News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Erroneous road signs

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 04:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

okroads

Quote from: RustyK on August 13, 2010, 12:59:11 PM
I don't have pictures, but I saw 2 while I was in NJ last week:
1. The long-standing black-and-white, Interstate-shaped, route 9 symbol at Exit 29 on the Parkway north.

This one? (taken by me on 8/4/03)

Brandon

^^ My eyes!  How they burn!  :ded:
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: okroads on August 13, 2010, 03:39:27 PM
This one? (taken by me on 8/4/03)

Apparently Bud Shuster wasn't finished after I-99...
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

mightyace

^^^

:hmmm: I'm not so sure.  I-99 may break the grid, but its signs are within spec.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

agentsteel53

Quote from: mightyace on August 13, 2010, 06:23:17 PM

:hmmm: I'm not so sure.  I-99 may break the grid, but its signs are within spec.

would be nice if they had the state name, though... which is, indeed, back in the specs as of 2003.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

joseph1723

Here's one I found on Onthighways.com of a now removed US 37 sign that's supposed to be NY 37 on the ON 401 offramp:

The one on the other ramp is still there in streetview though:
http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=44.755739,-75.479808&spn=0.010819,0.019119&z=16&layer=c&cbll=44.755835,-75.479676&panoid=ml56BE_QNkjSs0TRJ56qgw&cbp=12,230.79,,2,5.05

cu2010

Quote from: joseph1723 on August 14, 2010, 01:12:37 AM
Here's one I found on Onthighways.com of a now removed US 37 sign that's supposed to be NY 37 on the ON 401 offramp:
*ON 16/416/US 37 assembly*

The directional sign on the 37 sign is wrong, too...37 runs east/west, not north/south.

QuoteThe one on the other ramp is still there in streetview though:
*GSV link*

That's actually surprising, considering that all of the BGS's for Exit 721B on 401 (along with LGS's along 16 for the bridge, and the LGS off of the WB ramp) used to have incorrect US 37 shields as well...they've since been overlaid with NY 37 shields, complete with black background. The BGS assembly for 401 westbound doesn't show 37 at all!
This is cu2010, reminding you, help control the ugly sign population, don't have your shields spayed or neutered.

shoptb1

Quote from: Adam Smith on August 08, 2010, 11:03:45 PM
I like the size of the text on the orange tape jobs through the construction zone there.

CLOSED

you mean, like this?  Sorry kids, Ohio State is closed now.  LOL

US71

Not a major error, but an error nonetheless ;)

This one you'd have to see the location to understand why it's an error:

Here's the
streetview

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

OracleUsr

Here's a succession of signs (hint, it's the same direction of I-40)

View 1

View 2

This has been fixed since, but back in April, 2010 it was like this.

[ - Please resize your images manually down to 800 width.  You're making some Internet browsers stutter badly.  Thanks. -rmf67]
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

agentsteel53

I thought we had an auto-resize script as a stopgap, or did we knock it out since it was masking the problem, and not solving it?

jake@aaroads.com

rickmastfan67

Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 15, 2010, 05:33:58 PM
I thought we had an auto-resize script as a stopgap, or did we knock it out since it was masking the problem, and not solving it?

Well, one of his images somehow bypassed it and was full size in the forums.  The other one had javascript resizing and was freaking out my browser.

agentsteel53

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on August 15, 2010, 05:35:04 PM

Well, one of his images somehow bypassed it and was full size in the forums.  The other one had javascript resizing and was freaking out my browser.

I noticed the one, that is why I was wondering if our countermeasure had been taken away.  The other one was not freaking out the browser for me.  I'm running firefox 3.5.3.

jake@aaroads.com

rickmastfan67

Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 15, 2010, 05:36:00 PM
I noticed the one, that is why I was wondering if our countermeasure had been taken away.  The other one was not freaking out the browser for me.  I'm running firefox 3.5.3.

I don't know if the countermeasure has been.  As for the browser freakout, it does it in IE.  Yes, I use IE because it has a x64 version that I don't have to worry about flash in it. :D

OracleUsr

Serves me right for directly linking imageshack to this forum.

Let me see if I can resize it in IS and post it again.

[EDIT] Apparently not.  Okay, here's the gist of the two images.  One is a BGS with a left-handed tab, which is correct.  The second is a gore sign with a right-handed arrow, which is wrong.

RMF67, does the image linking code allow resizing in the image tag?
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

agentsteel53

I have a firefox add-on called FlashBlock that disables all flash apps unless explicitly requested. 

jake@aaroads.com

rickmastfan67

Quote from: OracleUsr on August 15, 2010, 05:47:36 PM
RMF67, does the image linking code allow resizing in the image tag?

Here, yes.  However with very large images that are resized by them, some browser sutter very badly when moving over them.  I could resize the images for you and then you re-upload them to your imagesack account and repost. ;)  Let me know if you want me to and what e-mail address to send them to.

Duke87

Poor weather sorta got in the way here, but:

I actually didn't notice this error until I was looking through the pictures I'd taken and loading them onto my computer. I thought I was just snapping a picture of an old button copy sign!

(in case you can't figure it out, NJ 202 should be US 202)
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

corco

Here's a new one. No buckinghorse, no "ming," just WYO 59.

On 59 on the godforsaken stretch of road halfway between Gillette and the Montana line

Ian

Not too much of an error, but DelDOT messed up the colors for the E-ZPass logo! The text is supposed to be white and the background is supposed to be purple. I-95 southbound approaching the Newark toll plaza.

UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

deathtopumpkins

I found an I-95 trailblazer on westbound RI 138 a few miles east of the interstate that had "I-95" in a 3-digit shield, but was unable to get a picture or find it on streetview afterward.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

agentsteel53

Rhode Island does that sometimes.  This one is on the mainline.

jake@aaroads.com

Ian

Savannah, GA has a few I-I-16 shields...
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

cu2010

Quote from: PennDOTFan on August 29, 2010, 12:42:23 PM
Not too much of an error, but DelDOT messed up the colors for the E-ZPass logo! The text is supposed to be white and the background is supposed to be purple. I-95 southbound approaching the Newark toll plaza.

Meh, that logo doesn't look too bad. Those signs are hideous, but not because of the reverse-colored E-ZPass logo.
This is cu2010, reminding you, help control the ugly sign population, don't have your shields spayed or neutered.

agentsteel53

Denver likes to do this:

I think there might be a state-named one on the mainline.

jake@aaroads.com

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.