News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Does Anyone Else Plan Road Trips That Would Be Cool But You Know It Wont Happen?

Started by BigMattFromTexas, September 20, 2009, 10:12:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigMattFromTexas

Wow long name. But do you? I do. Ive planed an awesome road trip from San Angelo, TX to Clarion, IA, then from there Chicago, IL, then Thunder Bay, then come back home.
BigMatt

Alps

My dream trip, which evolves as I get routes clinched, would probably at this point start with US 20 west of Albany (where I left off clinching), west to Washington, head north on old US 99 then take US 101 from end to end, come back to the other side of the country on US 90, then head back home with a couple of clinches.  It would be about 9,000 miles on US highways, so it would be a two-week vacation, but I'd want to explore as I hit each city.

J N Winkler

That is eminently doable--you just need to be a little older with your own car and a summer's worth of leisure time.

The trip I would personally like to do, but doubt I will ever get to do in my lifetime, is a Cape-to-Cairo drive.  There have been fantasies of building a highway from the Cape to Cairo ever since Cecil Rhodes (at least), but it hasn't happened and there are only a few improved stretches north of South Africa.  Nowadays it is a difficult drive to do without being raped, tortured, or killed.  In 1928 William Rees Jeffreys did the journey by road, at the height of European colonization when travel was safer than it is now, and had to brave a raft crossing of a crocodile-infested river in (I think) what is now Uganda.

I'd also like to check out the motorway network in Iraq, but I don't see myself being able to do it in the next decade or so because insurgency has become institutionalized.  I'd also like to do an Istanbul-Teheran rail journey (sleepers and an overnight ferry crossing of Lake Van) but all the saber-rattling at present is a major turnoff.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

deathtopumpkins

I keep envisioning a round-the-country trip with several options, primarily clinching all of I-95, 10, 5, and 90, plus driving all the way into Alaska and up the Dalton Hwy.
Though I've also planned versions that are US Highways all the way, and some side trips as well.

Will it happen within the next 10 years? Doubtful...  :no:
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

Scott5114

I would like to get done half the stuff agentsteel has managed to do. How the man gets to see all that, I'll never know.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Sykotyk

http://www.sykotyk.com/supertrip/

Trips like this can happen.  :)

A few trips I want to do are to clinch counties and roads, but nothing monumental. Maybe 2-3 thousand miles in nature at a time.

Sykotyk

mightyace

Quote from: Sykotyk on September 21, 2009, 08:27:31 AM
http://www.sykotyk.com/supertrip/

Trips like this can happen.  :)

A few trips I want to do are to clinch counties and roads, but nothing monumental. Maybe 2-3 thousand miles in nature at a time.

Sykotyk

I glanced at that.  I saw you stayed a night at the Red Maple Inn in Berwick (actually Briar Creek), PA.  That's only about 4 or 5 miles from the house I grew up in!  Not surprisingly, I've been by that Inn more times than I could possibly count and the exterior doesn't look like it's changed much since I was a kid.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

corco

I plan trips thinking I'm actually going to take them and then realize I'm actually a poor college student and don't actually take them on a semi-daily basis

Hellfighter

Quote from: corco on September 21, 2009, 06:46:00 PM
I plan trips thinking I'm actually going to take them and then realize I'm actually a poor college student and don't actually take them on a semi-daily basis

Me too!

OracleUsr

Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

golden eagle

Ian

I have dreams for several trips to take someday. I know I'd like to cross the country and explore and take photos of many things (not only signs). I'd also like to go to Canada, Mexico, and elswhere around the world.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Alex

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 20, 2009, 11:39:37 PM
I would like to get done half the stuff agentsteel has managed to do. How the man gets to see all that, I'll never know.

If you don't mind seeing lots of miles at night and sleeping in your car for two hours at a time, you can match him! Same goes for Larbearfl.

deathtopumpkins

Hah! I've been to counties he hasn't!  :-D

That is pretty insane though...  :crazy:
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

SSOWorld

Quote from: AARoads on September 21, 2009, 10:15:30 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on September 20, 2009, 11:39:37 PM

If you don't mind seeing lots of miles at night and sleeping in your car for two hours at a time, you can match him! Same goes for Larbearfl.
is he as seasoned as Oscar Voss though? :poke:
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

mightyace

To driver I-80 from end to end.

To clinch all the interstates in my home state of Pennsylvania.

Travel US 101 and/or Pacific Coast Highway (where different) from end to end.

Follow the NASCAR season around the country.  (will either have to wait for retirement or hitting the LOTTO  :-D)
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

froggie

Quoteis he as seasoned as Oscar Voss though?

I'd say that Oscar is much more seasoned.  But to be fair, Oscar is also twice his age...

SSOWorld

Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Chris

Make a big roadtrip through the United States. However, I am 22 and I heard renting a car under 25 is either impossible or über-expensive, so I'm gonna wait a few years. Also, I don't have that much money now because I'm still starting my career. So I'll probably keep doing roadtrips all over Europe. I wanna go to Poland next year, one of the most interesting countries in Europe when it comes to road construction. In 2010, over 600 miles of freeway will be U/C.

corco

QuoteMake a big roadtrip through the United States. However, I am 22 and I heard renting a car under 25 is either impossible or über-expensive, so I'm gonna wait a few years. Also, I don't have that much money now because I'm still starting my career. So I'll probably keep doing roadtrips all over Europe. I wanna go to Poland next year, one of the most interesting countries in Europe when it comes to road construction. In 2010, over 600 miles of freeway will be U/C.

Rent a car in a college town- Enterprise in Laramie doesn't charge underage fees

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.