News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

PA Turnpike News

Started by mightyace, February 16, 2009, 05:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

Quote from: MASTERNC on December 29, 2015, 08:04:22 PM
I was doing some digging on the PA Turnpike website this week.  A previously announced toll increase (I believe it is 6%) takes effect Sunday morning, at the same time AET is implemented at the Delaware River Bridge.

What is not noted, however, is that the toll rises significantly for westbound motorists who use the bridge (and might be comparable to eastbound motorists entering from Ohio).  For example, the toll from the bridge to Valley Forge will more than double from just over $4 currently to over $9 on Sunday ($5 bridge toll + Turnpike toll from new mainline plaza).
Yup, the bridge is one-way tolled to be parallel to the other Delaware River bridges below it. That folds into the Tpk. toll for the stretch east of I-95.

cl94

Quote from: Alps on December 30, 2015, 12:00:47 AM
Quote from: MASTERNC on December 29, 2015, 08:04:22 PM
I was doing some digging on the PA Turnpike website this week.  A previously announced toll increase (I believe it is 6%) takes effect Sunday morning, at the same time AET is implemented at the Delaware River Bridge.

What is not noted, however, is that the toll rises significantly for westbound motorists who use the bridge (and might be comparable to eastbound motorists entering from Ohio).  For example, the toll from the bridge to Valley Forge will more than double from just over $4 currently to over $9 on Sunday ($5 bridge toll + Turnpike toll from new mainline plaza).
Yup, the bridge is one-way tolled to be parallel to the other Delaware River bridges below it. That folds into the Tpk. toll for the stretch east of I-95.

As it should be. Makes no sense to have a bridge charging for the free direction.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

jeffandnicole

Quote from: MrDisco99 on December 08, 2015, 02:47:12 PM
Would be great if, when tolls go cashless throughout, E-Z Pass could consolidate billing for the various agencies and send a unified bill.  There's so much that current technology can do to get rid of inefficiencies if only the state agencies would allow it.

I'm not sure I understand this question.  Currently, statements are already consolidated.  I have an NJ EZ Pass.  Regardless of what toll plaza I go thru in any state, it shows up on that one statement.  I don't get 6 statements from 6 different states!

noelbotevera

At this point, they're gonna nickel and dime us to death. They don't realize we can just use US 30.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

PHLBOS

Quote from: noelbotevera on December 30, 2015, 12:11:31 PM
At this point, they're gonna nickel and dime us to death. They don't realize we can just use US 30.
Depending on location; US 30 isn't always a freeway and, hence, isn't always the best toll-free alternative.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

vdeane

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 30, 2015, 06:37:16 AM
Would be great if, when tolls go cashless throughout, E-Z Pass could consolidate billing for the various agencies and send a unified bill.  There's so much that current technology can do to get rid of inefficiencies if only the state agencies would allow it.

I'm not sure I understand this question.  Currently, statements are already consolidated.  I have an NJ EZ Pass.  Regardless of what toll plaza I go thru in any state, it shows up on that one statement.  I don't get 6 statements from 6 different states!

I believe he meant the bill for toll by plate, not transponder tolls.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

MASTERNC

Or I-81 to I-70 and I-68 and US 40.  One of my apps said it only adds 45 minutes and 30 miles.  With today's gas prices, the time might be worth it for some people.

ARMOURERERIC

Quote from: MASTERNC on December 30, 2015, 03:17:20 PM

Or I-81 to I-70 and I-68 and US 40.  One of my apps said it only adds 45 minutes and 30 miles.  With today's gas prices, the time might be worth it for some people.

Some of my last trips from Norfolk to Pittsburgh around 1995, I began to go 68 to 40(brownsville) to 43 to 70 to 79.  It took the same amount of time with no tolls and NO (what was then) an overcrowded turnpike from Breezewood to Butler Valley.  I was soooo much less stressed.

cl94

Convince your parents to elect new people and do the same when you're old enough. A lot of what's causing the high toll rates is Act 44. The tolls are funding PennDOT projects.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Pete from Boston

Do you have an E-ZPass where this is not the case?  What you were describing is like getting a separate bill from every store at which you use your credit card.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on December 30, 2015, 06:06:36 PM

Some of my last trips from Norfolk to Pittsburgh around 1995, I began to go 68 to 40(brownsville) to 43 to 70 to 79.  It took the same amount of time with no tolls and NO (what was then) an overcrowded turnpike from Breezewood to Butler Valley.  I was soooo much less stressed.

Wasn't there a toll plaza on 43 just before I-70?

cpzilliacus

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on December 31, 2015, 12:01:21 AM

There is one just south of I-70, yes - here.

Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

jeffandnicole

Of course, it all depends where you're going.  For me, US 30 is still gonna cost $5 to cross the Delaware!

rickmastfan67

Quote from: cpzilliacus on December 31, 2015, 03:27:45 PM
Quote from: rickmastfan67 on December 31, 2015, 12:01:21 AM

There is one just south of I-70, yes - here.

I know there's one there right now, but what he said was that he didn't have to pay any 'tolls'.  If that plaza was there, and he stayed on 43 to I-70, then he would have still had to pay at least that toll.

ARMOURERERIC

Yes, I had forgot about that booth, what was it like 50 cents or something.

MASTERNC

Looks like the eastbound toll booths at the new toll plaza in Bensalem will be mixed mode (the first ones I can recall at a major plaza on the ticketed portion of the Turnpike), meaning that E-ZPass customers can use any open toll lane (in addition to the Express lanes).  Normally, the cash exit lanes can't accept E-ZPass.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: cl94 on December 30, 2015, 11:23:43 PM

Convince your parents to elect new people and do the same when you're old enough. A lot of what's causing the high toll rates is Act 44. The tolls are funding PennDOT projects.

Not just PennDOT projects - but non-highway projects having nothing to do with the Turnpike, and wages and benefits paid to transit employees. 
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: cpzilliacus on January 02, 2016, 06:40:52 PM

Not just PennDOT projects - but non-highway projects having nothing to do with the Turnpike, and wages and benefits paid to transit employees. 

However...the PA Turnpike is funding non-PA Turnpike projects. 

If someone rarely or ever drives the PA Turnpike, they get the benefit of those that do as their local roads may be fixed - not by using tax dollars, but because others drove the Turnpike.

So explain again why someone should vote those politicians out of office?

cpzilliacus

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 02, 2016, 06:44:30 PM

Tolls paid by toll road patrons should be used to maintain and upgrade that toll road system along with (maybe) nearby related projects on "free" roads. 

Toll crossings and especially toll cordons in dense urban places that divert money to transit do not bother me nearly as much.

cl94

Quote from: cpzilliacus on January 03, 2016, 07:08:37 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 02, 2016, 06:44:30 PM

Tolls paid by toll road patrons should be used to maintain and upgrade that toll road system along with (maybe) nearby related projects on "free" roads. 

Toll crossings and especially toll cordons in dense urban that divert money to transit does not bother me nearly as much.

Because it goes to stuff on the other side of the state that has nothing to do with the Turnpike. I don't mind urban tolls supporting transit, either. I don't mind tolls supporting a major project elsewhere in the system (such as Tappan Zee, Grand Island and the upcoming Cheektowaga/West Seneca projects in New York). It's sending it to stuff that doesn't necessarily benefit anybody on the Turnpike system. That is where the problem comes.

jeffandnicole

But you're not getting the point. If taxes were raised that money could still be going elsewhere throughout the state.

Someone living in PA may not normally take the Turnpike. Higher tolls where the money funds local projects allows them to benefit from everyone else driving the Turnpike.

If a politician were to say: I'm going to fix your roads. Do you want me to raise your gas taxes causing you to pay more every time you fill up your tank, or raise the tolls on a road you never drive which won't cost you a penny more, which option do you think many will choose?

I'm not saying it's right or fair. I'm saying: A taxpayer, if given an option, will often take the one that benefits them the most. That's why it would be silly for a taxpayer to vote out a politician that found an alternate source of funding that didn't raise their taxes.

noelbotevera

Worthy of mention. Looks like the PA Turnpike is increasing the tolls by 6% already (toll hike occurred on the 3rd). It normally would be $1.70, now it is $1.80. Not even EZPass can save you at this point, but it's a fair cushion. Act 89 really seems to be angering people in PA. Maybe this governor is trash?
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

ixnay

Quote from: noelbotevera on January 05, 2016, 06:25:06 PM
Worthy of mention. Looks like the PA Turnpike is increasing the tolls by 6% again, on Sunday the 10th.

*Another* 6% hike seven days after the last one on Jan. 3? 

http://www.wgal.com/news/pa-turnpike-toll-increase-is-now-in-effect/37243100

Now granted the PTC is increasing tolls annually for the next 29 years per http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2015/07/how_much_pa_turnpike_commissio.html but...

ixnay

Bitmapped

Quote from: noelbotevera on January 05, 2016, 06:25:06 PM
Worthy of mention. Looks like the PA Turnpike is increasing the tolls by 6% again, on Sunday the 10th. It normally would be $1.70, now it is $1.80. Not even EZPass can save you at this point, but it's a fair cushion. Act 89 really seems to be angering people in PA. Maybe this governor is trash?

Act 89 was passed under the previous administration and it reduced the toll increases that would have happened if Act 44 had been left untouched. Not sure why you'd blame Governor Wolf for this.

Bitmapped

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 03, 2016, 10:02:23 PM
But you're not getting the point. If taxes were raised that money could still be going elsewhere throughout the state.

Someone living in PA may not normally take the Turnpike. Higher tolls where the money funds local projects allows them to benefit from everyone else driving the Turnpike.

If a politician were to say: I'm going to fix your roads. Do you want me to raise your gas taxes causing you to pay more every time you fill up your tank, or raise the tolls on a road you never drive which won't cost you a penny more, which option do you think many will choose?

I'm not saying it's right or fair. I'm saying: A taxpayer, if given an option, will often take the one that benefits them the most. That's why it would be silly for a taxpayer to vote out a politician that found an alternate source of funding that didn't raise their taxes.

WV is basically looking to do the same thing as PA did with Act 44. There's been talk of having the West Virginia Parkways Authority float a large bond to pay for WVDOH projects and increase WV Turnpike tolls to pay for it. The majority of Turnpike users are from out-of-state, so it mostly bite them rather than WV residents.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.