News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Gravel state/US routes

Started by Hot Rod Hootenanny, August 28, 2009, 02:10:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Revive 755

In Nebraska, NE 67 is gravel between NE 2 and US 34.  NDOR is wanting to turn the road over to Otoe County, but the county wants the road paved before it will accept it.

I think there's another gravel one I can't remember the number for in Nebraska.

thenetwork

In the State Route category for Colorado, one that I know of:

CO-90, between Nucla & Montrose in Western Colorado (Montrose County).

However, despite there being a paved CO-90 west of Nucla and a short stretch of paved CO-90 just west of Montrose, C-DOT has yanked all the CO-90 signs in between on the non-paved sections, and does not note that stretch either on official state maps.  But back in the days when many Western Colorado state highways were unpaved, CO-90 ran the full length.

US71

There is also a section of LA 10 that is gravel.

Then there is AR 220.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

algorerhythms

Then there is AR 220.
I seem to remember being on AR 219 at some point (I had exited from I-40 to find a motel to stay at overnight) and there were signs that said something like "Paved road ends, 9 miles."

US71

In the instance of AR 219, when the pavement ends, so does the highway: it becomes a county-maintained road (I checked it out a few years ago).

220 begins at AR 59 and used to end after crossing Lee Creek, continuing on as a Crawford County maintained road and Washington County (it was CR 61). I forget the year, but the state took over maintenance of the road, but it has never been improved. Part of the problem is it runs through the Ozark National Forest, so any improvements (which many are needed) would have to be done to minimize the impact on the forest. To date, AHTD has either been unable or unwilling to work with the National Forest Service.  :eyebrow:

Scott5114

Isn't 220 the one that hurt your car?

Oklahoma's last highway left unpaved was SH-144. According to the state map, it has been paved. Eric's site has some pictures of it from when it was gravel.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

US71

Yeah, 220 took out my front axle 7-8 years ago (different van). BIG honkin' pothole. I've been hesitant to drive that road ever since  :-(

Urban Prairie Schooner

That segment of LA 69 has always been gravel for as long as I have been traveling that way. That was the first such section of unpaved state road I happened to come across. There are some other unpaved LA routes of which I know: LA 10 between Melville and LA 77, LA 975, LA 1004, LA 1013, LA 645 (excepting the first block), LA 944, and LA 1003. And that's just in the same general area of the state.

cbalducc

North Carolina 197 is unpaved for a stretch between Barnardsville and Murchison.  I remember riding it one evening in 2007 thinking it would be a shortcut to Asheville.  Wrong!  God bless.

tmthyvs

QuoteHowever, despite there being a paved CO-90 west of Nucla and a short stretch of paved CO-90 just west of Montrose, C-DOT has yanked all the CO-90 signs in between on the non-paved sections, and does not note that stretch either on official state maps.  But back in the days when many Western Colorado state highways were unpaved, CO-90 ran the full length.

The gravel section was turned back by 1954 (http://www.mesalek.com/colo/r80-99.html#90). However, there is a gravel section of CO 78 near CO 165.

agentsteel53

Quote from: AlpsROADS on August 31, 2009, 08:30:06 PM

I believe the last one was paved in the mid-1980's or so.  Possibly in Colorado, or else another state out that way.

the last gravel US route was a section of US-183 in Nebraska.  It was paved between 1967 and 1968.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Avalanchez71

I cannot think of any gravel state roads in Tennessee.

Ketchup99

This just may win the longest bump award!

kphoger

With zero valuable content added to the discussion.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: kphoger on February 24, 2021, 11:05:52 AM
With zero valuable content added to the discussion.

Heh, tell that to the posters who chewed *me* out for questioning someone's unneeded bump several years back.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Mapmikey

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on February 24, 2021, 10:12:58 AM

The west ends of TN 79 and TN 103 are now unpaved.

Avalanchez71

Quote from: Mapmikey on February 24, 2021, 11:46:04 AM

My mistake as I thought that the western ends of some of the Mississippi River state roads ended at the end of pavement.

Scott5114

Do not bump old threads unless materially adding to the discussion. If you see "agentsteel53" as one of the most recent users to post in the thread, it's too old to bump.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

OCGuy81

Isn't there a stub of CA-39 up in the mountains that's unpaved?

kphoger

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 24, 2021, 12:19:52 PM
If you see "agentsteel53" as one of the most recent users to post in the thread, it's too old to bump.

Well spoken, sir.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Avalanchez71

Does bumping old threads raise server costs?

This one did bring some valuable information.

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on February 24, 2021, 01:22:45 PM

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on February 24, 2021, 01:19:58 PM
This one did bring some valuable information.

:hmmm:

I believe this (below 👇) is the valuable information being referred to.

Quote from: Mapmikey on February 24, 2021, 11:46:04 AM

kphoger

But that wasn't his post.  He bumped an eleven-year-old thread with no new content.  It was only after that that someone else posted new information.
Male pronouns, please.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: kphoger on February 24, 2021, 01:45:26 PM
But that wasn't his post.  He bumped an eleven-year-old thread with no new content.  It was only after that that someone else posted new information.

Not to mention there was a far more recent thread we could have bumped instead.

Chris

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.