News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Erroneous road signs

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 04:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

74/171FAN

QuoteIt gets worse on the other side of I-95, with overheads showing US 33 going in BOTH directions on Broad. I emailed VDOT two years ago and they feel that the exit doesn't see enough traffic to warrant them coming out to fix it.
How is there not enough traffic????  That's one of the main exits into downtown which isn't a freeway or toll road   :colorful:
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

WillWeaverRVA

Here's the text of the email I got from VDOT when I contacted them two years ago:

QuoteWe reviewed the location yesterday, and found your complaint to be
valid; the signs for Rte 250 / 33 will be changed to the Rte 33 state
primary shields whenever our budget allows. Although theses signs have
been inappropriately marked, since they do not directly affect travelers
ability to identify what stretch of road they are located or their
immediate traveling safety, this is not one of our main priorities at
the time. Especially considering the number of improvement and safety
projects we are currently engaged in. Nonetheless, we will address these
concerns as soon as possible.

In other words, never, because given that VDOT's resources are stretched thin due to the economy, it's not likely they'll be fixed any time soon. They do have a point, though, that it doesn't really affect navigation here; it's downtown Richmond. The average driver or tourist will be looking for Broad Street, not necessarily US 33 or 250.

It should also be noted that their intent to change the shields to VA 33 shields would also be wrong, as VA 33 isn't on this part of Broad either (but it used to be).
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

WNYroadgeek

QuoteAlso, I found another one:

NY 20 should be US 20.

Just a quick update: I passed by this sign assembly last month and the error has been corrected.

Also:

So you're telling me I have to go on NY 16 North in order to detour NY 16 North?

Alex

I noticed this NY 20A shield for US 20A on one of my recent updates:

US71

This is sort of an error;
  :rolleyes:
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Hellfighter

WillWeaverRVA

None of those shields is in error, Hellfighter. The I-195 shield looks a little strange, but it's not wrong. :p
Will Weaver

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Hellfighter

Quote from: SyntheticDreamer on September 02, 2009, 12:03:47 AM
None of those shields is in error, Hellfighter. The I-195 shield looks a little strange, but it's not wrong. :p

Okay then...

deathtopumpkins

Quote from: WNYroadgeek on September 01, 2009, 09:02:06 PM
http://www.upstatenyroads.com/submit/region-5/HPIM3142.JPG

So you're telling me I have to go on NY 16 North in order to detour NY 16 North?

I saw something similar on US-17 near I believe it was Hertford, NC. The Business 17 route was closed due to a bridge repair, so the entire length of Business 17 was detoured onto regular US-17 and consistently signed. Wish I had gotten a pic of one of the US 17 NORTH / BUSINESS US 17 NORTH shield assemblies.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

Michael

^^^ I've also seen detours that have to go the opposite direction.  For example, when a bridge on NY 31 was being replaced, there was a long detour.  To follow it, people trying to go east on NY 31 east of the start of the detour had to go in the opposite (west) direction to get to the "beginning".  Signs in that area said "NY 31 WEST/DETOUR NY 31 EAST".

US71

QuoteI've also seen detours that have to go the opposite direction.  For example, when a bridge on NY 31 was being replaced, there was a long detour.  To follow it, people trying to go east on NY 31 east of the start of the detour had to go in the opposite (west) direction to get to the "beginning".  Signs in that area said "NY 31 WEST/DETOUR NY 31 EAST".

I found such a set-up in Springfield, MO

AND

This is when the Diverging Diamond Interchange was under construction.

mightyace

Quote from: Michael on September 02, 2009, 01:30:07 PM
I've also seen detours that have to go the oppositedirection.  For example, when a bridge on NY 31 was being replaced, there was a long detour.  To follow it, people trying to go east on NY 31 east of the start of the detour had to go in the opposite (west) direction to get to the "beginning".  Signs in that area said "NY 31 WEST/DETOUR NY 31 EAST".

The times I've seen it are when entrance ramps are closed for construction.

For a hypothetical example, on HWY 123 only the WB entrance ramp to I-999 is open.  Traffic for I-999 East is told to get on I-999 West, get off at the next exit and then enter on I-999 east.  In such a situation you would see, I-999 West, DETOUR I-999 East after getting on that exit.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Michael

That's it!  I was having a hard time describing it.  US71's first picture has exactly what I was talking about, only with I-44.

WNYroadgeek

Quote from: AARoads on September 01, 2009, 10:54:51 PM
I noticed this NY 20A shield for US 20A on one of my recent updates:

It looks like the 20A shield in the background is also erroneously signed as a state route rather than a US route.

Roadgeek Adam

In NY, you never know what you'll find:

Puerto Rico much?
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

WillWeaverRVA

I saw a lower res version of that goof once. Never ceases to amaze me. You ought to have this added to the AARoads Shield Gallery. :p
Will Weaver

Roadgeek Adam

cause Steve Alpert has a copy as well. I found it and got my own
Adam Seth Moss

Michael

Would that be on US 1 in NYC?

Roadgeek Adam

Adam Seth Moss

okroads

Here is a sign goof I snapped this weekend:

roadfro

What's the goof?

Not being familiar with the area, the only thing that seems odd in that photo is "Trfwy" (which I assume means "trafficway").
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

okroads

U.S. 269 is supposed to be Missouri 269. The sign is on I-35 South in North Kansas City, MO.

US71

I found US 15 in Oklahoma this past weekend ;)

mightyace

^^^
Quote from: US71 on September 09, 2009, 01:53:58 AM
I found US 15 in Oklahoma this past weekend ;)

Man, wrong state and wrong direction.  :pan:
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

agentsteel53

there was a US-11 error somewhere in Oklahoma in late 2006.  I cannot remember where, but it was part of a construction zone.  I'd love to say I have a photo of it on the shield gallery, but I appear to be some sort of a demon slug so I do not.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.