News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Groups of shields on one sign

Started by Truvelo, November 12, 2009, 10:19:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott5114

Quote from: corco on November 12, 2009, 07:18:31 PM
or less frequently like this or this or this (the last one used to be common but is being phased out)

They'll have to bring them back when the 2009 MUTCD goes into effect. It specifically disallows anything other than green as a background for this type of sign.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

corco

QuoteQuote from: corco on November 12, 2009, 05:18:31 PM
or less frequently like this or this or this (the last one used to be common but is being phased out)

They'll have to bring them back when the 2009 MUTCD goes into effect. It specifically disallows anything other than green as a background for this type of sign.

Even if it's just a reassurance shield? I'm not sure why that first 395/20 one would be illegal on a one piece. It's constructed exactly like 2 separate shields posted next to each other except it's just one

Brandon

An example from Wisconsin with the three interstate multiplex of I-39, I-90, and I-94.
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=43.332795,-89.460425&spn=0,359.928417&z=15&layer=c&cbll=43.332843,-89.460297&panoid=YPxq16yB-2f2CSnm0XbdwQ&cbp=12,131.16,,0,9.69
Note that everything seems to be on one sign.  I'm trying to find the examples of six interstate shields in a row I've seen along that stretch.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

ctsignguy

Quote from: Truvelo on November 12, 2009, 10:19:36 AM
I apologise if there's already a thread on this but after doing a search I can't find anything so here goes.

Is this setup rare or not? On all my trips to the US I have never seen such an arrangement before. I've seen individual signs put together in a bunch but never a single sign with multiple shields.

Click on picture to enlarge

Gah!  Must be Delaware OH....
http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u102/ctsignguy/<br /><br />Maintaining an interest in Fine Highway Signs since 1958....

exit322

That's correct.  It's inbound on the east side of town on 36/37 just before they split.

thenetwork

Quote from: ctsignguy on November 13, 2009, 08:25:35 PM
Quote from: Truvelo on November 12, 2009, 10:19:36 AM
I apologize if there's already a thread on this but after doing a search I can't find anything so here goes.

Is this setup rare or not? On all my trips to the US I have never seen such an arrangement before. I've seen individual signs put together in a bunch but never a single sign with multiple shields.

Click on picture to enlarge

Gah!  Must be Delaware OH....

For sure...My sister lives just outside of Delaware, OH and if you are not passing thru the town on US 23, then you need a sharp eye and some luck to keep on the same route through town.

Not only that, but Delaware is the city full of NIMBYs who don't want to see US 23 improved/upgraded into a 4-lane expressway, nor do they want to see an I-73 shield anywhere near their town.  Yet they love stop & go traffic congestion from Delaware south to I-270 in Columbus.

BTW, for those keeping score at home, the obstructed shield on the BWS is US 42.

deathtopumpkins

Quote from: 74/171FAN on November 12, 2009, 06:29:49 PM
I don't know of any offhand in the Richmond-Petersburg area though.

You do now.  ;-) From Synthetic Dreamer's Picasa:
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

froggie

IIRC, there's another at the US 1/301/VA 144 junction.

VDOT's Richmond District seems to have really taken to the "unisigns".  I've only rarely seen them elsewhere in the state.

74/171FAN

Quote from: froggie on November 15, 2009, 09:32:32 AM

VDOT's Richmond District seems to have really taken to the "unisigns".  I've only rarely seen them elsewhere in the state.

I was referring to the green ones instead of all colors  :-( but there are a few in Hopewell including this one.   
Quote from: froggie on November 15, 2009, 09:32:32 AM

And of course that one has US 144 on there instead of VA 144
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

roadfro

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 13, 2009, 05:34:31 PM

According to the FHWA's Powerpoint notes on the MUTCD, when route shields and their associated auxiliary messages are combined on one sign, the background color *should* be green (which equates to a recommendation, not a requirement). However, the proposed text specifically disallows just mounting route shield auxiliary signs to a guide sign background.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.