News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Speed limits not divisible by 5

Started by dgolub, March 29, 2014, 10:58:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1995hoo

Quote from: bzakharin on December 29, 2014, 04:39:55 PM
Quote from: TEG24601 on December 29, 2014, 04:04:16 PM
My parents had a timeshare near Birch Bay, WA for a few years, and they had "Speed Limit 7", and another sign that said "7 = One Foot On Brake".
One foot? I can only interpret that two ways, neither of which makes any sense. Either there are cases where you would have both feet on the break or the other foot goes somewhere else. Gas?

Putting both feet on the brake is too difficult. The clutch gets in the way of the left foot.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

PurdueBill

The one time I ever had both feet on the brake was when a guy ran a red light at an intersection ahead coming from the left, causing a several-car collision, with one car spinning around and coming head-on into my direction of 45-mph traffic.  Nothing but grass to the right but still an inane tall concrete curb so running off the road not an option; I veered as far to the right as possible, braced for an offset collision and braked with both feet basically in panic.  Somehow the spun out car stopped parallel to mine and another traveling my direction, facing us and six inches off the fenders of each of us, such that had we collided, it woulda been a nice offset head-on crash. (It took a minute to unwrap my fingers from the steering wheel and get out to see who was OK and find that the guy who ran the red light and his passenger were still in their car, which was running, leaking fluids, both unconscious...apparently the driver was trying to rush the passenger to the nearby hospital.  Nurses on lunch break from the nearby hospital, including one from a car involved in the collateral collisions, descended on his car moments after I turned off his ignition.)  Never braked with both feet before or since then.

I'm guessing that the "one foot on brake" thing on the sign means that to keep it down to 7 mph you have to ride your brake.  If you let it coast in drive you may pick up enough to be "speeding" based on the posted speed limit of 7.

MikeTheActuary

Came across this one at a local library a few days ago:

You can even sorta see it in GSV.

SignGeek101

Quote from: MikeTheActuary on January 27, 2015, 11:14:00 PM
Came across this one at a local library a few days ago:

You can even sorta see it in GSV.

A Harry Potter reference of course. But why the series B?!  :-o

OCGuy81

Think I've posted this on another thread, but the speed limit within Disneyland is 14.

I think it has something to do with a limit > 15 means Anaheim would have to patrol it (but don't quote me on that)

ajlynch91

In Bolingbrook there is a company (or was) off of Remington Blvd that had a non-official speed limit sign of 17 1/2 mph.

SignGeek101

I'd like to revive. Found this on Reddit, apparently it's in Chicago. Picture is massive, so here's the link:

http://i.imgur.com/7U0GMnG.jpg

Bonus for Clearview!   :cool: :D

Pete from Boston

Not a public way, but I've passed the Harvard Square bus tunnel hundreds of times before noticing this:

The Nature Boy

Quote from: Pete from Boston on August 27, 2015, 10:28:29 PM
Not a public way, but I've passed the Harvard Square bus tunnel hundreds of times before noticing this:

I seem to recall the South Station bus entrance having a similar speed limit sign up as well.

noelbotevera

Quote from: Pete from Boston on August 27, 2015, 10:28:29 PM

Too ugly.

The Chambersburg Hospital has 16 MPH signs - one near the 7th St. entrance, one at a former speedbump near N. Coldbrook Avenue.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

JMoses24

Fort Mitchell, KY. This is the Drees Homes corporate office on Grandview Blvd.. If you look close, you'll see a Speed Limit 14.

https://goo.gl/maps/yibgQ

freebrickproductions

It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.