News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Erroneous road signs

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 04:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cu2010

NY's got quite a few US/state route signage errors. I actually remember driving up I-81, and pulling off of the freeway to get gas, and right at the bottom of the ramp, I saw a nice, shiny, sparkly, brand new...NY 11 shield.

The offramp from the other direction? Also had a nice, shiny, sparkly, brand new NY 11 shield.  :D
This is cu2010, reminding you, help control the ugly sign population, don't have your shields spayed or neutered.

agentsteel53

QuoteMilwaukie

that is not an error, but it certainly looks like one.  There is also Zilwaukee, Michigan.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

okroads

Quote from: cu2010 on July 12, 2009, 10:58:32 PM
NY's got quite a few US/state route signage errors. I actually remember driving up I-81, and pulling off of the freeway to get gas, and right at the bottom of the ramp, I saw a nice, shiny, sparkly, brand new...NY 11 shield.

The offramp from the other direction? Also had a nice, shiny, sparkly, brand new NY 11 shield.  :D

U.S. 62 is signed as NY 62 a few times in Niagara Falls.

Bickendan

Quote from: xonhulu on July 12, 2009, 09:18:08 PM

Be careful you don't miss the US 82 sign.  If you exit the freeway and head east, you'll never see it -- it's on eastbound 82 one block after the highway's start off US 30, posted on a railroad overpass.  It's been there for years, so they don't seem to be in a hurry to fix the mistake.

I probably won't be driving, so we'll probably miss that one. But iirc, there is a standalone US 82 trailblazer further east past OR 207.

mightyace

Tennessee has an annoying habit of signing primary state highways as secondary and vice-versa.

However, it doesn't help that there is no apparent criteria for a number being a primary or secondary.

For example, TN 254 is a primary but TN 253 and 255 are secondaries.

Also, the same number is sometimes used for both types, though usually when the grade of highway changes.  For example, Briley Parkway around Nashville is TN primary 155 but the arterial portion of the loop (Whitebridge Rd., Woodmont Blvd., Thompson Lane) is TN secondary 255.  Also, from TN 100 north through Dickson TN 46 is a primary route and signed N-S.  A few miles east of TN Primary 46's southern end is the Western end of TN secondary 46, also at TN 100 near the current terminus of the western stub of TN 840.  And, TN secondary 46 is signed E-W!

I'll try and get some pictures to post.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

xonhulu

Quote from: okroads on July 13, 2009, 07:20:03 AM
U.S. 62 is signed as NY 62 a few times in Niagara Falls.

Ya mean like this?

US71

I'll have to post the photo later, but I found US 93 near Texarkana  :spin:
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Michael

Quote from: cu2010 on July 12, 2009, 10:58:32 PM

Where on I-81?

froggie

IIRC, Exit 14 at Tully had that at one point...not sure if that's the location, though...

cu2010

I don't exactly remember, but I'm pretty sure it was Exit 41 at Adams (they said TO NY11, since US11 is a short ways from the exit). This was a couple years ago, too, so NYSDOT may have fixed it. Probably not, though. :D

I also saw a NY11 shield ON I-81 northbound a few weeks ago as part of a detour sign assembly...but that was just a temporary sign.
This is cu2010, reminding you, help control the ugly sign population, don't have your shields spayed or neutered.

74/171FAN

Many errors from the city of Petersburg, VA:
US 1 has never been on any portion of Crater Rd that I know of  YAY Petersburg always reveres VA 36 here as a US Route. Wait I said VA 36    Someone forgot the "ALT" banner here    VA 36 is not multiplexed with US 460 Business here but this could involve the truck route though 
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Hellfighter

WillWeaverRVA

Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

rickmastfan67

Yeah, that is odd, but it's legit. ;)  But I-81 and I-77 both go the opposite directions as well as US-11 and US-52 between Ft. Chiswell and Wytheville. ;)

Truvelo

I'm not too sure if there's any errors here but is it normal for the font to be different in shields on the same gantry? Also the 1 at the bottom of the left sign seems a little small. And finally the black line around white shields, I guess this is just an Iowa thing.

Speed limits limit life

florida

The black line around (US route) shields is also a South Carolina thing.
So many roads...so little time.

US71

Quote from: florida on July 23, 2009, 02:12:40 PM

Oklahoma does that, too.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

74/171FAN

Another Petersburg sign error as US 460 should be US 460 Business ever since US 460 was put onto Wagner Rd and I-95 but I believe this was right when posted  
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

agentsteel53

New Mexico also puts the black outline on their shields.

jake@aaroads.com

Crewdawg

Quote from: corco on July 05, 2009, 07:30:24 PM
How's about these US-101 shields erected around Port Angeles?

and for that matter, these US-2 shields erected around Monroe

And doses,t US 101 go north/south

agentsteel53

101 does a hook around the Olympic Peninsula.  It is signed north-south up the Pacific coast, then east-west along the northern shore of the peninsula, and then south-north as it goes inland to its terminus near Olympia.

Along all three segments, the cardinal directions match the physical direction of travel.  So when 101 starts out of Olympia, it is signed 101 north.  Therefore, 101 has two southern termini!

jake@aaroads.com

mightyace

Quote from: Truvelo on July 23, 2009, 02:07:54 PM
I'm not too sure if there's any errors here but is it normal for the font to be different in shields on the same gantry? Also the 1 at the bottom of the left sign seems a little small. And finally the black line around white shields, I guess this is just an Iowa thing.

I noticed that the route signs on the left BGS are much smaller than the ones on the right.  (I guess to squeeze them in.)  Does this happen often?
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

thenetwork

Quote from: US71 on July 23, 2009, 02:14:07 PM
Quote from: florida on July 23, 2009, 02:12:40 PM

Oklahoma does that, too.

...As does Utah & Virginia.

Ian

UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Mr. Matté

This one in Wisconsin made the news in my area (albeit it was probably stock footage from the local station there)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.