News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Bellaire Bridge to finally be demolished

Started by BrianP, March 29, 2013, 01:14:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrianP

QuoteThe case involving Bellaire Bridge owner Lee Chaklos is set for federal trial in Columbus next month after Chaklos pleaded innocent to an indictment charge of criminal contempt.

Chaklos had been scheduled to appear before the court on Oct. 11 for a show cause hearing on the criminal contempt charge.

But in an order filed Friday, Judge Algenon L. Marbley of the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio continued the Oct. 11 hearing, noting Chaklos had pleaded innocent.

The judge's order set Chaklos' new court date for 10 a.m. Nov. 12 with a pre-trial conference set for 3 p.m. Nov. 5.
http://www.theintelligencer.net/page/content.detail/id/590771/Trial-Set-for-Bellaire-Bridge-Owner.html?nav=510

BrianP

QuoteJudge Algenon L. Marbley did not offer a ruling Wednesday at the conclusion of the trial. He instead gave counsel in the case until Dec. 9 to submit briefs, and each attorney has until Dec. 16 to respond to the opposing brief, according to Guida.
http://www.theintelligencer.net/page/content.detail/id/592193.html

Crazy Volvo Guy

Hopefully this can stay tied up in court until someone comes forward with cash and the intention of preserving or even better, reopening it.  A bridge that was not closed due to structural issues should not be demolished.
I hate Clearview, because it looks like a cheap Chinese ripoff.

I'm for the Red Sox and whoever's playing against the Yankees.

SteveG1988

Quote from: Crazy Volvo Guy on December 06, 2013, 12:38:12 PM
Hopefully this can stay tied up in court until someone comes forward with cash and the intention of preserving or even better, reopening it.  A bridge that was not closed due to structural issues should not be demolished.

The problem is...it has issues now due to the fact that it has not had maintence in decades. To restore it would require more money than the bridge is worth to people, since it doesn't actually connect to anything any more, and to do so would require a lot of work
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

getemngo

Quote from: SteveG1988 on December 06, 2013, 12:51:03 PM
Quote from: Crazy Volvo Guy on December 06, 2013, 12:38:12 PM

The problem is...it has issues now due to the fact that it has not had maintence in decades. To restore it would require more money than the bridge is worth to people, since it doesn't actually connect to anything any more, and to do so would require a lot of work

It would be interesting to see how much work it needs, especially when it was in pristine condition when it closed. (For instance, salt was never used on its surface.) But I'm stumped as to how you'd connect the west end to the streets that are there now - that's why it closed in the first place, because the current OH 7 disrupted its path. It could be preserved as a landmark, maybe, but restoring vehicle traffic would take more than it's worth.
~ Sam from Michigan

BrianP

Bankruptcy for Bridge Owners
http://www.theintelligencer.net/page/content.detail/id/597624.html
QuoteOwners of the Bellaire Bridge have filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy, a move that means they must soon liquidate all the assets of their company, the Delta Demolition Group Inc.
QuoteLee and Krystal Chaklos of Virginia Beach, Va., however, own the bridge through a separate company, KDC Investments.
QuoteBriefs in the criminal contempt case were filed by attorneys in December, and Judge Algenon Marbley has yet to rule in the matter.

BrianP

Bridge Owner Found Guilty of criminal contempt
QuoteBenwood officials believe legal matters will delay the bridge's demolition for the foreseeable future.
QuoteLongwell said the city's best chance for demolition would have to come via help from federal or state government, and city leaders do have a case to present to them.

SteveG1988

Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

Pete from Boston

I feel like the thread title needs to be changed.

BrianP

Let's try this again shall we?
http://wtov9.com/news/local/could-the-bellaire-bridge-soon-come-down

QuoteBenwood Police Chief Frank Longwell said a judge ordered a feasibility study on the bridge. He hopes once that study is complete, the dilapidated bridge will be torn down.
QuoteLongwell says the feasibility study will probably take place within the next month.
Similar story:
http://www.theintelligencer.net/news/top-headlines/2018/03/u-s-district-judge-reopens-talks-on-bellaire-bridge/

Of course this was back in March so it's already been almost two months since then. 

SteveG1988

Someone should make a website like the old abe vigoda one, where it will just say "bellaire bridge Up" or "bellaire bridge down"
Roads Clinched

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.