News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

PA Turnpike News

Started by mightyace, February 16, 2009, 05:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thenetwork

Quote from: Bitmapped on January 05, 2016, 08:11:07 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 03, 2016, 10:02:23 PM
But you're not getting the point. If taxes were raised that money could still be going elsewhere throughout the state.

Someone living in PA may not normally take the Turnpike. Higher tolls where the money funds local projects allows them to benefit from everyone else driving the Turnpike.

If a politician were to say: I'm going to fix your roads. Do you want me to raise your gas taxes causing you to pay more every time you fill up your tank, or raise the tolls on a road you never drive which won't cost you a penny more, which option do you think many will choose?

I'm not saying it's right or fair. I'm saying: A taxpayer, if given an option, will often take the one that benefits them the most. That's why it would be silly for a taxpayer to vote out a politician that found an alternate source of funding that didn't raise their taxes.

WV is basically looking to do the same thing as PA did with Act 44. There's been talk of having the West Virginia Parkways Authority float a large bond to pay for WVDOH projects and increase WV Turnpike tolls to pay for it. The majority of Turnpike users are from out-of-state, so it mostly bite them rather than WV residents.

Not to mention that there are 3 Toll Barriers on the mainline, but no tollbooths at any of the exits, except for US-19 North in Beckley.  Most "locals" don't pay to use the WV Turnpike at all because they know where they have to get on or off to avoid the tolls.  The only people who pay the tolls are, as was previously mentioned, the "out-of-towners" and those locals that will pay to "bypass" the free roads/slower traffic.

noelbotevera

Quote from: ixnay on January 05, 2016, 07:59:00 PM
Quote from: noelbotevera on January 05, 2016, 06:25:06 PM
Worthy of mention. Looks like the PA Turnpike is increasing the tolls by 6% again, on Sunday the 10th.

*Another* 6% hike seven days after the last one on Jan. 3? 

http://www.wgal.com/news/pa-turnpike-toll-increase-is-now-in-effect/37243100
ixnay
Typo. I edited my post.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

PHLBOS

Quote from: Bitmapped on January 05, 2016, 08:10:00 PM
Quote from: noelbotevera on January 05, 2016, 06:25:06 PMAct 89 really seems to be angering people in PA. Maybe this governor is trash?

Act 89 was passed under the previous administration and it reduced the toll increases that would have happened if Act 44 had been left untouched. Not sure why you'd blame Governor Wolf for this.
Correct

So, in a nutshell:

Act 89 was signed into law by Gov. Corbett (and many believe that's why he was shown the door in the 2014 elections).

Act 44 was signed into law by Gov. Rendell.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

CentralPAGal

Quote from: PHLBOS on January 06, 2016, 03:57:15 PM

Act 89 was signed into law by Gov. Corbett (and many believe that's why he was shown the door in the 2014 elections).

This is news to me. Can't say I recall hearing anything about it in the campaign. I recall the main issues being that he refused to tax natural gas extraction and that he wouldn't increase education spending. That said, Act 89 is one of the reasons I (albeit very unenthusiasticly) voted for Mr. Corbet over Mr. Wolf. They're both losers though.
Clinched:
I: 83, 97, 176, 180 (PA), 270 (MD), 283, 395 (MD), 470 (OH-WV), 471, 795 (MD)
Traveled:
I: 70, 71, 75, 76 (E), 78, 79, 80, 81, 86 (E), 95, 99, 270 (OH), 275 (KY-IN-OH), 376, 495 (MD-VA), 579, 595 (MD), 695 (MD)
US: 1, 9, 11, 13, 15, 22, 25, 30, 40, 42, 50, 113, 119, 127, 209, 220, 222, 301

Alps

Worthy of mention. Looks like the PA Turnpike is increasing the tolls by 6% again, on Sunday the 10th. It normally would be $1.70, now it is $1.80. Not even EZPass can save you at this point, but it's a fair cushion. Act 89 really seems to be angering people in PA. Maybe this governor is trash?

Act 89 was passed under the previous administration and it reduced the toll increases that would have happened if Act 44 had been left untouched. Not sure why you'd blame Governor Wolf for this.
11 year olds and politics do not mix.

TravelingBethelite

Quote from: CentralPAguy on January 06, 2016, 05:33:51 PM

This is news to me. Can't say I recall hearing anything about it in the campaign. I recall the main issues being that he refused to tax natural gas extraction and that he wouldn't increase education spending. That said, Act 89 is one of the reasons I (albeit very unenthusiasticly) voted for Mr. Corbet over Mr. Wolf. They're both losers though.

You can vote?
"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

empirestate

Quote from: Alps on January 06, 2016, 07:18:58 PM
Worthy of mention. Looks like the PA Turnpike is increasing the tolls by 6% again, on Sunday the 10th. It normally would be $1.70, now it is $1.80. Not even EZPass can save you at this point, but it's a fair cushion. Act 89 really seems to be angering people in PA. Maybe this governor is trash?

Agreed; it's too similar to adults and politics, and we've got quite enough of that already.

cl94

Quote from: thenetwork on January 05, 2016, 10:33:04 PM
Quote from: Bitmapped on January 05, 2016, 08:11:07 PM
But you're not getting the point. If taxes were raised that money could still be going elsewhere throughout the state.

Someone living in PA may not normally take the Turnpike. Higher tolls where the money funds local projects allows them to benefit from everyone else driving the Turnpike.

If a politician were to say: I'm going to fix your roads. Do you want me to raise your gas taxes causing you to pay more every time you fill up your tank, or raise the tolls on a road you never drive which won't cost you a penny more, which option do you think many will choose?

I'm not saying it's right or fair. I'm saying: A taxpayer, if given an option, will often take the one that benefits them the most. That's why it would be silly for a taxpayer to vote out a politician that found an alternate source of funding that didn't raise their taxes.

WV is basically looking to do the same thing as PA did with Act 44. There's been talk of having the West Virginia Parkways Authority float a large bond to pay for WVDOH projects and increase WV Turnpike tolls to pay for it. The majority of Turnpike users are from out-of-state, so it mostly bite them rather than WV residents.

Not to mention that there are 3 Toll Barriers on the mainline, but no tollbooths at any of the exits, except for US-19 North in Beckley.  Most "locals" don't pay to use the WV Turnpike at all because they know where they have to get on or off to avoid the tolls.  The only people who pay the tolls are, as was previously mentioned, the "out-of-towners" and those locals that will pay to "bypass" the free roads/slower traffic.

And if you have a WV E-ZPass, you don't pay in Beckley. The northernmost 2 booths are quite easy to get around-there's a parallel road. The southern one is a bit trickier because you have to get over to US 19. Still, the booths take 5, 10, and 15 minutes to avoid (going from north to south).
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

PHLBOS

A few Wolf ads. (not 100% sure if such was directly from the Wolf campaign or an independent group that supported Wolf) that aired in southeastern PA pointed out that Corbett raised taxes (via Act 89) and, hence, renegged on his 2010 campaign promise not to raise taxes.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

CentralPAGal

Quote from: TravelingBethelite on January 06, 2016, 07:56:05 PM

You can vote?

Are you possibly confusing me with someone else?
Clinched:
I: 83, 97, 176, 180 (PA), 270 (MD), 283, 395 (MD), 470 (OH-WV), 471, 795 (MD)
Traveled:
I: 70, 71, 75, 76 (E), 78, 79, 80, 81, 86 (E), 95, 99, 270 (OH), 275 (KY-IN-OH), 376, 495 (MD-VA), 579, 595 (MD), 695 (MD)
US: 1, 9, 11, 13, 15, 22, 25, 30, 40, 42, 50, 113, 119, 127, 209, 220, 222, 301

MASTERNC

Surprised nobody commented about the major bottleneck going up to the Allegheny Tunnel during this weekend's snow storm.  Hundreds of vehicles, including buses with students & college athletes, were stranded for nearly 24 hours.

Not sure why the PTC is reviewing the incident (seems like a bureaucratic answer).  A combination of a construction-narrowed mountain climb and lack of turnarounds are the major issues.

http://mobile.philly.com/beta?wss=/philly/news&id=366365931

wanderer2575

Exactly.  It's the same as a municipality enacting taxes on hotel occupancy and car rentals.  It's all about getting someone else to pay for what we want.

jemacedo9

Quote from: MASTERNC on January 24, 2016, 07:49:21 PM
Surprised nobody commented about the major bottleneck going up to the Allegheny Tunnel during this weekend's snow storm.  Hundreds of vehicles, including buses with students & college athletes, were stranded for nearly 24 hours.

Not sure why the PTC is reviewing the incident (seems like a bureaucratic answer).  A combination of a construction-narrowed mountain climb and lack of turnarounds are the major issues.

This might be interesting to watch...this article states that the PTC "would investigate whether the tractor-trailers should have been on the Turnpike in the first place."  A different article had another quote about the potential of banning trucks in the left lane during weather events.

Chris19001

Quote from: jemacedo9 on January 25, 2016, 07:00:00 AMthis article states that the PTC "would investigate whether the tractor-trailers should have been on the Turnpike in the first place."  A different article had another quote about the potential of banning trucks in the left lane during weather events.
I believe the "banning" had to do with empty trailers which were subject to the crosswinds.  I'm not sure how exactly you advertise that to traffic already on the road subject to white-out conditions, if it's not already a rule.

dgolub

Quote from: empirestate on January 06, 2016, 08:02:40 PM
Quote from: Alps on January 06, 2016, 07:18:58 PM

Agreed; it's too similar to adults and politics, and we've got quite enough of that already.

Yeah, just look at some of the surveys on how many Americans think that Judge Judy is on the Supreme Court and that sort of stuff.  I dare say that there are 11 year olds who are more informed would-be voters than plenty of the adults who are eligible to vote.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: jemacedo9 on January 25, 2016, 07:00:00 AM

This might be interesting to watch...this article states that the PTC "would investigate whether the tractor-trailers should have been on the Turnpike in the first place."  A different article had another quote about the potential of banning trucks in the left lane during weather events.

It's all blah-blah-blah from the PA Turnpike.  Less than two years ago, they had another incident closer to Philly during a snowstorm that closed the highway for an extensive period of time.  They said they would review things then.  Clearly, whatever 'Review' they did resulted in nothing being done.

cl94

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 25, 2016, 09:21:06 AM

It's all blah-blah-blah from the PA Turnpike.  Less than two years ago, they had another incident closer to Philly during a snowstorm that closed the highway for an extensive period of time.  They said they would review things then.  Clearly, whatever 'Review' they did resulted in nothing being done.

Hmmm...sounds like NYSTA. At least PA's governor didn't blame motorists for the issues unlike Cuomo, who blamed motorists for NYSTA's issues in Buffalo last winter.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

MASTERNC

Actually, an article I read today said construction limited trucks to the left lane.  There were two trucks side by side (illegally) who then collided somehow, causing the backup behind them.

http://www.post-gazette.com/news/transportation/2016/01/24/Turnpike-remains-closed-but-officials-hope-to-have-it-reopened-today/stories/201601240204

Roadgeek Adam

Of course, they're also looking for excuses to abandon the Allegheny Mountain Tunnel. This just adds to the ammunition.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on January 25, 2016, 07:33:30 PM

Of course, they're also looking for excuses to abandon the Allegheny Mountain Tunnel. This just adds to the ammunition.

How does that matter?  With (or without) the tunnel, the Turnpike traffic still has to ascend the grade to get through (or past) the crest of Allegheny Mountain.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Roadgeek Adam

Quote from: cpzilliacus on January 25, 2016, 09:49:16 PM

How does that matter?  With (or without) the tunnel, the Turnpike traffic still has to ascend the grade to get through (or past) the crest of Allegheny Mountain.

Understood, but I'm stating that the PTC wants to can the tunnels or add a 3rd. Just noting that this accident could be seen as more ammo.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on January 25, 2016, 11:30:46 PM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on January 25, 2016, 09:49:16 PM

Understood, but I'm stating that the PTC wants to can the tunnels or add a 3rd. Just noting that this accident could be seen as more ammo.

The issue is going to come down to regarding whether trucks should be on the Turnpike at all during a snowstorm.  I still don't see how this relates to a new tunnel or tunnel bypass whatsoever.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 26, 2016, 06:30:51 AM
The issue is going to come down to regarding whether trucks should be on the Turnpike at all during a snowstorm.  I still don't see how this relates to a new tunnel or tunnel bypass whatsoever.

I agree.  One thing that Colorado does (at least on I-70) is to mandate that trucks have chains on-board and ready for use if they are headed between Denver and Grand Junction during the snow season (which is long there (October to May) thanks to the high elevations).

It might not be a bad idea for states to impose similar requirements on mountainous Interstates in the East, including the mountain parts of the Pennsylvania Turnpike (Carlisle to Cranberry and the Northeast Extension north of Exit 56 {Lehigh Valley), "Free" I-70 east of Breezewood, I-68, I-64, I-77, I-26, I-81 north of Harrisburg and I-40 (and probably others).
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

SteveG1988

Quote from: cpzilliacus on January 26, 2016, 03:12:39 PM

I agree.  One thing that Colorado does (at least on I-70) is to mandate that trucks have chains on-board and ready for use if they are headed between Denver and Grand Junction during the snow season (which is long there (October to May) thanks to the high elevations).

It might not be a bad idea for states to impose similar requirements on mountainous Interstates in the East, including the mountain parts of the Pennsylvania Turnpike (Carlisle to Cranberry and the Northeast Extension north of Exit 56 {Lehigh Valley), "Free" I-70 east of Breezewood, I-68, I-64, I-77, I-26, I-81 north of Harrisburg and I-40 (and probably others).

Most chain laws have them on roads where if you get stuck, nobody will be able to get to you for hours on end. Oregon's law is "chains will only be used to get you to the nearest safe haven" basically not to be driven on for more than is required.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

cl94

Quote from: cpzilliacus on January 26, 2016, 03:12:39 PM

Vermont has a similar requirement along VT 9 with chain-up areas. I couldn't imagine going through there in the snow. Bad enough when it's dry out.

I-87 would probably benefit from such a requirement in the Adirondacks. The NB downgrade north of Exit 31 has seen some horrendous winter accidents and cell service is spotty at best. It's one of the locations in New York that should probably have runaway truck ramps but doesn't.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.