News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

PA Turnpike News

Started by mightyace, February 16, 2009, 05:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PHLBOS

Quote from: odditude on June 25, 2015, 08:54:04 AM
Quote from: PHLBOS on June 25, 2015, 08:40:21 AM
IMHO, a more logical approach would be to reduce the number of call boxes along stretches that go through more populated regions (example: I-276 in the Greater Philadelphia area).  Instead of currently having one at every mile; reduce the number to one every 2 or 3 miles. in those areas.
depending on how the call boxes are connected, this might not actually provide a significant cost savings - e.g. if the removal of some but not all boxes requires the installation and subsequent maintenance of repeaters or other hardware. disclaimer - i do not know how the call boxes are wired, this is purely conjecture.
One would hope that those strings of call-boxes were installed in parallel circuits as opposed to in series.  That way if one is taken out of service (or knocked out in an accident); the remaining boxes before and after would still be functional.

The bottom line is if there's less call boxes to maintain/repair; the overall maintenance costs should be lower.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

SignBridge

I believe those are all radio call-boxes. Unless I'm mistaken there is no wiring involved. I think you could remove say every other one, and the remaining ones would stay operational. They should keep them in the rural areas where cell-phone service may be weak and sporadic.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: cpzilliacus on June 24, 2015, 06:09:36 PM
Pittsburgh Tribune-Review: Pa. Turnpike commission considers getting rid of callboxes

QuotePennsylvania Turnpike drivers used the bright yellow roadside emergency call boxes more than 18,000 times a year 15 years ago. Now, it's about 1,200 times a year.

QuoteAbout half of Americans owned a cellphone 15 years ago. Now, ownership hovers at about 90 percent, so the Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission is considering whether it's time to scale back one of the nation's last and largest emergency call box systems.
As I mentioned either further back on this thread or in another thread; I would support reducing but not flat-out eliminating all the call boxes for the following reasons:

1.  The more remote and rural stretches of the Turnpike may still not have decent cell phone reception (aka Dead Zones).

2.  If one's cell phone is out of commission or has a dead battery (such does happen) and that person is driving alone; they might as well be viewed as someone without a cell phone.

Quote from: Pittsburgh Tribune-Review"With the continued drop in the call box deployments and the new ways that we have to tell us about accidents, I think that's made the timing right to reconsider this,"  turnpike spokesman Carl DeFebo said.
One needs to remember that call boxes aren't just for reporting accidents; but for reporting breakdowns as well.

IMHO, a more logical approach would be to reduce the number of call boxes along stretches that go through more populated regions (example: I-276 in the Greater Philadelphia area).  Instead of currently having one at every mile; reduce the number to one every 2 or 3 miles. in those areas.

If they're going to keep them, they have to remain every mile. If you have a breakdown, you're not going to want to walk upwards of 3 miles to get to a box. Let's say someone breaks down: they're probably not aware of where the closest box is. They walk the right way, and it's no further than a half mile away. Walk the wrong way, and that's a long 2.5 mile walk with traffic flying by.  Oh, they have to return to their car.  That could be over a 5 mile round trip walk. 

iBallasticwolf2

Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 25, 2015, 11:28:01 PM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on June 24, 2015, 06:09:36 PM
Pittsburgh Tribune-Review: Pa. Turnpike commission considers getting rid of callboxes

QuotePennsylvania Turnpike drivers used the bright yellow roadside emergency call boxes more than 18,000 times a year 15 years ago. Now, it's about 1,200 times a year.

QuoteAbout half of Americans owned a cellphone 15 years ago. Now, ownership hovers at about 90 percent, so the Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission is considering whether it's time to scale back one of the nation's last and largest emergency call box systems.
As I mentioned either further back on this thread or in another thread; I would support reducing but not flat-out eliminating all the call boxes for the following reasons:

1.  The more remote and rural stretches of the Turnpike may still not have decent cell phone reception (aka Dead Zones).

2.  If one's cell phone is out of commission or has a dead battery (such does happen) and that person is driving alone; they might as well be viewed as someone without a cell phone.

Quote from: Pittsburgh Tribune-Review"With the continued drop in the call box deployments and the new ways that we have to tell us about accidents, I think that's made the timing right to reconsider this,"  turnpike spokesman Carl DeFebo said.
One needs to remember that call boxes aren't just for reporting accidents; but for reporting breakdowns as well.

If they're going to keep them, they have to remain every mile. If you have a breakdown, you're not going to want to walk upwards of 3 miles to get to a box. Let's say someone breaks down: they're probably not aware of where the closest box is. They walk the right way, and it's no further than a half mile away. Walk the wrong way, and that's a long 2.5 mile walk with traffic flying by.  Oh, they have to return to their car.  That could be over a 5 mile round trip walk.

A subtle way of solving obesity?  :-D
Only two things are infinite in this world, stupidity, and I-75 construction

Flyer78

New NE Extension All Electronic (but E-Z Pass Only) Exit 87 is scheduled to (finally) open June 30. https://www.patpconstruction.com/Rt903AEI/

The release notes that mis-use of the interchange (without E-ZPass) results in a $25 administrative charge, and the toll will be equal to the furthest entry point -- Ohio Line. That's some charge...

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Flyer78 on June 28, 2015, 11:16:48 AM
New NE Extension All Electronic (but E-Z Pass Only) Exit 87 is scheduled to (finally) open June 30. https://www.patpconstruction.com/Rt903AEI/

The release notes that mis-use of the interchange (without E-ZPass) results in a $25 administrative charge, and the toll will be equal to the furthest entry point -- Ohio Line. That's some charge...

That's messed up about it being the 'Ohio Line'.  Especially since the ticket system ends well before that @ Warrendale.  Maybe they really mean that, but who knows.

machias

I noticed today that a VMS announced the opening of the "Route 903" E-ZPass only interchange on the NE Extension on 6/30.  From what I could tell from the covered up signs, control cities are Lake Harmony and Jim Thorpe.

briantroutman

Quote from: upstatenyroads on June 28, 2015, 07:37:23 PM
I noticed today that a VMS announced the opening of the "Route 903" E-ZPass only interchange on the NE Extension on 6/30.  From what I could tell from the covered up signs, control cities are Lake Harmony and Jim Thorpe.

I don't know how I completely missed any news of this project even being underway, but just now looking at the project map for the first time...it looks like the new diamond interchange will cause some weaving conflicts with the Hickory Run Service Plaza which is immediately adjacent.

machias

Quote from: briantroutman on June 28, 2015, 07:41:41 PM

I don't know how I completely missed any news of this project even being underway, but just now looking at the project map for the first time...it looks like the new diamond interchange will cause some weaving conflicts with the Hickory Run Service Plaza which is immediately adjacent.

Headed NB on the Turnpike there's a WEAVE sign at the merge of the Hickory Run Service Area on ramp.

noelbotevera

Quote from: upstatenyroads on June 28, 2015, 07:46:33 PM

Headed NB on the Turnpike there's a WEAVE sign at the merge of the Hickory Run Service Area on ramp.

I must be missing something. Unless exit 87 and the Hickory Run Service Plaza are both right exits, and exit 87 is an exit only lane, there should be no weaving between the deceleration lane and the slip ramp.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

Flyer78

The service plaza and the exit are both right-exit.

The re-entry from the service plaza appears to turn into an exit only lane for new exit 87.

The link above has an image of the control cities.

This project has been a weird one, and the current web-site does not give the full story. I think as far back as 2010, phase I was a "design-build" project, where they built half a new bridge... and that was it. The rest picked up over the last several years, with an ever-increasing bleed into late 2014/early 2015... Spring 2015... Summer 2015...

The exit ramp, at least northbound has been painted to include "E-Z Pass Only"

jeffandnicole

Quote from: upstatenyroads on June 28, 2015, 07:46:33 PM

I don’t know how I completely missed any news of this project even being underway, but just now looking at the project map for the first time...it looks like the new diamond interchange will cause some weaving conflicts with the Hickory Run Service Plaza which is immediately adjacent.

These signs are found elsewhere in PA, which in my opinion make no sense as to what the actual advisory is supposed to be.  The main road almost always goes straight, not curved as pictured, and there's more than 1 lane from and to the main road.

Stephane Dumas

The new interchange who only allow EZ-pass users with PA-903 on the NE Extension (I-476) is open just in time for July 4.
http://www.wfmz.com/news/Regional-Poconos-Coal/new-rt-903-turnpike-interchange-opens-in-poconos/33865186

machias

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on July 01, 2015, 08:12:28 PM
The new interchange who only allow EZ-pass users with PA-903 on the NE Extension (I-476) is open just in time for July 4.
http://www.wfmz.com/news/Regional-Poconos-Coal/new-rt-903-turnpike-interchange-opens-in-poconos/33865186

Great to see it open and E-Z Pass technology being used to its fullest potential. But I'm curious, why don't they install ticket dispensers for the onramps to the Turnpike? It would still be a human free interchange and more motorists could use the access to the roadway.

ekt8750

Quote from: upstatenyroads on July 02, 2015, 05:14:57 PM

Great to see it open and E-Z Pass technology being used to its fullest potential. But I'm curious, why don't they install ticket dispensers for the onramps to the Turnpike? It would still be a human free interchange and more motorists could use the access to the roadway.

My guess is they really want to send you a $60 bill

odditude

Having an asymmetrical exit like that is just asking for trouble - people will expect to be able to get on there if they can get off, and people who couldn't get off there would never expect that they can get on.

PHLBOS

Quote from: upstatenyroads on July 02, 2015, 05:14:57 PMGreat to see it open and E-Z Pass technology being used to its fullest potential. But I'm curious, why don't they install ticket dispensers for the onramps to the Turnpike? It would still be a human free interchange and more motorists could use the access to the roadway.
If one installs ticket dispensers on the on-ramps; one would need to install tollbooths for the corresponding the off-ramps; so it would not be human-free.  Remember, this is a full-movement interchange; not an entrance-ramps only one.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Ned Weasel

Quote from: PHLBOS on July 02, 2015, 06:19:36 PM
Quote from: upstatenyroads on July 02, 2015, 05:14:57 PMGreat to see it open and E-Z Pass technology being used to its fullest potential. But I'm curious, why don't they install ticket dispensers for the onramps to the Turnpike? It would still be a human free interchange and more motorists could use the access to the roadway.
If one installs ticket dispensers on the on-ramps; one would need to install tollbooths for the corresponding the off-ramps; so it would not be human-free.  Remember, this is a full-movement interchange; not an entrance-ramps only one.

It could be "human-free" if they installed automated cash payment toll booths such as the kind the Kansas Turnpike uses, but it's still a greater expense--in terms of equipment, structure, and land area required--than simple gantries with transponder readers.
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

jeffandnicole

They're supposed to be free-flowing interchanges.  Tickets require vehicles to stop.  And tickets need to be reloaded.  And ticket machines jam. 

Besides, much of the purpose is to encourage EZ Pass usage. 

machias

Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 02, 2015, 10:38:48 PM
They're supposed to be free-flowing interchanges.  Tickets require vehicles to stop.  And tickets need to be reloaded.  And ticket machines jam. 

Besides, much of the purpose is to encourage EZ Pass usage. 

That's a very good point. I was thinking that motorists could grab a ticket and then not be able to use E-ZPass only exits, but you're right, installing a ticket dispenser would require more frequent maintenance.

qguy

But I'm curious, why don't they install ticket dispensers for the onramps to the Turnpike? It would still be a human free interchange and more motorists could use the access to the roadway.

Because in a few years the Turnpike will be All Electronic Tolling (AET) on the entire system, so they would be purchasing and installing new equipment just to rip it out after not too long.

vdeane

Quote from: qguy on July 03, 2015, 01:48:26 PM
But I'm curious, why don't they install ticket dispensers for the onramps to the Turnpike? It would still be a human free interchange and more motorists could use the access to the roadway.

Because in a few years the Turnpike will be All Electronic Tolling (AET) on the entire system, so they would be purchasing and installing new equipment just to rip it out after not too long.
That's what they're doing with the new toll barrier for the I-95 interchange.  I'd rather they stick to their original schedule to do a total conversion in 2016, ditch the barrier, and put the money to finishing the rest of the project sooner.  But that's not how the PTC works...
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

MASTERNC

Another year, another toll increase.  This one, however, is much larger than usual (at least for E-ZPass customers)

http://www.post-gazette.com/news/transportation/2015/07/07/Pennsylvania-Turnpike-tolls-go-up-for-eighth-in-a-row/stories/201507070174

noelbotevera

Quote from: MASTERNC on July 07, 2015, 07:18:05 PM
Another year, another toll increase.  This one, however, is much larger than usual (at least for E-ZPass customers)

http://www.post-gazette.com/news/transportation/2015/07/07/Pennsylvania-Turnpike-tolls-go-up-for-eighth-in-a-row/stories/201507070174
I think everyone in PA might be missing something here....can't you use US 30 as a shunpike to it? Why don't more people use US 30 as a shunpike (If you want to go to Harrisburg, take US 30 to I-83)?
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

odditude

Quote from: MASTERNC on July 07, 2015, 07:18:05 PMThis one, however, is much larger than usual (at least for E-ZPass customers)
the increases are the same for cash and EZpass - was that not the case previously?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.