that reason.

Snappyjack

I was on the Thruway from 24 to PA on Friday between 12:30-5:30 and had no problems until I got into rush hour traffic in Buffalo...slowed right down past 290 all the way to just past 190, then slow again around 219. Past there, smooth sailing.

roadman

Did anyone else have the amazing privilege of traveling on the thruway over labor day weekend?  :spin:
Drove it on late Sunday morning between the Saw Mill River Parkway and the I-87/I-287 split in Suffern.  Traffic was heavy but not terribly slow - save for a couple of large pickup trucks with even larger camper trailers that were hogging the left lane.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

PHLBOS

Did anyone else have the amazing privilege of traveling on the thruway over labor day weekend?
I did... twice.  Friday from the GSP to the I-87/287 split in Tarrytown and Sunday the opposite (& rode the new bridge span for the 2nd time since it opened).  I encountered no real traffic issues nor slowdowns.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

SignBridge

I didn't drive it but I listened to the Thruway Authority's New York Division radio frequency all weekend. That's everything south of New Paltz. They were very busy with disabled vehicles, accidents, a couple of State Police pursuits and at least one wrong-way driver. The Thruway's dispatchers earned their pay this week for sure.

route17fan

John Krakoff - Cleveland, Ohio

cl94

Highlights from the conversion:

- EB-NB traffic no longer gets tolled twice. I assume they'll be tacking the $1.25 onto the ticket picked up at the mainline barrier
- 2-lane plaza being constructed for SB-WB traffic east of the current plaza
- Provisions are explicitly provided for future conversion of the ticket system to AET. However, with NYSTA constructing a new plaza, such a conversion is likely still a while away.

Alps

Also worth noting with the conversion of 16 that the NY 17/32 interchange is also going into Design-Build at the same time. A whole lot of construction going on for a whole different functionality when it's all done.

storm2k

Quote from: route17fan on October 24, 2017, 07:13:28 PM
Here are plans to convert the Harriman toll plaza to AET: D214537 http://www.thruway.ny.gov/business/contractors/documents/index.shtml

It's actually 214587. I couldn't find the other number on there and it threw me off for a second.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.