News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

ARRRRGGGGHHHH! Why NOW?????

Started by jeffandnicole, August 09, 2018, 01:37:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

abefroman329

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on August 10, 2018, 07:51:17 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on August 10, 2018, 04:46:03 PM
I don't hear too many prank calls these days. With caller ID and other bullshit, it's harder to get away with it.

It's more that people just don't answer calls from numbers they don't recognize nowadays. All the nonsense from what are, essentially, telephone spammers who spoof caller IDs hasn't helped. Personally, unless it's from a number I know, or I'm expecting a phone call, I don't answer the phone anymore. If it was important, they'll leave a voicemail and I can call them back.
I think it's more that there are other options for bored kids to entertain themselves.

hbelkins

Quote from: abefroman329 on August 11, 2018, 08:27:27 AM
Quote from: MNHighwayMan on August 10, 2018, 07:51:17 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on August 10, 2018, 04:46:03 PM
I don't hear too many prank calls these days. With caller ID and other bullshit, it's harder to get away with it.

It's more that people just don't answer calls from numbers they don't recognize nowadays. All the nonsense from what are, essentially, telephone spammers who spoof caller IDs hasn't helped. Personally, unless it's from a number I know, or I'm expecting a phone call, I don't answer the phone anymore. If it was important, they'll leave a voicemail and I can call them back.
I think it's more that there are other options for bored kids to entertain themselves.

Reminds me of something that happened years ago to my grandmother. She fell and broke her leg when I was a senior in high school (1979) and after that, she was slowed down considerably and used a walker in her later years. I was at her house one day in the late 1980s and the phone rang. She was in the kitchen so I answered it. It was a young teenage girl who was prank calling. I hung up, the phone rang again and it was the same girl. So I read her the riot act. Told her she was calling a handicapped elderly woman who had trouble getting up and getting to the phone, and it was definitely not funny. The girl ended up saying who she was and it turns out I knew her. She played on a middle school basketball team I covered for the local paper and lived about six miles from me in a very remote area of the county, and was just doing prank calls because she was bored. I have a feeling she never did that again after she got a lesson in how inconvenient those things can be.

Anyone who knows me knows I'm not a mean person at all, but my grandmother had been getting a lot of those calls and the phone was located a bit away from where she usually sat. I knew how hard it was for her to get up and answer the phone (this was back in the days before cordless phones were affordable) so I was unhappy that she was being pranked.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Duke87

I can't say I've ever missed a photo like this because, like many other respondents here, I don't use my phone as a camera for taking road photos. I own multiple actual cameras.

I did, however, have an actual camera break on me at Mount Rushmore. Resultingly, the only photos of the monument I have are either not from the optimal vantage point or of cellphone camera quality because that is what I had to fall back on.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.